Recycled metal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigShed

I said a few days ago I would do a separate thread on "found" materials. I like going to garage sales, as does my wife, but we tend to look for different things:biggrin:.

Some time ago I picked up a set of dumbbells in a garage sale (for a princely $2 the set), mainly for the cast iron disks, maybe for some backplates or face plates.

However when I was looking for some 25mm plus bar for some slitting saw arbors, I discovered I had none left, I spotted the 2 bars from the dumbbells and wondered they would do the trick. Pretty rusty and wasn't sure whether there was still some chrome plating under all that rust.

IMG_2649.jpg

Nothing ventured nothing gained, put some in the lathe and took some off using a 10mm indexed carbide tool.

IMG_2652.jpg

Turned it down to 1/2" to fit my 1/2" R8 arbor

IMG_2657.jpg

Milled a flat on it

IMG_2658.jpg

Turned a tenon to to fit in the slitting saw

IMG_2661.jpg

Cut that part off on the bandsaw

IMG_2662.jpg

Bored out the recess for the tenon

IMG_2665.jpg

Tapped for M6 socket head

IMG_2666.jpg

Recessed cap for socket head

IMG_2669.jpg

Yay, it fits
2thumbsup.gif

IMG_2671.jpg

Made a few more whle I was at it, from L to R, 60x1mm, 60x0.8mm and 40x0.5mm (that one came out another piece of smaller diameter bar)

IMG_2678.jpg

So, keep an eye out for useful bits of metal, and other material. I have become a real bower bird since I acquired my metal lathe.

Look past what the article actually is, for instance I have a nice collection of precision metal bars salvaged form discarded printers (the small gears come in handy at times too) and old scanners. They often cost nothing, people are glad to get rid of them, or they may cost a dollar or so.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks again Fred. You've made yourself a nice set of tools there. I have to start shopping garage sales. Gotta go tell Susanne:biggrin:

cnirenberg

Fred,
Awesome find. You just reminded me, I have to finish the cannon I made out of a piece of 1-1/2" brass propeller shaft I "found" at the scrapyard. Now all the street-side scappers will have a bit of competition for the unwanted metals on trash day....

BigShed

Thank you all for your nice comments.

Very nice slitting saw arbors and probably nicer and more accurate than most you can buy too.

Yes, should have included the reason I made these. I have one of those multi-size arbours you can buy and it has a lot of run out. I therefore decided to make one for each slitting saw blade I have, it also saves time by not having to swap blades all the time.

Better still all it cost was a bit of time and I learned a lot in the process of making them.

It is very satisfying to make your own tools.

Last edited:

Texatdurango

Great....... Now I'm gonna be picking up all the scrap metal I run across. It'll be my luck the barbell I find will have 400 pounds of weights rusted onto the bar! :biggrin:

Nice saw arbors! IF I ever decide which mill I will get, that will be on my "to do" list for sure.

Top Bottom