Shimming.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

okiebugg

Determining the center line of a rod in my mini is a problem when it comes to 'centering' the cutting tool. What or how do you first, find the center line adequately, and second, shim the bit to match.

What do YOU use to shim ?

I feel that I do a fair job at centering, but you wouldn't believe the happenstance way I achieve this. I still see the occasional 'jump' when cutting from being below center.

You would probably be astonished that I use some of the shimming materials that I use just to achieve the end result..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rich L

lorbay, What's your source for .0001 shim stock? Do you mean .001?

Okiebugg,

A quick and easy method is just to place some hard round stock in your chuck and run your tool bit up against it with a machinist rule held vertically between it and the stock. Shim or adjust until the rule is really vertical. That will put you close enough.

Cheers,
Rich

Mossy

Ok here goes , a long time ago in a galaxy far away , before I became a Firefighter I was an engineer (Turner) . To get my cutting tool to the correct height I would use the point of the live center that is placed in the tail stock as a guide and level the point of the tool to the point of the center, skim the piece of metal I had in my lathe and then ajust the cutting tool with shims if required. Hope this helps It's been a while.

Last edited:

BigShed

I have a height gauge permanently set up next to the lathe, quicker and easier than using the centre point of the live centre.

Don't use shims at all, I have a QCTP (Quick Change Tool Post) with several tool holders all set up at the right height. So I can go a spindle tool to a boring bar to a parting tool etc in the blik of an eye.

IMHO no metal lathe should be without a QCTP or indeed a digital readout.

Top Bottom