Trying soft metals with Wood lathe--do I need to upgrade - Page 4 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Metal Lathes
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #31 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish30114 View Post
Well guys, I've checked it every way since sliced bread. I put two dead centers in the headstock and tailstock and they meet dead on when I slide the tailstock up to the headstock, and also when I crank the tailstock quill out throughout it's entire range the points are still meeting the same.
It's a lot easier to get perfect head & tailstock alignment using the Nova Acruline -- and at less than $20 it's a cheap tool.

Simple to use: loosen the headstock clamping screw till you can rotate the headstock, loosen the 4 hex bolts on the plate under the tailstock. Extend the quill and tighten the locking screw. Slip one end of the Acruline into the headstock taper, slide the tailstock onto the other end, and push until it's tight. Lock down the headstock, lock down the hex bolts under the tailstock. Clamp the tailstock to the lathe bed, then retract the quill pulling it off the Acruline. Tap it out of the headstock with the knock-out bar.

I do this 4 or 5 minute exercise before starting any project that requires accurate drilling just in I knocked it out of alignment turning a bowl or such.

duncsuss is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #32 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Duncuss, I have the Accruline, and I have found a way that it works a charm, the issue with the approach you outlined, is that if you have all 4 bolts (hex head machine screws) loosened, there is nothing holding the adjustment you made to the tailstock whilst you slide it off the rails and tighten those bolts back up. I have found it is key to just loosen SLIGHTLY the screws that would be in the orientation that you want to move the tailstock in--i.e. if you need to move the tailstock up and to the left, then you would loosen, SLIGHTLY, the bolts at the front left and the the right rear.

This has worked a charm on my NOVA DVR XP
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-28-2018, 10:40 PM   #33 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
This has worked a charm on my NOVA DVR XP
Excellent method for lathes that are bench-mounted; my 1624-44 is on legs, so I'm able to reach underneath and tighten those hex-head bolts while the tailstock is still attached to the headstock through the Acruline.

duncsuss is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2018, 07:49 AM   #34 (permalink)

Photos: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpens View Post
Don't ask me why, but copper is really tricky to turn and drill ... stay away from it until you get expert advice, which I am not. . Copper seems to "grab" for me.

You should not have a problem with brass if you are careful and take light cuts, although brass can "grab" if you don't have the right shape and orientation of cutting tools.

To join the thread; Copper, bronze, and brass work better with a cutting tool (including drill bits).... Oh boy how to explain this??

The cutting tool should be a scrape cut, not a shearing cut. On drill bits you can put a flat on very edge of the cutting flutes. The flat should be parallel to axis of the drill bit. Take a look at this video. This works with copper too.

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. -- Stephen Grellet
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-29-2018, 07:57 AM   #35 (permalink)

Photos: 61

Quote:
it is certainlu possible that I have a misalignment--how would one go about figuring this out, and more importantly, how would one go about correcting this.
Don; Look in the Wiki for Lathe Alignment. This doesn't require a lot of tools and is good for checking the actual alignment of the lathe head stock and tail stock.

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. -- Stephen Grellet
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads