Trying soft metals with Wood lathe--do I need to upgrade - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Metal Lathes
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2018, 04:38 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I just went back to the beginning of the thread where you said that you have no problems with a square pen blank. Is there any possibility that the end that you are trying to drill is somewhat concave or otherwise out of square which would tend to make the drill (even a center drill) walk a little?

I've got some other ideas but I'd like to take care of this one first.

Bill
bmachin is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-15-2018, 05:42 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmachin View Post
I just went back to the beginning of the thread where you said that you have no problems with a square pen blank. Is there any possibility that the end that you are trying to drill is somewhat concave or otherwise out of square which would tend to make the drill (even a center drill) walk a little?

I've got some other ideas but I'd like to take care of this one first.

Bill
Good idea, just how square is square?
Old 01-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 5

I think that the wood is more forgiving square or round than a metal rod is.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2018, 07:12 PM   #24 (permalink)

Well guys, I've checked it every way since sliced bread. I put two dead centers in the headstock and tailstock and they meet dead on when I slide the tailstock up to the headstock, and also when I crank the tailstock quill out throughout it's entire range the points are still meeting the same. On the stock I'm using it is pretty true on the end, I've used the end that it came with which with a square from Woodpeckers was very square and on the ends where I cut the stock, I put the stock in a v-block and then sanded it smooth on my disc sander, and it measured square as can be. When I chuck it up the piece does not run square/true--it's like the round stock is bent-but I can't tell that with a ruler/square when holding it against the stock, but when I turn the chuck I can visually see a high and low point--so even a center drill is not hitting the center of the piece???? This is very frustrating, there is no way I could drill a 2.5 mm hole for a refill to protrude through that would be centered--so there is no way I could build an entire pen--this is driving me crazy, because whether I use bushings to TBC pens, or a mandrel they both check out with a dial indicator to be extremely true and my turnings are totally symmetrical....
This round metal stock is driving me crazy.

Last edited by Fish30114; 01-15-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 18

Check your jaws, description sounds like there is something on one pushing the rod off center.

Stabilized blanks and more
Gary Beasley is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #26 (permalink)

Sorry if I was a little unclear when I said out of square. What I meant was: is the end of the workpiece not perpendicular to the axis of the lathe. I also meant to say convex rather than concave. either of those conditions could cause a drill to walk. I agree that wood or plastic is more forgiving which is why I always make my end surfaces a little bit concave when I'm working with metals on the wood lathe.

From the original statement of the problem, it sounds like you marked a center on you workpiece, chucked it up, and found out that you drill wouldn't hit the center mark. If that's a fair statement, then the simplest explanation and one that is easy to check is that the stock or the drill is bent.

Take the bar out of the chuck and roll it on a smooth surface. I should roll smoothly. If not, you may be able to straighten it, or you can put it between centers and turn it straight.

I think that this is the simplest explanation, but I've got a million of 'em. Just want to try and keep them in some sort of logical order without getting too deep into the weeds with jigs and dial indicators (at least not yet).

Bill
bmachin is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-15-2018, 08:35 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmachin View Post
Sorry if I was a little unclear when I said out of square. What I meant was: is the end of the workpiece not perpendicular to the axis of the lathe. I also meant to say convex rather than concave. either of those conditions could cause a drill to walk. I agree that wood or plastic is more forgiving which is why I always make my end surfaces a little bit concave when I'm working with metals on the wood lathe.

From the original statement of the problem, it sounds like you marked a center on you workpiece, chucked it up, and found out that you drill wouldn't hit the center mark. If that's a fair statement, then the simplest explanation and one that is easy to check is that the stock or the drill is bent.

Take the bar out of the chuck and roll it on a smooth surface. I should roll smoothly. If not, you may be able to straighten it, or you can put it between centers and turn it straight.

I think that this is the simplest explanation, but I've got a million of 'em. Just want to try and keep them in some sort of logical order without getting too deep into the weeds with jigs and dial indicators (at least not yet).

Bill
Thanks Bill, This sounds to smart brother--I will do that

And Gary, I will investigate my jaws as I'm not sure on their involvement--or lack thereof....
Old 01-17-2018, 09:48 AM   #28 (permalink)

Guy, I don't know how else to check my jaws than to chuck up a known round object in them and see if that runs true against my tool holder mounted dial indicator--which I got from Rick Herrell and so I did that and chucked up a precision stainless 1/2 drill blank into the chuck and it ran very true, and a drill in the Jacobs chuck hit the marked center dead on--so I am going to figure that the rod stock I'm trying to turn has various odd bends in it because several pieces I cut from it--of pretty short-like 2.25" are what aren't running true--I also got a new piece I cut have the drill bit-center drill-hit very close to the marked center, so I used a new drill bit I got from Drill Bits America, and it drilled the copper very effectively--so maybe I've got the issue kinda cornered.

I appreciate everyone's input and I still am noodling about buying a metal lathe--I would really like to be able to build some totally metal pens, possibly even some out of titanium, but for sure be able to drill a nib hole in a piece of copper, brass & aluminum.

Thanks again--Don
Old 01-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #29 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Default Soft Metals

I cast and turn a lot of Pewter on my wood lathe. Turns beautiful with a gorgous finish. What's also great is you can recyle all the chips back into the melting pot.
Bob Roehrig is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Roehrig View Post
I cast and turn a lot of Pewter on my wood lathe. Turns beautiful with a gorgous finish. What's also great is you can recyle all the chips back into the melting pot.
Very interesting Sir!
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads