Unraveling the codes of indexable cutters

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

I like using the indexable inserts but after ordering quite a few am still very ignorant when I shop around.

As an example; trying to determine the difference between a CCMT insert with a 7 degree positive single side and a CNMG or CNEG insert with 80 degree negative double side often drives me nuts!

I can usually figure out the single and double sided part but the rest is GREEK, a language I did not study!

I keep seeing references to ISO standards but have googled ISO indexable inserts and got hit with millions of pages to choose from and only got more confused.

I use a lot of the TCGX 21.52 inserts just because I know they are the little triangular shaped cutters that fit my tool holders and the .52 means a larger radius tha .51 and it makes smoother cuts in ebonite! I recently learned that the TCGX 21.52 - LH means they are made for cutting aluminum.... why I don't know, nothing tells me about the angles or sharpness :)

Is there ONE table that shows how the certain letters apply to shape, size, etc?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

George:
I did study Greek (at least enough to get me to the frat house with the most beer).

You lost me at "80 degree double side negative". I don't think it's Greek, EITHER!

Now, I really lost on indexing cutters.

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Well Ken I recognized the speed limit sign,the stop sign the caution sign but some of the others I still don't understand.

bitshird

Well Ken I recognized the speed limit sign,the stop sign the caution sign but some of the others I still don't understand.

You should try working in a tool room at an air craft manufacturing plant with 800 to 1000 people on the floor. And people wonder why I used to drink!!!

Paul in OKC

Shoot, I been running machines for almost 35 years now and still don't know all about them thangs. Do know what the last number represents, though, the radius of the tip. If the above chart didn't show that.......1 is 1/64(.015ish), 2 is 1/32(.032), etc t goes in 1/64 increments.

PenMan1

Shoot, I been running machines for almost 35 years now and still don't know all about them thangs. Do know what the last number represents, though, the radius of the tip. If the above chart didn't show that.......1 is 1/64(.015ish), 2 is 1/32(.032), etc t goes in 1/64 increments.

Paul:
Thanks for this post! I've got more degrees than a themometer and I'm totally intemidated with my new "project"

I UNDERSTAND "ISH"!!!!!!

Texatdurango

This is odd...... I couldn't sleep so got up and started surfing the web for some miniature boring bars that use indexable inserts and came to this thread to get Kens link to Carbide Depot and see your post showing the reference material and NOW.... here it is 3 AM and I'm reading about "Choosing Insert Shapes"!

THis "Technical Resources" area is great............. will probably keep me up several more hours, I might as well put some coffee on! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom