South Bend Model A book?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I inherited a 1940's vintage South Bend 9" model A metal lathe. Is there a book someone can recommend that would get me started on this monster? I turned on it when my grandfather had it, but he did all the setup. It came with a bunch of accessories, most of which I have no clue how to use. I would like to do some threading on it. Only thing I have done so far is steal the 60 degree dead center to use on my wood lathe :biggrin:.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Search Ebay and Amazon for Southbend under books category. You will find some from that vintage on how to use the lathe. Very reasonable prices for used versions - typically less than $10. Got one that way not too long ago.

bitshird

Sharon good for you, those old Southbend's are great and you can still get nearly any parts to keep them going. Like Bruce said eBay is loaded with manuals and operator guides for the lathes. if taken care of those old buggers will still be running when most of this new equipment has been recycled.

Penultimate

Sharon,
The book is called "How to Run a Lathe" by South Bend Lathe Works. My Father has a Model A and I have his 1942 and 1958 editions of the books. The book was originally published in 1914. You might try Southbend Lathe Co. http://southbendlathe.com/ (a subsidiary of Grizzly). They have parts and all the serial number data.
Good luck and have fun,

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Are you sure it's Grizzly?
When I needed info on mine, I called LeBlonde.
That was a couple of years ago, so things might have changed.

I've got a couple of copies of that book around, too. There's a
lot of repro parts out there too. Even some reproduction plates
that someone is reprinting.

Need a brand new steady rest for a 9A?

I might still have the manual for that lathe, let me check the shop.
Don't order it from the manufacturer.. they'll charge you $30
plus shipping and you'll get the same Xerox copied version that
is all over the internet already.

Last edited:

studioso

There is a a guy in england, I think his site is lathe.uk and he has info and manuals on most lathes. I have purchased a manual for a 60 year old milnes, I think it was 15$ or so, came on nice thick paper, with the plastic binding and all. He is also very friendly over email.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I found it ..
LeBlonde sold it in 2009 to Shiraz Balolia, founder of the machinery firms Grizzly Industrial Inc. and Woodstock International Inc

Top Bottom