Thanks for adding to my addiction

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

razor524

I have a real tool acquiring problem and now this metal lathe section is giving me the shakes again. Do you think that the lathe from Harbor Freight is the way to go for a metal turning beginner, or should I think abouth the one from Micro Mark, or some other place. I know asking for opinions is asking to be pointed in a lot of directions, but that is fine with me!! I would like to spend under $1,000 and would mostly be trying to make metal pens, threading, etc. and other small parts to incorporate into woodwoorking (handles, etc).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bluwolf

I don't know if Harbor Freight has a 7x12. The one I always see advertised is the 7x10. That is a definite no. There's not enough room between centers. By the time you use the chuck, put in a drill chuck in the tailstock, a die holder for cutting threads, etc, etc. there's not enough room to really do anything. The one from Micromark is nice. Depends on if you want the extra few inches between centers for the difference in price. There's also this one from Little Machine Shop. It's supposed to have the most grunt in the motor. I also don't think LMS would put their name on anything lathe that wasn't pretty good as their business is that type of lathe.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/4100

Even if you get the one from Micromark I would get all your tooling from LMS. They have a much nicer QCTP as well as the rest of their tooling. Your $1000 budget might be close but I think you might need just a few bucks more. If you got your whole list together and ordered the lathe from LMS I would think that they would stick all your tooling with it and ship it for free. Plus, their folks are very knowledgeable.

Just my 2 cents,
Mike

rherrell

This is a heads up, I'm getting a new lathe in a few weeks and will be selling my Micro-Mark 7x14. It's in great condition and I've done alot of mods to it. It will sell with the cabinet stand, 4 different chucks and alot more. The price will be ALOT less than the $1,000 you're talking about.

Shipping will be pretty high though, probably around $100-$150 so keep that in mind. I'm in northern NC for pick-up.

bluwolf

This is a heads up, I'm getting a new lathe in a few weeks and will be selling my Micro-Mark 7x14. It's in great condition and I've done alot of mods to it. It will sell with the cabinet stand, 4 different chucks and alot more. The price will be ALOT less than the $1,000 you're talking about.

Shipping will be pretty high though, probably around $100-$150 so keep that in mind. I'm in northern NC for pick-up.

Rick, you ought to post a link to your shop shots. This is going to be a great deal for someone. Aside from all the tooling that's he's selling with the lathe, he's done some great modifications to it.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Good move Roy. I think you will enjoy playing with that lathe. I know I do.:biggrin:

Rick! Tell us about your new lathe, if you don't mind.

rherrell

I'm gonna drop the hammer on the new South Bend 8K. The more I study it the more I'm positive that it's just what I need/want.
I absolutely NEED the 1 1/8" spindle bore and I WANT the variable speed.
And I'm HOPING that it will be made up to the South Bend specs..
I'm pretty confident that it will because I've emailed several owners of the bigger new SB lathes and they are all satisfied with their NEW South Bends.:biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
That sounds interesting. I'm sure that spindle bore size will be a big help. I just couldn't settle for less than VS myself. Would like to see some pics when you get set up. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom