Taper cuts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
4 ways:
1- for short lengths, rotate the cross slide.
2 - for longer tapers, move the tail stock off center.
3 - by hand with tool post(round bar) mounted in tool holder
4 - for easy, use CNC

manatee

Just turned several today in brass using the compound rest method. I would avoid moving the tailstock because it can be difficult realigning it. There are also taper adapters but very expensive. Also there are several videos showing how to turn a taper on a metal lathe.
Try this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkqCdesrDwI

Chuck Key

The iPad/smartphone stylus in another thread required a that a hole be drilled in the final to fit over a tenon on the blank and that the outside of the final be tapered over the entire length. I use the cross slide offset method. The following video shows example cuts using a cnc machine. Similar cuts/techniques were made on my manual mini lathe. About the first minute of this video will give you an idea of the method used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfnoAFW2L2c

Chuckie

Texatdurango

I'm still new to all this so excuse my ignorance on what we call what on a lathe but in my case I just rotate the "top slide" which sits atop the "cross slide". If I want a 15 degree taper I just set the topslide on 7.5 degrees and it works fine.

Haynie, I don't know what constitutes a PITA but I can be turning a rod to size, stop, loosen 4 nuts, rotate the top slide to whatever degree I want, retighten then I am cutting a taper, it's that quick and easy.

Edit: I just watched the link provided above showing Tubalcain turning a taper using the "cross slide" offset and it's the same video I watched last year so I guess I'm getting too technical when I say it's the "top slide" method.

Last edited:

Haynie

Don't have that option on my mine, that I know of. Obviously your lathe has a feature mine does not.

In order to cut a taper on mine you have to manually advance the cutter into the rod. I figure in about 20 more years I will be able to cut a smooth taper.:mad:

I'm not that patient so was looking for other options.

spilperson

If I understand you correctly, what you are calling the "top slide" is formally called the compound...I can't say why, though!

The one underneath that, that only moves perpindicular to the main axis, is the cross slide.

Like you and mrpete222 on youtube, I use the compound method.

By the way, he has a couple hundred good videos on various metal working topics. I think he is a retired shop teacher...he does a good old school explanation. I love his channel.

manatee

mrpete222 also sells his lathe and mill videos on dvd. I know you can watch them for free on Youtube but the DVD's come in handy in the shop.

Top Bottom