Project Lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gofer

I would be buying it with the intention of restoring it over the next few years as time space and money allows. I can get it and have my father store it on the farm and work on it in pieces or wait for my shop (about 5 years away)

What is a reasonable price for the lathe as it sits? What budget would I need do completely redo it?

Bruce

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
When buying a lathe to restore such as this one it has to be cheap really cheap. I dont see a chuck or tool post you need to check on those cost large chucks are big money. possibly a grand for the chuck. QCTP tool post $250. Is it 220 single phase? 3 phase? you may need like Paul a phase converter. There is less of a market for larger lathes than the smaller 9 and 10 inch ones. Do you have any experience in metal lathes that would help to be able to judge how much wear the lathe has. If that bed is worn it could be just a large boat anchor

Gofer

Mike,

this is the reply I got when I contacted the seller:

OK, I'm getting alot of people asking the same so here it is,
I bought the lathe about 5 years back from a guy I think was in California as I remember. I paid $1000.00 plus delivery which as I remember was about $400.00. I had it in mind to restore it at my leisure when I retired. They still go for about $3000.00 on ebay (plus delivery taxes and broker fees, and dollar difference 10%) in reasonable condition, that is with no really badly worn gears , lead screw, ways are reasonable etc.
However , never got around to it and now am moving with lots on my plate so decided to sell it.
My magic number is $500.00 , I'm not looking at it from profit or loss , just as a quick sale to someone who want THIS lathe to take the time to restore it.
I won't take even a penny less for it, so there you have it.
It comes exactly as shown in the picture nothing more , nothing less. I believe that to be be a very fair price.
Let me know if you would like to take a look.
Thanks for your interest

I have since located a smaller lathe that is also a project lathe but will not be the same challenge in size but will also come ith advice and possibly support. There ends the adventure in the 16" southbend lathe.

thanks for your pointers,

Bruce

low_48

Wow, that thing looks ROUGH! Tapers are probably rusted, ways may be. Bearings in the head would be my biggest concern. If they are bad, it's a boat anchor. Take a hint at how the restoration went for him. Buy something that runs and make something!

Paul in OKC

Here's mine. Trying to clean off the collection it has gathered. Hope to have it under power soon.

Attachments

• lathe.jpg
    lathe.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 199

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Just for the sake of discussion since Gofer has moved on. Cast steel as of today is $460.00 a ton. The lathe would be worth less than $300 in scrap and he would have to haul it there
Also the cost of the lathe is only the beginning. The accessories can triple the cost of the lathe or more. Ask me how I know! It really isnt in that bad of a shape rust wise. Photos tend to turn dark oil stains into red rust looking areas. I see that a lot. Most of the parts can be replaced or rebuilt but without knowing what your looking for it could be more to rebuild it than to buy a rebuilt one. Pauls is in much better shape for $500 if anyone wanted to make him an offer.:biggrin:

Top Bottom