Tool Rests

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
don't know how old this part of the forum is but here goes.... I have a mini metal lathe that i turn pens on, my question is, can i possibly turn a duck call on my metal lathe, can a tool rest be set up on this metal lathe so i can use hand tools instead of the tool rest that comes with the lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dbledsoe

You can make or buy (depending on your tool post) a tool rest for that purpose. I think I have seen them on Little Machine Shop website.

randyrls

don't know how old this part of the forum is but here goes.... I have a mini metal lathe that i turn pens on, my question is, can i possibly turn a duck call on my metal lathe, can a tool rest be set up on this metal lathe so i can use hand tools instead of the tool rest that comes with the lathe?

William; Yes you can. This photos shows my made tool rest for a 9x20 metal lathe. The bar is a piece of 1" square steel tubing. The two t-nuts clamp the bar to the cross slide. You don't see that the end of the bar is filled with epoxy to hold the post in place.

If you have a mini-lathe, you will have to come up with a way to mount the cross bar on the cross slide. You could also mount a round bar to the compound slide, but you probably will need a way to raise and lower the tool rest.

MetalLatheToolPost.jpg

figured out a t bar for metal lathe

was at a friends shop today playing around and figured out the t bar issue i had asked about earlier. we used a 1/2 aluminum rod and a flat piece of aluminum with a hole drilled to accommodate the thread that holds the head on my metal lathe. came home and used it, works great and rock solid

Attachments

• IMG_1429.jpg
    IMG_1429.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 187
Top Bottom