Taig CNC Lathe kit build in progress

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ken Wines

Taking a few days off from blank making and working on another project, a Taig CNC lathe. I bought this is as a kit and assumed that meant just assembling the pieces and parts. (Wrong assumption). I've had to drill and tap a lot of parts and then assemble. Luckily I have a CNC router that was very useful for accurately spotting the holes I needed to drill. I actually made it through the process without breaking any taps, which pretty good considering my record of tapping aluminum. I still have to wire up the electronics and mount the spindle motor. Hopefully, I'll have this puppy up and running the early part of next week.

Attachments

• IMG_3927.JPG
    IMG_3927.JPG
    432.2 KB · Views: 870
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ken Wines

Ken,

Are you able to tell me where you bought the CNC Taig lathe kit that you show, please.
Mal, this kit was purchased on eBay. If you do a search for Taig CNC lathe. The listing for this kit is titled "TAIG - SHERLINE 24" CNC Lathe TB6600HG 3-AXIS Intelligent Driver - NEW". You will find the listings for this kit as well as others from the same seller. The seller id is hrwp and he also has a dedicated web page for his company called BB6Corp. This is a pretty labor intensive build, nothing really comes pre assembled. I had to drill and tap the dovetail plate, spot and drill and tap the bearing blocks for the leadscrew, etc. I did upgrade and purchased and additional ER 32 spindle headstock. I am anxious to see how well this thing does when I got the stepper controls wired and configured. I'm still waiting for the 6 step pulley for the ER 32 headstock and a 1/2" to 5/8" pulley adapter for the Dayton Motor. I do have a 1940 something vintage Southbend 9 and can make the motor pulley adapter if I don't get the one from Phil at BB6corp in a timely fashion.

KenV

Ken, Taig is still in production and there are lots of parts available. Nick Carter has an extensive web page set and discounts taig systems and parts a bit. Both have good service.

The Taig factory cnc lathe has a shorter bed, ball screws available, and a much higher price.

Ken Wines

Ken, Taig is still in production and there are lots of parts available. Nick Carter has an extensive web page set and discounts taig systems and parts a bit. Both have good service.

The Taig factory cnc lathe has a shorter bed, ball screws available, and a much higher price.
Ken, Thanks for the Nick Carter reference. I looked up his web page and it looks to be an abundant source of information for Taig equipment. I've seen the Taig factory CNC lathe. The version I saw had dual lead screws to move the carriage. I'm interested to see what the kit will do when just the single lead screw arrangement. My main interest will be turning woods and plastics for pen parts. If I need to turn some pen bushings I hope to be able to do that also. Ken Wines

dogcatcher

I am late to this thread. But a guy that I used to know made custom wrist watches. He had both Taigs and Sherline lathes and a Sherline mill. It was his opinion that Sherlines were the better choice for turning into CNC machines. I don't know, I have not done the CNC, and have no plans to do so.

Top Bottom