Trying soft metals with Wood lathe--do I need to upgrade - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Metal Lathes
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

If the hole in the stock is bigger than the OD of the bit,the chuck and the bit are not aligned.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

I have centre drills because I need them but I’ve found a spotting drill to be more accurate on the lathe for starting holes. They aren’t expensive.
Woodster Will is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4dan View Post
Online metals is a good source of information and to buy stock for turning. Good descriptions of different metal grades to learn what is better for turning. For instance some bronze is stronger than steel and 303 Stainless steel is Free machining and turns easier than 304 or 316 SS. Online Metal Store | Small Quantity Metal Orders | Metal Cutting, Sales & Shipping | Buy Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Brass, Stainless | Metal Product Guides at OnlineMetals.com

The also have HDHP and Nylon rods that make great bushings for applying CA.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
Dan, thanks for that input--I never thought about my headstock and tailstock possibly being meeting point to point but not aligned...
At any rate I'll keep working on it, and try to figure things out--I buy my drill bits from DBA-Drill Bits of America, and the principal there is great about knowing which kind of bits to use on what materials, so I'll check with him about which bits I should be using.
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

What no one seems to talk about is learning all the settings on your bit sharpener. You can make split points which drill to center better. You can reduce the pitch for harder to manage materials like copper. I use the 500 Drill Doctor so I don't have the stand off adjustment to reduce grinding amounts so I just use a shim for that.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

Turtle Tom, it seems that the hole in the stock is SLIGHTLY oversized so it is certainlu possible that I have a misalignment--how would one go about figuring this out, and more importantly, how would one go about correcting this.

Woodster Willie, I am not beyond looking for and buying some spotting drills, so I appreciate that input.

Thanks folks--Don
Old 01-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #16 (permalink)

Default bit alignment

[quote=Fish30114;1961306]Turtle Tom, it seems that the hole in the stock is SLIGHTLY oversized so it is certainlu possible that I have a misalignment--how would one go about figuring this out, and more importantly, how would one go about correcting this.

Woodster Willie, I am not beyond looking for and buying some spotting drills, so I appreciate that input.

I think you said it worked fine in square stock, so check that.``
Old 01-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #17 (permalink)

OK Tom, will do!
Old 01-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

I've frequently use the tool rest to check centering in the chuck, In the machine shop you'd use an indicator to find the high and low spots and would tell you quickly whether your chuck is not turning true. The tool rest up close and use a pencil on wood also will show the high spot. The length of line will show how bad. Longer the line the better it is.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTom View Post
I've frequently use the tool rest to check centering in the chuck, In the machine shop you'd use an indicator to find the high and low spots and would tell you quickly whether your chuck is not turning true. The tool rest up close and use a pencil on wood also will show the high spot. The length of line will show how bad. Longer the line the better it is.
That is such a good idea!

Non Impedite Raditioni Cogitationis.
(Unencumbered by the thought process.)
Tom and Ray Magliozzi
thewishman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 5

I've been thinking about how you might check alignment on a wood lathe. On a metal lathe I used a test indicator (+-15/10,000") and make sure the head is parallel with the bed and then make sure the tail stock is also parallel with the bed. Then I adjust the tail to align with the head. Now everything is inline and aligned. I shimmed the headstock and tail stock to get them inline and adjusted the tail stock to align them.

You don't have these options on the wood lathe. You could try this to check for inline and aligned. Just not sure what you can do about what you find.

Put a center in the head stock and on in the tail stock. Lightly pinch a small metal rule between the 2 centers. The rule will exaggerate the offset, check front to back and up and down. I would check with the quill all the way in and all the way out and see if the alignment changes. IF it changes, this would indicate the two ends aren't inline. You could try different ways of pushing/twisting the tail stock when clamping it to get better and more consistent results. The problem with a wood lathe is it only check for alignment/inline at that one place on the lathe bed. A different spot might have a different issue.

You can also set up a dial indicator to make sure your material is properly centered when you chuck it up. Turn the chuck by hand while indicating on the OD of your metal rod at the right end. bump it on the high spot while tightening it so the rod ends up turning without a "wobble". I try to get it within 1-3 thousandths.
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads