SO where does your fluid go?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

Seriously. I don't use cutting oil because I have no where for it to go. Is there a filtering bucket your fluid goes into and is recirculated or is cutting fluid a used only once?

Pictures and videos of milling machines and lathes show lots of fluid being pumped onto stuff.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dbledsoe

I just bought the cooling spray unit from MicroMark. They claim it just sprays a small (adjustable) amount of coolant which you can soak up with a towel. I don't have it hooked up yet so I can't say how that works. It has a magnetic spray nozzle holder so you can move it around.
Multi-Use Tooling and More

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You can brush cutting fluid on the tip of the cutter with a small chip brush out of a can or use a small bottle and put a drop or two on the cutter or work. Do you really need constant cutting fluid flow for what your cutting?

rherrell

I agree with Mike, I use this stuff... Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies

I keep it in an old cottage cheese container and apply it with a small brush, it works for both cutting and tapping. I apply it about every other pass, sometimes every pass if I'm taking a deeper cut.

It sticks real well and doesn't go flying off in your eyes like some stuff, it's also odorless and doesn't sting as much if you do happen to get some in your eye...DAMHIKT!:biggrin:

Using a constant flow of coolant is just messy and I really don't see a need for it with the small machines we use.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I can't copy a link with my Kindle, but if you look in my thread called 'Another reason to get a bigger metal lathe', there are a couple of pics that show my coolant / lube setup.
Sometimes the material and also the cutter needs to be continuously flooded to ensure they stay cool. I think cooling is more important than lubricant for turning. Lube for threading and heavy parting.

PenMan1

I keep my "turning fluid" in the shop refrigerator. My skew advancement device requires about 32 ounces per hour to keep it moving:) I have found that Coors Lite is the best value in turning fluid as I can buy 30 12 ounce cans for $18.99.

Gotta keep the machinery lubed:)

lorbay

I can't copy a link with my Kindle, but if you look in my thread called 'Another reason to get a bigger metal lathe', there are a couple of pics that show my coolant / lube setup.
Sometimes the material and also the cutter needs to be continuously flooded to ensure they stay cool. I think cooling is more important than lubricant for turning. Lube for threading and heavy parting.

There you go. Those darn Kindles.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f166/another-reason-get-bigger-lathe-108713/

Lin.

Donovan

I have a misting system on my CNC and that is a lot more air that liquid. For this system you need a compressor and as Skiprat said cooling is very impotrant

Donovan

Haynie

Hey Skip.

Your set up is what I figured. Is there a screen above the drain funnel to keep out the big stuff or does the pump have a filter at the inlet to avoid damage? I have been practicing on bigger stuff than pen parts lately and that stuff gets hot! I was thinking coolant would help but I was still getting a mess. Granted, I am discovering ll metal work is ten times more messy than wood and the splinters hurt more.

Kretzky

Seriously. I don't use cutting oil because I have no where for it to go. Is there a filtering bucket your fluid goes into and is recirculated or is cutting fluid a used only once?

Pictures and videos of milling machines and lathes show lots of fluid being pumped onto stuff.

All the dedicated metal lathes, millers etc I've ever used had a pumped cooling/ lube system. The 'oil' [don't know if they still call it 'white water' (the stuff I'm used to is a water soluble/ mixable cutting fluid)] is drained from the pan under the bedways, filtered & recirculated. Not only does it cool & lube it can also help wash swarf & debris away from the working area. As someone mentioned earlier it should also be replaced periodically.

Top Bottom