Still use a wood lathe? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Metal Lathes
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Default Still use a wood lathe?

I am close to pulling the trigger on purchasing a metal lathe and i have a question for those like me who started with a wood lathe and made the switch to metal.

Once you purchased your metal lathe, did you still find a need for the wood lathe?

My space is very limited so I'm looking for ways to maximize the space I have, and not needing the wood lathe would help tremendously, but I don't want to get rid of it if there are legitimate reasons to keep it.

Thank you,
Chris
CKormann is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 219

Just my opinion. Keep your wood lathe, and turn your wood blanks on that one. Use your new metal lathe for acrylic/plastic/ebonite/metal or other NON-wood materials. Have fun!

Reason for my comments: You will need to keep your material lubricated while turning on the metal lathe.

Last edited by Dalecamino; 09-25-2017 at 11:03 AM. Reason: additional comment
Dalecamino is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Thanks Chuck.

Does turning wood on a metal lathe have adverse effects on the lathe?

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalecamino View Post
Just my opinion. Keep your wood lathe, and turn your wood blanks on that one. Use your new metal lathe for acrylic/plastic/ebonite/metal or other NON-wood materials. Have fun!

Reason for my comments: You will need to keep your material lubricated while turning on the metal lathe.
CKormann is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKormann View Post
Thanks Chuck.

Does turning wood on a metal lathe have adverse effects on the lathe?

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalecamino View Post

Just makes a mess to clean up. Your cutting tool is mounted in a stationery tool holder on the tool post. There is a tool rest available that can be mounted on the ways so you CAN turn with hand held tools. But why do that? I just don't want wood shavings on my metal lathe.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 227

Why do you want a metal lathe ? are you going to make stainless steel pens ? are you going to make threaded parts or taps and dies ? There are a number of things that a metal lathe will do but be sure of the reason why you want one . They are expensive and there is a learning curve to using them . A metal lathe will get you precision in your depth of cut but you will loose the "handcrafted" part of making pens . Now before you metal heads start beating me up , did your metal lathes make you a better pen turner or pen maker ? did it help you turn a more beautiful pen ? how do you like making a smooth curve or a clean cove ?
A wood lathe is the perfect machine for making pens , you create the beauty with your hands holding a tool . Other then hard metals a wood lathe can turn anything a metal lathe can turn . There are times a metal lathe is needed , like when I need to make a tap for some odd sized nib section but for turning the pen itself I can turn the body faster and easier on a wood lathe then on the metal lathe .
A metal lathe won't make you a better pen turner , imagination will make you a penmaker , hone your skills , work on your designs and get everything you can out of the tools you have .
OK guys flame suit on .... flame away !!!
Any fool can know , the point is to understand (Albert Einstein)
There are no mistakes....Only happy accidents (Bob Ross)
ldb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldb2000 View Post
Why do you want a metal lathe ? are you going to make stainless steel pens ? are you going to make threaded parts or taps and dies ? There are a number of things that a metal lathe will do but be sure of the reason why you want one . They are expensive and there is a learning curve to using them . A metal lathe will get you precision in your depth of cut but you will loose the "handcrafted" part of making pens . Now before you metal heads start beating me up , did your metal lathes make you a better pen turner or pen maker ? did it help you turn a more beautiful pen ? how do you like making a smooth curve or a clean cove ?
A wood lathe is the perfect machine for making pens , you create the beauty with your hands holding a tool . Other then hard metals a wood lathe can turn anything a metal lathe can turn . There are times a metal lathe is needed , like when I need to make a tap for some odd sized nib section but for turning the pen itself I can turn the body faster and easier on a wood lathe then on the metal lathe .
A metal lathe won't make you a better pen turner , imagination will make you a penmaker , hone your skills , work on your designs and get everything you can out of the tools you have .
OK guys flame suit on .... flame away !!!
No flames here buddy!
Old 09-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 0

No fire, no flames!
Old 09-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 8

I started my pen making on my old Craftsman 12x36. Once I got the wood lathe, I just use it for drilling, squaring, CA application and assembly. With all that oil, it gets nasty fast and is almost impossible to get all the wood chips and dust out of. I would never turn wood on a nice metal lathe. Oh, and a wood lathe is much faster, even with a power feed. So, my advice is to find space for both lathes and use them for what they were designed for.

Regards,
Michael
My Etsy Site
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-25-2017, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Yes, keep both until you are sure the metal lathe will do everything you want.
I use my metal lathe for wood all the time. Just set up a shop vac for collection but I only cut soft metals with carbide so don't need a lot of oil.
PatrickR is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-25-2017, 01:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickR View Post
Yes, keep both until you are sure the metal lathe will do everything you want.
I use my metal lathe for wood all the time. Just set up a shop vac for collection but I only cut soft metals with carbide so don't need a lot of oil.
My only experience is with my ancient Craftsman--it has oil everywhere. Of course, it has Babbitt bearings, so it really likes the juice. Perhaps a newer machine would be easier to keep clean.
My Etsy Site
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads