A South Bend 9A

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I a new to metal returning: And I have two questions now.

There is a bull gear locking pin -- I do not understand what this pin does? Can any body explain..

The machine has a electrical forward & reverse switch. ---So what does the reversing gear assembly do ?

thank you

Skie_M

The reverse function on your lathe is so that you can machine reverse threads and sand in either direction for a smoother finish... it is also so that you can back off the tool assembly in higher speeds.

A gear locking pin would be used to hold the gears in position so that things do not move or shift position while you are working on them. :)

Paul in OKC

Your lathe will have a high and low range. The bull gear is used for low, when engaged. To use the low range, you would pull the pin to the out position, then pull the lever with the gears on it (back side of head stock) to engage with the bull gear. This will run a low range of rpm's thru each belt position. When putting high, release the back set of gears and turn the spindle pushing on the pin until it pushes in to its locating hole. The reversing lever is to feed the carriage toward the headstock, or away from it. Mostly used for cutting left hand threads when moving away.
Not very often you will use reverse on the motor, unless tapping. Good little machines. Lots of info out there, and the ever endless videos on YouTube willbe helpful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom