Starter Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BeeAMaker

I have looked at about 1000 lathes now and can't keep them straight.
What would you experienced guys recommend for a good starter Metal Lathe for less than 1K?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I have gotten good service from a microlux 7x16. Sold by micromark. If you are not in a rush, they periodically have sales at about $100 off.

Optioning up can drive up the price quickly. Things like digital readout, QCTP, collet chucks, indexed tooling are nice. But you can get by without them to stay on budget.

Ed

BeeAMaker

I guess my biggest issue is not knowing what features I should be looking for. Horse power, tool holders, chuck size, just assuming I plan to do a bit of everything. I don't want to spend $800 on a machine and then find out I need to spend another $800 just to use it when I could have purchased a $1200 machine ready to go.

I'll check out that link -Thanks!

BeeAMaker

I guess my biggest issue is not knowing what features I should be looking for. Horse power, tool holders, chuck size, just assuming I plan to do a bit of everything. I don't want to spend $800 on a machine and then find out I need to spend another $800 just to use it when I could have purchased a $1200 machine ready to go.

I'll check out that link -Thanks!

More4dan

I would start with what you plan on using it to make. Then try to imagine what you might also make say in the next 5 years or so.

I needed a small lathe to make parts for custom knives I make. Then started making pens and it's about all I use it for now. I have a HF 7x10. It does everything I need for pen making. Drilling long blanks and large diameters push me to the lathes limit on length. It works but I now wish I had the 7x14. I've spent about $300 in tooling, quick change tool post, centers, drill chuck, cutting tools, and measuring tools. If your total budget is $1000, your looking for a $600-&700 lathe. Little Machine Shop is a good resource for information, replacement parts, and tooling. Don't forget to look into parts and accessories that fit the lathes your considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

BeeAMaker

If your total budget is $1000, your looking for a $600-&700 lathe.

I'm seeing that. I think I might wait a bit longer until i can afford to dump about 3K into a Machine, extras and tooling.

I've also been reading a lot about people spending a lot of time and money just getting the low end "cheap" lathes working properly and accurate. Something I don't have the patience for. If I buy a square, I expect it to be square, if you know what I mean. So maybe I should look into the 1K-2K range for a machine.

farmer

Lathe

I have looked at about 1000 lathes now and can't keep them straight.
What would you experienced guys recommend for a good starter Metal Lathe for less than 1K?

Thanks.

I bought a 7x14 central lathe for 75 bucks used last year used out of a 2nd hand store.
Enco 9" x 20" Geared Head Toolroom Bench Lathe 3/4" HP 110/220V 1PH HBL-920E | eBay

To tool up for live cutting Indexer which you can make, veneer trimmer, trimmer tooling and mounting bracket add another 500.00 .

Last edited:

bmachin

I agree with More4dan. Bed length can easily become a limiting factor. He is also correct that you are going to need to spend a few hundred on tooling to get started, but if you're careful you can spread it out.

Take a look at how the lathe is equipped. Here is a link comparing the various 7xwhatever lathes that are available today.

Mini Lathe Comparison - LittleMachineShop.com

I have had the MicroMark 7x16 for 3or 4 years now and am quite happy with it. here is the review that made me go with MicroMark:

Micro-Mark 7x16 Mini Lathe

Mini-lathe.com is full of reviews, tips, and opinions. A great resource.

Rockytime

I HATE metric. Did I say I HATE metric? I have always done my machining in inches and so thinking metric at my age is extremely cumbersome. When I sold my Bridgeport I still needed a small mill. I purchased a mini mill from Grizzly which has metric screws X and Y. I only do small things now for my clock repair but the metric feature is awkward so I am adding DRO. My only point is, if you prefer working in inches the lathe from MicroMark is the only one with inch lead screws. Any of the others will work if you are accustomed to working in metric. Whatever your choice in lathes you will enjoy it. Perfect opportunity to buy lots more cool tools.

RobS

Quick chime in.
What diameter stock will you be using??? This will limit what you will buy. For example the little machine shop has a hi torque 7x16 with a 20mm through hole which is perfect for running fat kitless pens. But others I have seen are much smaller. So beware and be aware of what you plan on turning and how.

For me being able to load a 12" rod stick out an inch is nice so I can part it to length when need be and save on creating cutoffs.

More4dan

Quick chime in.
What diameter stock will you be using??? This will limit what you will buy. For example the little machine shop has a hi torque 7x16 with a 20mm through hole which is perfect for running fat kitless pens. But others I have seen are much smaller. So beware and be aware of what you plan on turning and how.

For me being able to load a 12" rod stick out an inch is nice so I can part it to length when need be and save on creating cutoffs.

The 7x and many of the larger mini lathes have a M3 taper in the headstock limiting the max thru diameter of about 0.8" The next limit on the 7x lathes is the 3" chuck with a thru clearance of about 0.625" but it can be bored out to 0.74". Or go with a 4" chuck that will match the M3 taper clearance. I bored my 3" chuck to 0.74". I can now turn my pen blanks round between centers and insert all the way into the chuck allowing me room to drill even on the short 10" bed.

Squaring up my head and tail stock took about 4 hours. It wasn't necessary for most work I do but in doing so I learned how to work on and adjust the lathe and justified buying a test gauge. No lathe in your budget is going to be perfect from the factory or after shipping or after you've used it a while.

I've been budgeting and looking for a mill for over a year, starting small scaling up features, pricing tooling and then punting on the cost. I shopped for a lathe off and on for 3 years. Saw the HF 7x10 on sale under 400 and just got it. Perfect no but I'm making chips and enjoying the heck out of it.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

BeeAMaker

I HATE metric. Did I say I HATE metric?

I'm bi-measurement so I can use either :)
25.4 is the secret number. ;)

[/quote]
Whatever your choice in lathes you will enjoy it. Perfect opportunity to buy lots more cool tools.[/QUOTE]

Well of course!!

Thanks everyone! lots of good info here.

farmer

Through hole

Quick chime in.

Through hole ,,,, let me guess your a golfer too :rolleyes:
Through hole = spindle bore ID .

Which is 1.3875 on 3of my cue lathes.
http://www.midamericapool.com/index_files/Page331.htm

Last edited:

Paul in OKC

YOu can always look for a used South bend 9", or an Atlas or Craftsman. Horse power is not going to be up there in any of these small lathes, but bed length on something other than a 7x will be better. Most of these have a minimum of 12". I bought a 6" Atlas/Clausing with about a 24" bed for about $500 a couple of years ago. Only thing to me that has a great advantage is a quick change gear box for threading. Having to change gear set ups is a slight pain, but otherwise not a huge deterrent. Small head stock hole is the other, but again can be worked around.

Muggsy1776

So, BeeAMaker, did you ever decide on a lathe? If yes, what did you get? I'm looking to get my first metal lathe and I'm looking for good suggestions.

Top Bottom