Starrett Micrometer set, 0-3", 0.0001 in.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

Picked up this nice set of micrometers on eBay for $150 shipped, got them in today, and wooooooow, I have never felt a more smooth tool like these!!

ForumRunner_20141028_213934.png

Now I've got to figure out how to read them! I checked all three to the standards included and all three mics read dead-on!

Check out the full price on these bad boys: Starrett S436.1AXRLZ Outside Micrometers set

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

That's a nice score. I've been thinking of buying the 1" size. After I see how much I use it, then I'll decide if the other sizes are needed. Anything that says "Starrett" =$$$

robertkulp

I have couple of Starrett tools and they are as good as it gets. Typically for machinists, but they work great for woodworking, too.

Nice find... I'm jealous.

Curly

Congrtulations on getting some nice toys. The start of many needed and thought needed to come. :)

You said.
"Now I've got to figure out how to read them!"

If you go to the Starrett link you posted and then to the download tab you'll find a short video on reading the micrometer.

seamus7227

It's used to turn the barrel to zero the Micrometer if it's off.

Yep, Ernie answered precisely Bob!

So I shouldn't buy a used one without the wrench, right?

well im sure you can purchase the wrenches separately, i really got lucky on this buy!

Pete, it might help if i would spend a little time reading further on the starrett site.:rolleyes: Thanks for always helping me out though!

Mortalis

Don't seal the wood completely as it works as a wick to keep the moisture off the tools and keeps them from rusting.
I am a longtime machinist and I use the micrometers mostly as gages to judge where I'm at more than to actually measure something. I find I use dial calipers more than micrometers as the precision needed for woodworking is not as demanding as metalworking. The thin points of the calipers allow access to smaller sections of tapered areas whereas the mic's anvils are about 1/4" wide. The calipers also allow me to measure the wall thickness of bushings for evaluating concentricity.
$150 for 3pc set of micrometers is a good deal.

79spitfire

Those are sweet! I have a set of Starrets I use when building engines (day job...)

$150 for the set? Wow, that's almost criminal!

BSea

I recently bought 2 Mitutoyo Micrometers.
One is a 1" model
The other is a NOS 25mm model.

The combined total for both was $38.

The metric one was a steal, but I think it was ignored being metric. Probably way more precise than I need for pens. But who knows what I'll be using this little lathe for down the road.

Top Bottom