A small project

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
So in preparation of using the router attachment Mike Roux made for me last year, to cut some flutes in my pens, it became apparent that, I need a way to hold the parts between the head stock and, tail stock. So, I made this little piece. Turned a shaft to fit into the drill chuck, mounted on the tail stock then, drilled out the other end. Then painted the inside of the cup with Plasti-dip, for grip and, cushion so as not to mar the pen body.

It works! :biggrin: I apologize for the blurry pics. They looked ok in my camera screen :redface: Hopefully your imagination will kick in :wink::biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_1695.jpg
    IMG_1695.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_1697 (2).jpg
    IMG_1697 (2).jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_1698 (2).jpg
    IMG_1698 (2).jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_1699 (2).jpg
    IMG_1699 (2).jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 428

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Flutes, do I hear flutes ? I hear there are real possibilities for flutes!:tongue:

The cuts look very nice for a trial run.
Yes...you hear flutes :biggrin: There are indeed possibilities for flutes. :wink: They just need someone who knows how to apply them. :rolleyes: I'm working on it.

Thanks Mark!

jttheclockman

Chuck, I hope you excuse me because this is probably in poor taste and i do not want to hijack your thread in any way. Just would like to point out for those that start reading this that this type work can also be done on a wood lathe.

The use of flutes and other decorative cuts will open a whole line of possibilities. You have just started down a very interesting path in pen making. We all have seen Skips ideas and now you will be sharing with us many new ideas as well. It can be some exciting times here. Keep it up Chuck. Well done.

Again sorry about the interuption. Included an example of what I meant.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
John! Not at all bothered by your post. In fact you probably saved me some work.:biggrin: In due time you will see a pen displaying these particular kinds of flutes I have in mind.

Thanks to Skiprat and bluwolf it is coming closer to reality for me.

Thanks for your post!:wink:

magpens

Chuck, is there a picture of the router attachment itself that I can have a look at ? . Can you give the URL, please ? . Thanks.

farmer

Flutes

So in preparation of using the router attachment Mike Roux made for me last year, to cut some flutes in my pens, it became apparent that, I need a way to hold the parts between the head stock and, tail stock. So, I made this little piece. Turned a shaft to fit into the drill chuck, mounted on the tail stock then, drilled out the other end. Then painted the inside of the cup with Plasti-dip, for grip and, cushion so as not to mar the pen body.

It works! :biggrin: I apologize for the blurry pics. They looked ok in my camera screen :redface: Hopefully your imagination will kick in :wink::biggrin:

Your pictures suck making the slots or flutes look un even ?

Are you using a router bit or a slitting saw on your router

Basic tool bit or slitting saws and mandrels needed
https://www.cuesmith.com/jeweler-s-sawand-1-4-arbor.html
OR/and
https://www.cuesmith.com/six-wing-cutter-1-25.html
https://www.cuesmith.com/colored-veneers.html

Make sure your router doesn't turn to fast for the these tools.................

Last edited:

Curly

Are you striving to be the Pie Eyed Piper and draw the Skiprat out of Whales?

How do you ensure the Plsti-dip is evenly applied to the hole? Does the Plasti-dip self level?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

OR/and

Thanks for your straight forward opinion of my photos. I guess my apology wasn't enough. I'm using a Harbor Freight trim router as it, fit the budget. I have an assortment of bits and, right now, a slitting saw won't work for me. But, we'll work on that. Thanks for the links.

jttheclockman

Well Chuck my problem is I am not wrapping my large head around your concept:eek: I do hope you take some gooddddddddddddd photos:) when you get in production mode. A friction fit just seems it will spin or slip on you as you apply the router force. Like I said I probably am not seeing the whole picture:)

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Are you striving to be the Pie Eyed Piper and draw the Skiprat out of Whales?

How do you ensure the Plsti-dip is evenly applied to the hole? Does the Plasti-dip self level?
I posted this thread to give this forum some substance other than "Which metal lathe"? OR, "What tools do I need" etc. It went how long? Skippy missed it....I think everybody missed it :rolleyes::biggrin: Granted...the subject content is NOT all that impressive anyway. :redface: But, I made an effort. Just MY opinion, but, as log as this forum has been up....and, there have been many who have bought lathes.....where are they? :confused: :biggrin:

As for the Plasti-dip, I used an artists brush to paint the bottom of the cup. Gravity is a wonderful thing :biggrin: Let it set up then painted the sides. NO...it's not perfect but, it works. There could be a better way to do this but, that's what I came up with at the time. Was kind of in a hurry as often is the case.

jttheclockman

I am with you Chuck. Skip has been missing in action. Guess he is too busy waiting by the mailbox for his mug.:biggrin: Knowing Skip he could probably spin one out of a couple stainless bolts.:biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Well Chuck my problem is I am not wrapping my large head around your concept:eek: I do hope you take some gooddddddddddddd photos:) when you get in production mode. A friction fit just seems it will spin or slip on you as you apply the router force. Like I said I probably am not seeing the whole picture:)
John, I understand your concerns. There is not that much pressure against the blank with the router bit. But, I needed a way to hold the tail stock end of the blank inline with the headstock end to, cut lines (flutes) in the body without marring the pen body. I guess my poor photography failed to demonstrate the purpose :biggrin:

When I get time, I may do this over. :wink::biggrin: Thanks for the help!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I am with you Chuck. Skip has been missing in action. Guess he is too busy waiting by the mailbox for his mug.:biggrin: Knowing Skip he could probably spin one out of a couple stainless bolts.:biggrin:
I think Steven is focused on the Drill Dr. I'm going to win in the drawing :biggrin:

farmer

Picture

OR/and

Thanks for your straight forward opinion of my photos. I guess my apology wasn't enough. I'm using a Harbor Freight trim router as it, fit the budget. I have an assortment of bits and, right now, a slitting saw won't work for me. But, we'll work on that. Thanks for the links.

I wasn't trying to be rude, If I don't have a sharp image of the slot I am left guessing on how to help you.....

Your picture is blurred ..... and I am trying to help you with what info you supplied....
Me saying your picture sucked , was said to cover my own butt,
If the slot you cut was smooth and I go off saying your slot or flute looked uneven , I needed you to know why it looked that way to me and had nothing to do with your apology.... ( sorry )...

Can you photograph your flute again and can you post a sharper image.
Have you ever done a double barrel Flute ?

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Mike

I think what Chuck was trying to show is his new toy. He just got this metal lathe and is adapting things to do with it. He is using a router and router bits, not a slot cutter. Not sure he is looking for advice, just showing off. He is going to give our master router user a run for his money when he gets things dialed in. Skip look out Chuck is coming on strong.

Boys and their toys.:biggrin:

bobleibo

Chuck
I had 3 people come over and look at your picture. We all had a puzzled look on our face until one of the guys gave my monitor a hard whack on the side of it. After the monitor sparked and sputtered a little bit, the picture looked great! Now I know what that focus knob gizmo is.
I'm going to go buy a metal lathe. Can you come over and teach me how to plug it in?
Cheers
Bob

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Sorry for missing this thread Chuck......got work coming out of my ears at the moment. :redface:
It doesn't matter what the first incarnation looks like, each time you use it you will decide on a minor tweek or improvement. Progress is the important thing. And it's the fun part too. :biggrin:

I'm also very impressed that you have also taken up the task of auctioneer during this Bash. I hate to admit it, but you have some big shoes to fill. But I'm confident you will pull it off perfectly :biggrin:

jttheclockman

Sorry for missing this thread Chuck......got work coming out of my ears at the moment. :redface:
It doesn't matter what the first incarnation looks like, each time you use it you will decide on a minor tweek or improvement. Progress is the important thing. And it's the fun part too. :biggrin:

I'm also very impressed that you have also taken up the task of auctioneer during this Bash. I hate to admit it, but you have some big shoes to fill. But I'm confident you will pull it off perfectly :biggrin:

Hey Skip, if I may ask what kind of work do you do??? Seems you are on the road alot and get to go many interesting places. You may have told me before but my mind is shrinking along with many other parts of the body.:)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
John, I work for a very large international electrical engineering company called ABB. I am a service technician for our medium and high voltage switchgear. From 3300V to 400 000V. These days most between 11Kv and 33KV.
I'm also the UK trainer for our new stuff that is made in Czech Rep, Germany,Norway and Italy. (3.3kV to 36kV )
Been here virtually all my life.....:biggrin: 35years and counting. Love my job but it's sometimes hard on family and social life. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hijack your post Chuck !!:wink:

Last edited:

jttheclockman

John, I work for a very large international electrical engineering company called ABB. I am a service technician for our medium and high voltage switchgear. From 3300V to 400 000V. These days most between 11Kv and 33KV.
I'm also the UK trainer for our new stuff that is made in Czech Rep, Germany,Norway and Italy. (3.3kV to 36kV )
Been here virtually all my life.....:biggrin: 35years and counting. Love my job but it's sometimes hard on family and social life. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hijack your post Chuck !!:wink:

Oh Chuck don't mind he is busy playing with his toys and showing off.:biggrin:

So you play with the big boys toys. That is a line division of our electrical industry. Have worked some switch yards but tried my best to stay away from those kind of voltage numbers. That is when the hair on your neck and arms stands up when your within 20 feet of the stuff. Thanks.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Mike, I may make a re-do on this part, with some better photos.

Steven, you didn't hi-jack the thread, John did :biggrin: But, he's right, I didn't mind. I'm glad you guys are getting to know more about each other. :wink::biggrin:

I'm making this kind of short because, I have a LOT to do. Several pens to make. But, will post another thread soon. Thanks for your interest!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
You guys have been eating away at my brain :frown:. I'm thinking of making a router jig for my Nova lathe to try the flute/inserts for segmenting. I've reread JT's incredible thread on "My Jig". and all the related threads; watched Skip's U-Tube series on the bolt pen - simply to be amazed at what can be done with equipment that is not $5,000 and up - but whose deficiencies can be overcome by skill and experience.

So, on my messy bench are: Some Rockler T Tracks - for the bed table to move towards the lathe and back, and then lock it in; some mini ball bearing drawer slides - for the second bed with the router mounted on it - to move left and right easily. A Ridgid Router (big and heavy, but I already have it), Several panels of Melamine. And some 6" bolts with snap lock knobs and nuts and a bracket - to lock in the router-mounted bed. Still working on fine points before I start assembly.

Sounds like a project while I wait for some segments to glue-up, and some WOP to dry.

Not sure if I should thank you or curse you - But it will be fun! :RockOn:

jttheclockman

You guys have been eating away at my brain :frown:. I'm thinking of making a router jig for my Nova lathe to try the flute/inserts for segmenting. I've reread JT's incredible thread on "My Jig". and all the related threads; watched Skip's U-Tube series on the bolt pen - simply to be amazed at what can be done with equipment that is not $5,000 and up - but whose deficiencies can be overcome by skill and experience.

So, on my messy bench are: Some Rockler T Tracks - for the bed table to move towards the lathe and back, and then lock it in; some mini ball bearing drawer slides - for the second bed with the router mounted on it - to move left and right easily. A Ridgid Router (big and heavy, but I already have it), Several panels of Melamine. And some 6" bolts with snap lock knobs and nuts and a bracket - to lock in the router-mounted bed. Still working on fine points before I start assembly.

Sounds like a project while I wait for some segments to glue-up, and some WOP to dry.

Welcome Mark to the true world of segmenting. You my friend are hooked. The possibilities are tremendous. Making a rack for the router and it use on that small round object is the tip of the iceburg. I will be doing more things with my setup in the future now that I should be able to play with my toys. I will try to take some better photos as I do these things. I will be making a few updates to my jig to make things somewhat easier.

You are correct you do not need $$$ to make designs in a pen blank, just imagination. I am glad if my little jig has inspired just one or two new players than I am happy. There was one person who ran with the idea and started to produce some nice blanks but I see he has dropped out of the forum.

look forward to seeing what you come up with. Good luck.

jttheclockman

I've reread JT's incredible thread on "My Jig". and all the related threads;

Hey Mark .... can you post a link to JT's thread?

Thanks man!

Hello Kelly

It is in the segmenting forum.here it is for you. This was back when I was alot more active in that forum because that is my passion. I will be returning now that I should be back in the shop in the future. We will be showing other cool ideas. If you have any questions just let them fly. We really will hijack Chuck's thread:biggrin:

www.penturners.org/forum/f179/my-jig-104253/

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

I am SOOO proud of you! :wink::biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Steven, you didn't hi-jack the thread, John did :biggrin: But, he's right, I didn't mind. I'm glad you guys are getting to know more about each other. :wink::biggrin:

I'm making this kind of short because, I have a LOT to do. Several pens to make. But, will post another thread soon. Thanks for your interest!

Mmmmm. John and I are gonna get married soon.....just using this dating site to see if we are compatible.......:tongue:

......and you don't have time to make pens !!!:devil: You have several auctions to prepare for........
I mean...... have you got the auctioneers lingo down yet??? Kinda like sounds like baaaaa deee brrrrrrrrr bruuuuu braaaaaa do ihear ten dollars brrrr de breee bruuu braaaaaa.

You'll get it......:biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Congratulations to both of you! :biggrin: How sweet...and, you're perfect for each other :biggrin:

Pink towel gives me the perfect gift idea :biggrin::tongue:

I am taking a break while I decide where to start

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Just a minor point of correction.....it was never just a towel......it was a comforter.....a pink comforter.:tongue:

stonepecker

Chuck
I had 3 people come over and look at your picture. We all had a puzzled look on our face until one of the guys gave my monitor a hard whack on the side of it. After the monitor sparked and sputtered a little bit, the picture looked great! Now I know what that focus knob gizmo is.
I'm going to go buy a metal lathe. Can you come over and teach me how to plug it in?
Cheers
Bob

Bob and I need all the help we can get Chuck. :laugh::biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck
Cheers
Bob

Bob and I need all the help we can get Chuck. :laugh::biggrin:
I didn't know there was a focus knob gizmo :confused::redface: I'll help you!! :biggrin:

Top Bottom