Still use a wood lathe? - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Metal Lathes
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 226

Brass and aluminum turn almost as easily as woods or plastics with a standard wood lathe . All my pens are turned with my Jet mini , brass and aluminum as well . I prefer the jet because the ease of set up allows me the flexibility to design on the fly and any changes are almost instantaneous . I drill on the lathe and turn between centers so the only set up is to change the chuck (4 jaw or er 32 collet ) or the dead center , takes only seconds to do .
Any fool can know , the point is to understand (Albert Einstein)
There are no mistakes....Only happy accidents (Bob Ross)
ldb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-27-2017, 07:17 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I have been using a metal lathe daily for 6 months or so and I LOVE it. I have been making only kitless pens though. I appreciate it for threading with taps and dies. I have dialed in the tailstock and get very nice results. Drilling is also wonderful on it. I have a Jacobs spindle nose flexible collet chuck which is fantastic. I can't live without a metal lathe.

I have started doing kitless parts using stainless steel. the metal lathe is necessary for that as well.

With that said, I have three wood lathes, 2 of which I use almost daily. I like the speed afforded by the wood lathe at 3600 RPM for shaping of the nose cones, any final sanding I have to do as well as micro meshing and polishing. Then the buffing wheels which I cannot do without either!

You need both!
Old 10-04-2017, 05:56 AM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 8

I have both. Metal lathe for kitless parts and aluminum pens. Wood lathe for everything else.
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2017, 09:01 AM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Sometimes making stuff on a metal lathe is just fun. Go for it. Learn to use a new tool. If you hate it, they hold their value, so you can sell it.

Stupid analogy, but what the heck. I love this Puerto Rican restaurant. For a couple of years, I only at their jerked chicken. Awesome. One day they had mofongo on special so I tried it with pulled pork. Even more awesome. Turns out I love both, but some days I feel more like chicken than pork.

Isn't that why they make both Mounds and Almond Joy. Sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you don't.

Must be lunch time.
Alan Scrivner is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I bought a big good metal lathe, and in terms of pens, I use it only for kitless.
It is good to make some mandrels, custom parts, but all of my "kit" pens are made on an old crappy Chinese wood lathe:) Just because I could never have the same finish on a wood with a fixed tool in a tool holder as with my skew.

Also, my metal lathe is going only 750rpm, which is extremely low for a wood. Chinese mini-lathes are better in that regard, going up to 2000, may be? One more thing to consider.
2nd place Antler, Horn and Bone Pen Contest 2014
yaroslaw is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads