QCTP questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alinc100

Hi All,
As I continue to repair/rebuild my JET BDN-920 metal lathe I purchased
a QCTP via Amazon. It arrived in Friday. For the life of me I cannot see how this
would mount to the compound slide.There were no instructions/tips included and I am not sure what they mean in the description as "a piece of steel to make a t-nut from".

Other than that the lathe is de-rusted for the most part ,oiled and ready to go.
Today I hope to finish assembly of the quick change gearbox.At that point the lathe should be fully functioning and awaiting the QCTP.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YPDQ4G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Thanks

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If they did not include a piece of steel with the qctp you will need to find one and mill it to fit in the groove of the compound slide and drill a hole and tap it for the bolt that holds the qtcp. You may be able to find a ready made one on ebay or online where you bought the qtcp.

Adding in, here is an ebay auction for a t nut for a qtcp it may or may not fit your application but it will give you an idea of what they mean.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-nut-Asian...486?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23256e104e

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I fitted a QCTP to my lathe but it was important for me to be able to use the original tool post easily too.
You can see how I did it in this thread from a couple of years ago.
This probably will not pertain to your situation but it might give you an idea. :wink:

Gilrock

I think I may need to order this piece from LMS.
I have a feeling it will solve my problem.
Since I do not have any metric taps this might be the best alternative.

AXA QC Tool Post Mount for 9x20 - LittleMachineShop.com

That looks like it would work. But half the fun with metal lathes is making your own parts. It looks like you have everything you need with the QCTP you purchased. The photo shows a bolt in the center of the QCTP. You could cut that to length then drill and tap it to make the sleeve you are looking to purchase. I wouldn't be patient enough to wait for LMS to ship me that part. I didn't see where you are located but I know when I faced this same issue I ran down to ACE hardware bought an M8 tap and I had my QCTP mounted that day.

alinc100

I think I may need to order this piece from LMS.
I have a feeling it will solve my problem.
Since I do not have any metric taps this might be the best alternative.

AXA QC Tool Post Mount for 9x20 - LittleMachineShop.com

That looks like it would work. But half the fun with metal lathes is making your own parts. It looks like you have everything you need with the QCTP you purchased. The photo shows a bolt in the center of the QCTP. You could cut that to length then drill and tap it to make the sleeve you are looking to purchase. I wouldn't be patient enough to wait for LMS to ship me that part. I didn't see where you are located but I know when I faced this same issue I ran down to ACE hardware bought an M8 tap and I had my QCTP mounted that day.

OK while at work today I found a selection of metric taps one being 8mm x 1.25 .I have a couple different metric nuts to compare/test the existing post to be sure I am tapping the correct size.And you are correct ,it should be fun and will be a great learning exercise for me.I have nothing to lose but a little time.

Top Bottom