Source for 1.5 x 8 nuts:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

I want to make a disc sander for the lathe. I modded a drill-mount sander and chuck it in the 4 jaw, it works but I'd like to make on that mounts to the headstock directly.

Have checked MacMasters, etc. and done much Googling w/o success. Any ideas? Thanks!

Regards,
Michael

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I take it your lathe has a 1.5x8 spindle.

The way I did it was to start with a 5" velcro-faced sanding disk from Harbor Freight. The disk was designed to attach to a threaded shaft and has a nut embedded in the center.

I have a tap that cuts the threads for my lathe spindle (1x8 in my case), so I drilled and tapped a block of wood, saturated the threads in thin CA glue, and then ran the tap back through to clean out the threads after the glue cured. Then, I threaded the block of wood onto my headstock spindle, turned it round, and drilled an on-axis hole to accept a threaded rod that would screw into the nut in the HF sanding disk. Epoxied the rod into the wood, screwed the sanding disk onto the rod, and attached sandpaper.

You can purchase a 1.5x8 tap from Beall.

KenV

Michael

Hope you have access to a metal lathe to machine out 2-3 threads from the nut. I have done it with a dremal and grinding bits too, but that is a pain.

Why remove a few threads?

Wood lathe spindles have a length of threaded spindle next to the head stock and are designed and built for threaded appearances to seat onto the flat on the head stock side of the spindle. If you look at a Chuck adapter you will see a few threads have been machined away.

You can get by without removing the threads, but will beat up your spindle, and you will not have the repeatable precision you are seeking for the sanding disc.

Last edited:

Curly

I think a small alloy faceplate, while a little more costly, would be the best way to mount a disc. Look on the Lee Valley site for examples and shop around for cheaper product if you prefer.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I
Michael

Hope you have access to a metal lathe to machine out 2-3 threads from the nut. I have done it with a dremal and grinding bits too, but that is a pain.

Why remove a few threads?

Wood lathe spindles have a length of threaded spindle next to the head stock and are designed and built for threaded appearances to seat onto the flat on the head stock side of the spindle. If you look at a Chuck adapter you will see a few threads have been machined away.

You can get by without removing the threads, but will beat up your spindle, and you will not have the repeatable precision you are seeking for the sanding disc.
You can also do this right on the lathe with high speed tools and light cuts. Done it several times on a Jet mini wood lathe. No metal lathe needed.

Last edited:

mecompco

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Yes, all I have is my old Atlas 12x36, no wood lathe as of yet, so that is what this is for (mostly for blank squaring).

Looks like either the tap or a faceplate is around 30 bucks, and I assume I'd need to procure a large drill bit to use the tap.

Still can't find 1.5 x 8 nuts are MacMasters, all I see is 1.5x6 and 1.5x12.

1x8 nuts are all over the place, perhaps it makes sense to get an adapter and go that route?

Last edited:

Chuck Key

mecompco said:
Thanks again, guys. It just irks me to pay over $20 (can't believe they charge $11.70 to mail one freaking $9.77 nut from PA to ME!). Sigh!

Get it for $14 shipped at Enco or buy anything* else at 20% off and free shipping through June 10th.

*Enter promo code: UPS20 (then click apply) for Free UPS Ground Shipping and then enter promo code: SAVE20 (then click apply again) for 20% off. Free Shipping is limited to locations within the 48 contiguous U.S. states only; AK, HI, US territories and international shipments are specifically excluded from these offers. Enco reserves the right to exclude specific items from free shipping offers based on size, dimension, fragility or weight constraints; these items will be marked "truck shipment"; call or email for details. Free shipping is limited to UPS ground shipments under 125 lbs. Offers expire on 6/10/15 at 11:00 PM, ET, and cannot be combined with any other promotional offers. Not valid on previously placed orders.

John

rduncan

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Yes, all I have is my old Atlas 12x36, no wood lathe as of yet, so that is what this is for (mostly for blank squaring).

Looks like either the tap or a faceplate is around 30 bucks, and I assume I'd need to procure a large drill bit to use the tap.

Still can't find 1.5 x 8 nuts are MacMasters, all I see is 1.5x6 and 1.5x12.

1x8 nuts are all over the place, perhaps it makes sense to get an adapter and go that route?
McMaster-Carr
McMaster-Carr

KenV

The challenge is that the standard threading is 1 1/4 by 7 Every vendor has those.

They just do not fit.

Bill Noble sells washer-welded nut face plates for a reasonable price. He will machine out a couple of threads or you can do it on the atlas.

mecompco

The challenge is that the standard threading is 1 1/4 by 7 Every vendor has those.

They just do not fit.

Bill Noble sells washer-welded nut face plates for a reasonable price. He will machine out a couple of threads or you can do it on the atlas.

Ken, got one from Enco--under 8 bucks with their sale and free shipping. Made my sanding disc with it and it works great. Thanks!

Regards,
Michael

KenV

Bill sells his nut washer with threads relieved for $ 21. Search noble.com.

$8 is a great price.

Presume you are working a Powermatic 90 or similar.

Top Bottom