Taig Mini Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I started on a Taig many years ago. Taig makes and sells a wood tool rest accessory that is under $20.00 last I looked. taig tool rest - Bing Images

Heres a link to one in Australia which may be closer to you http://www.taig.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=27 Looks like they have gone up a bit
$29.00
A2Z on ebay sells them for around $26.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taig-Wood-T...602?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337c0ed3ca

I usually ran a tool down the blank to make it straight and then threw the tool rest on it. It will clamp on and can be taken off in a second or two without having to move anything out of the way.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
I lived in Japan and on a trip to the US in '04 I bought a Taig and took it back to Japan with me in the suitcase. I used the Taig for about 2 years. In '06 I bought a Rikon and had it shipped back to Japan, and brought it back to the States when I retired from work there in late '10.

But the Taig did fine. It had enough power, was precise for a pen lathe. The most imprecise parts were commercial store bushings that did not have the hole precisely centered (few are "perfect".) And the mandrel could still "flex" with too much pressure. These are not negative elements of the Taig, but the pen making tools themselves.

I used the dual post tool rest.

Last edited:

mach9

I used a Taig to turn pens for over 10 years. Just recently got got a used Delta Midi wood lathe. I made a tool rest out of a simple piece of angle iron, maybe 3/4" or 1". Can't remember. Being able to use the carriage in "metal mode" sure came in handy when I did need to turn a stright barrel or tenon. I cleaned up the ol' Taig and repurposed it for doing slot car work. Hopefully I won't regret it. The little Taig is a well built, versatile machine. I've had one for over 25 years.

B Wo

I'm currently turning pens on a Sherline 4100 series lathe, and while I like the lathe, the wood tool rest leaves very much to be desired.

This Taig tool rest looks pretty awesome. I've been comparing the Taig Micro Lathe II and the Sherline 4100, but I haven't been able to determine if this tool rest would be compatible w/ my lathe. I'm pretty new to turning, so it's entirely possible I am overlooking something.

Can anyone with more experience with mini metal lathes speak to this tool's compatibility w/ a Sherline? I'll include the links below:

Taig Tools - Desktop Milling Machines and Lathes.

Sherline 4000/4100 Lathes

I don't mean to steal termitpenman's thunder, but I thought this would be relevant to the topic. If this should have been a new thread, please let me know, and I apologize in advance.

Thanks.

-Brian

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I adapted mine to fit my sherline 4400 it will not fit as it is. I have had both sherline and Taig lathes

TLTHW

I use a 4" shop fox tool rest with a Taig tee nut assembly. It lets me rough in with the tool holder and carriage and then quickly switch to skew.

Attachments

• rest 2.jpg
    rest 2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,407

termitepenman

I'm coming back to the States for a few days in March. The Taig lathe is small enough to put in my luggage and still make weight. I am currently using a Harbor Frieght Mini Wood Late and a small General International Pen Lathe I brought with me from the States. I was thinking about branching out to some metal work and the Taig looked like a good place to start.

Thanks,
Dennis
Bohol, Philippines

plantman

Dennis; I have had my Taig mini lathe for over 30 years, and it was used when I bought it. I turn 99% of my pens on it, mostly straight line to round, then I use metal files to smooth and shape. Parts can still be ordere for it at low prices, but the only thing I have replaced on it are drive belts. If your thinking of doing other metall work on it, you can add the the Milling attachment to it. You won't be sorry you bought it, and the price is a good one. You can do many more things on a metal lathe than you can on a wood lathe. Jim S

plantman

I'm currently turning pens on a Sherline 4100 series lathe, and while I like the lathe, the wood tool rest leaves very much to be desired.

This Taig tool rest looks pretty awesome. I've been comparing the Taig Micro Lathe II and the Sherline 4100, but I haven't been able to determine if this tool rest would be compatible w/ my lathe. I'm pretty new to turning, so it's entirely possible I am overlooking something.

Can anyone with more experience with mini metal lathes speak to this tool's compatibility w/ a Sherline? I'll include the links below:

Taig Tools - Desktop Milling Machines and Lathes.

Sherline 4000/4100 Lathes

I don't mean to steal termitpenman's thunder, but I thought this would be relevant to the topic. If this should have been a new thread, please let me know, and I apologize in advance.

Thanks.

-Brian

Brian; here are some of the differance I see between the two. Taig AC motor, Sherline DC motor. Both are belt driven, but Sheline has VS controll, Taig takes 5 seconds to change speeds. Taig can turn 9.75 inches between centers, Sherline Only 8 inches. Sherline has one carriage controol under tool rest and the other on the far right end of the lathe, Taig has both wheels directly under the tool holder. Taig can turn 4.5 inches, Sherline only 3.5. With spacer blocks you can increase the Taig to 6.5 inches and the Sherline to 6 inches. Price, Taig $474.40, Sherline $575.00 or $900.00 With DRO. ( digital read out ) As far as the tool rest, the photo of the Sherline doesn't show one and only states it has a tool post included, so I can't tell you if it fits or not. My take on them, you get more capacity with the Taig for less money, but then owning a Taig, I may be a little bias. Jim S

Last edited:

palmermethod

I have a Sherline 4400 with a milling column. Just ordered the Sherline Mill which is pretty neat. The one motor transfers from mill to lathe in seconds.

I had turned pens before on a wood lathe but not on the metal lathe. Yet. Still getting tooling set up. $$$

With a mill and lathe I can make my own tool rest for pens. Also I am thinking about making a pen shape duplicator pattern for the Sherline. And use metalworking tools for a finer finish. (In my mind!) Also been making Fly-Reels from scratch.

The metal lathes do have an edge on drilling and facing. Plus more accuracy. You can turn a pen blank with straight sides and then finish the pen blank to whatever final shape you like. Even file to shape then finish as usual. IMHO
Good Turning.........

PenPal

Morning I use my two Taig lathes for differing purposes however the length of a live centre can be diminished by making your own live centre setting a brass insert in the tail stock fitted with a bearing. Inside the bearing a brass insert with a 3/8 close fit to the mandrel as a mandrel saver. The Taig using their collets are ideal for working cartridges and drilling bullets.

The drive motor I use is a conventional open ended motor so I fit a thickish vertical shield that deflects metal and wood from entering the motor between the lathe bed and the motor this because the motor is mounted inboard to save space.

Unable to resurrect old pics of deflector couple of shots (small) of the tail stock mod.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0002 [640x480]-001.JPG
    DSCF0002 [640x480]-001.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 477
  • DSCF0002-136.JPG
    DSCF0002-136.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 458
  • DSCF0004 [640x480] [640x480].JPG
    DSCF0004 [640x480] [640x480].JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 479
Top Bottom