Question on chucks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

I have an old Atlas metal lathe (1900 to 1920) and would like to get a self centering 4 jaw chuck. I have no idea where to start. Do they still make parts or do I need to find a used chuck? I know someone is going to ask for a model number not even sure where to find that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks William

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Most of the old Atlas lathes that I'm familiar with have a 1 inch by 8 tpi head screw.
BUT, Atlas made many, many different lathes (for many vendors) and the headstock on yours MAY BE DIFFERENT!

a quick, inexpensive test is to purchase a 1x8 nut at the hardware store. This nut should be cheap and it does 2 good things for you.

First, if the nut fits the headstock nicely, you'll know that you have a "standard" 1x8 headscrew and a 99.9 percent chance of having an MT2 taper underneath. If the nut is too big, that likely means a less common 3/4 inch headscrew and a MT1 taper. If larger, a 1 1/2 headscrew and a MT3 taper.

Second, just by gently starting the correct sized nut onto the headstock, you can "go easy" and feel any thread burrs that can be cleaned up before damaging the threads on a new chuck or adapter.

As far as inexpensive chucks, I highly recommend the Nova chucks simply because they seem to run a little smoother than other brands AND all Nova jaws fit all Nova chucks. This is NOT the case for many other lower end chucks.

The opinions of the membership on this question will likely be as diverse as the membership here. These are just merely my observations and recommendations.

Respectfully submitted.

ironman123

William, how about a photo or two of that lathe? I have an old Swayne Robinson lathe that has 3/4-16 tpi with MT1. Pretty sure you will be able to get a new or an old chuck pretty easy.

Ray

PenMan1

MOST lathes (not all) can be configured to today's chucks using thread adapters. A photo or two would, indeed, be helpful.

At one point in time, Atlas was a huge lathe maker making both wood and metal lathes for use around the world. I suspect if you could think of a configuration, ATLAS made a few of them.

Paul in OKC

My Atlas has a 1 1/2 inch 8 thread spindle. Not too hard to find chucks for them. May need to get what they call a plain back chuck and a separate mounting plate to fit your spindle.

triw51

Pictures of lathe

lathe 1.jpg

lathe 2.jpg

lathe 3.jpg

Here are some pictures of the head stock of my lathe

Curly

Are you looking for a woodworking chuck for your metal lathe or or a metal working chuck for it? I got a metal one from Grizzly and it works great but it wasn't cheap.

Paul in OKC

You can unscrew the chuck and check the thread size. There is a back gear for low rpms. Kind of hard to explain in a message. If you would like I'd Be glad to talk with you about it. Send me a pm and I'll send my phone number. I think there are some 4 jaw chucks out there that will fit.

Top Bottom