squeaking power feed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hard hat

I have a LMS HiTorque 7x12 deluxe, and last night it started having a horrendous squeaking noise while the power feed is engaged. The lead screw, half nuts, and bed ways are clean and free of debris (and oiled too). It seems like it is coming from the gears between the cog track and the carriage handwheel.
it only makes the screeching when power feed is engaged and over about 1200 RPM. The sounds changes if you touch the carriage handwheel.

any help on fixing this would be great, I don't like the noise and don't want to damage the lathe.

randyrls

Brett; LMS has excellent customer support. I'm sure a call to them would straighten it out. I would make sure you are doing the oiling and greasing maintenance on the lathe.

It is certainly possible to disassemble the carriage, but I don't have this lathe and would hesitate to tell you what to do. I had a "issue" with my 9x20 because there is a spot that needs oiling that isn't on the maintenance schedule. I'll post a separate thread to detail that.

hard hat

So I have figured it out. After calling LMS and getting the advice to take it apart and inspect it, I did. What I found is the carriage gibsm both front and rear, we're loose and way out of adjustment. So after a good cleaning, adjusting and lubricating, all is well.

Top Bottom