Tapping stainless?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

Needing to tap 8-32 screw into stainless steel 304.
any recommendation of taps that don't break easy when hand tapping.
drill the holes out to #29 drill bit and have broken 2 Irwin taps.

Looking for a quality tap that doesn't break easy.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

The taps i was using where high carbon plug taps. Doing a through hole by hand using rapid tap fluid.

I was told to try going up from a #29 to a #27 drill bit.
Works good and screw tighten up just fine.

Paul in OKC

Tapping fluid is good. Carbon taps are not for making new threads, unless tapping butter :). Carbon taps are best used to fix something already threaded. For through holes I like tapered taps, or called gun taps. They push the chips out the bottom of the hole.

Paul in OKC

It does. In my previous post I meant to say spiral point, not tapered. On smaller taps I prefer 2 flute. They seem to be a bit stronger. Your advice about going larger is something that works at times as well, as long as it is not too much.

lwalper

Stainless 304 isn't really that tough -- kinda soft actually. Make sure you're going in straight - and use something other than a plug tap - they don't start very well - easy to get crooked and bind / break.

manleymaille

on any stainless i use molly-d lubricant but that is just my 2 cents and i also prefer spiral flute taps again just my two cents

Paul in OKC

If drilling the parts on a drill press, you can use it to tap. Put the tap in the chuck and rotate by hand while feeding the quill. Once the tap is started it will feed itself down. Good way to keep things straight.

Top Bottom