Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Attachments

• 10x12_Lathe.JPG
    10x12_Lathe.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 323

PatrickR

I don't know about that one but I got a 7x14 a few months ago and am having fun with it. The price seems high for the size but some of the parts look better than mine. I don't mind the plastic gears for now. They are quieter. I had a crash and trashed a gear. If it had metal gears who knows what would have broken.

BeeAMaker

Nope, but did you notice the shipping cost???

This is what I'm seeing... The freight looks a touch steep.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=167708&stc=1&d=1505161103

Not sure how Amazon works, but my screen say Free Shipping right after the price, I've even added it to my cart and still show $0.00 for shipping. Location maybe?

I'm a prime member too - not sure if that matters.

But I'm more interested in if anyone has had experience with either one. I would rather spend a bit more if I can get a better quality one for around $1,200.00

PatrickR

The top one is what I have. Good for the money but if your willing to go to $1200 you can do better. I wouldn't want any smaller than a 14". Check Grizzly and Little Machine Shop.

Reactions: ALA

bmachin

Just from looking at them, I'm not quite sure what they are, but I don't think either is a Sieg which most mini lathes are. If that is the case you may be doomed when it comes to parts. If they are Siegs, Little Machine Shop should have all the parts you will ever need.

The specs are not to my amateur eye professionally written. The positive reviews for both the Totool and OrangeA can't possibly be taken seriously as real IMHO.

I would stay away from these and go elsewhere: LMS, Grizzly, Micro Mark, Harbor Freight, etc

Look at specs carefully. Everybody uses inch leadscrews, but only Micro mark uses inch based screws on the cross slide and compound. Their shipping is also quite reasonable to Indiana compared to LMS. LMS has a spec comparison chart that shows the machines that they sell compared to Micro Mark and stock Sieg. As far as I know Micro Mark and LMS order thier machines from Sieg with the most extensive modifications.

Hope I haven't muddied the waters too much.

Bill

greenacres2

I'm logged in as a Prime member and seeing shipping at almost as much as the lathe.

edit--now I see, the little brother has free shipping.

earl

Last edited:

BeeAMaker

Just from looking at them, I'm not quite sure what they are, but I don't think either is a Sieg which most mini lathes are. If that is the case you may be doomed when it comes to parts. If they are Siegs, Little Machine Shop should have all the parts you will ever need.

The specs are not to my amateur eye professionally written. The positive reviews for both the Totool and OrangeA can't possibly be taken seriously as real IMHO.

I would stay away from these and go elsewhere: LMS, Grizzly, Micro Mark, Harbor Freight, etc

Look at specs carefully. Everybody uses inch leadscrews, but only Micro mark uses inch based screws on the cross slide and compound. Their shipping is also quite reasonable to Indiana compared to LMS. LMS has a spec comparison chart that shows the machines that they sell compared to Micro Mark and stock Sieg. As far as I know Micro Mark and LMS order thier machines from Sieg with the most extensive modifications.

Hope I haven't muddied the waters too much.

Bill

Actually very helpful, thanks.
I have been considering this one from LMS
HiTorque 7x16 Deluxe Mini Lathe 5200 - LittleMachineShop.com
OR possibly this one,
https://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet...d-bench-metal-lathe-with-quick-change-gearbox
EDIT: I meant this one,
https://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet...-metal-lathe-w-4-3-jaw-chuck-two-sets-of-jaws

I'm in no hurry so I need to take the time to familiarize myself with all the specifications and learn which are most important to consider.
I'm sure the ones from amazon are china.

Last edited:

magpens

I have not used that particular lathe. . It looks and specs quite similar to the LittleMachineShop Hi-Torque lathe.

I have been using one like this (not bought from Grizzly because they are not in Canada):

https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G868...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SDAV4E0PKAD38TMFXA83

There are many sellers of this basic lathe and I think they are all made in the same factory in China .... based on the Sieg lathe design.

I have been using my lathe quite steadily for 8 years without any problems ... 1000 pens.

I believe the lathe you referenced is a better quality than mine.

eharri446

The only draw back that I can see is that there does not appear to be a graduated scale for indicating the angle when offsetting the tool rest for doing tapered cuts.

I think that my Harbor Freight 7X10 has a few more gears included than that one but those may or may not be needed.

Top Bottom