Trying to Decide Between 2 Metal Lathes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey All

I am trying to decide between 2 metal lathes. I've narrowed it down to 2 choices:

The first is the Precision Matthews 1030 with basic DRO. Here is the link to its specs:

https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1022v-pm-1030v/

The second is the Hi-Torque 8.5x20 Deluxe from Little Machine Shop. Here is the link to its specs:

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3595&category=1271799306

Does anyone have any opinion or experience with these lathes?

Any input is appreciated.

"Pen Turning on the Rock"

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

I don't have either but both are used and liked by people here.You will be brutalized with the exchange, transportation and taxes bringing them here unless you winter down south and can bring one back with you in your motorhome. Have you looked a BusyBee or another Canadian seller? Maybe not as posh and only one province over if you want to pick it up.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Although it might not seem important now, the Pm has a larger bore through the spindle, it also has a larger chuck, which means you can handle larger work projects. It doesnt say what the travel is on the Quill for the LMS one but its probably about the same 3 inches. That will impact your drilling depth capabilities if its different. If you can swing it the digital read outs on either machine drastically improves your work flow. Both are good machines but the PM is better.

magpens

As Curly said, the add-on charges could kill you.

Depending on what you want to do with the lathe, a smaller model, such as the smallest available from Busy Bee might be suitable. . I have been using such a lathe for 10 years and it has been adequate for me. . It is actually a Sieg brand lathe, but different retailers package and paint it differently. . I got mine from Princess Auto and I think the same model is still available there. . Made in China, of course, but fully standard in all fittings and accessories which are readily available from Grizzly and other places if you can't get the bits you need from Busy Bee (Princess Auto does not have accessories). . Another good source of accessories is Little Machine Shop (LMS).

Here's a link to the Princess Auto lathe ... mine is red ... they often go on sale for $200 - $300 off the list price. . Princess Auto has an incredible 2-year return-if-you-don't-like policy. . There is a Princess Auto store in your provincial capital city ... as you probably know !

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-3-hp-mini-metalworking-lathe/A-p8507659e

Last edited:

bmachin

I'm in agreement with What Mike Redburn says..

Regarding the DRO's on the two machines:

The DRO on the PM machine is a true DRO which will give you the position of the carriage and the cross slide absolutely with respect to some zero that you set without respect to the direction of movement of either.

The DRO's on the LMS machine are really just rev counters on the cross slide and compound that replace/enhance the engraved dials on those cranks. You will always need to take backlash into consideration when using them.

One other thing that the PM machine offers is 4 different power feed speeds. This can become important (although probably not in pen turning). The LMS machine offers 2.

Just some thoughts,

Bill

frank123

If precision is reasonably close and you have the space for either one ...

Larger is better than smaller.

Heavier is better than lighter.

More power is better than less power.

Price is always a factor to consider as well.

BKelley

I have the LMS 8.5 X 16 and have never regretted buying it. I understand the PM lathe is good. What made up my mind was all the good reports of LMS service. Their service is GOOD and they always stand ready to help. Either choice would be good, but I think I would have to go with LMS.

Ben

Top Bottom