Playing follow the leaders

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I have had great influence from Mike Roux (Bluwolf) Mike Redburn(MRedburn) and George(Texatdurango) and Fred Brunings(BigShed) Thank you guys for your contributions. For the record, Mike Roux is the person responsible for me keeping my wood lathe. Thanks Mike!

As the title of this thread suggests, I tend to be following these guys around this new forum, gleaning alot of GOOD information. I may not ever use some of it but, it's good to know these things. I followed one of Georges threads over in the Advanced Pen Making forum. Here's the thread. http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85837

I ended up making one of these "Bump Center" Tools This is a wonderful little tool. Not pretty but, it works! Another time saver.

Attachments

• IMG_0970.JPG
    IMG_0970.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 255
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bluwolf

Looks pretty nice to me Chuck. You should have taken a pic from the other side of the tool to see how you did it. That bolt through the bearing looks pretty big for a piece of metal that would fit in your tool holder. That's not a bad thing, just wonder how you did it.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Looks pretty nice to me Chuck. You should have taken a pic from the other side of the tool to see how you did it. That bolt through the bearing looks pretty big for a piece of metal that would fit in your tool holder. That's not a bad thing, just wonder how you did it.
No problem Mike. Here's the other side. Long story short, I looked up the bearing on Fastenal website. Found one with 1/4" I.D. wrote down the item number and, took it to the local store. The guy came up with this bearing. This guy did not know his stock. So, after many minutes of looking at shelves and boxes, we finally found SOMETHING that would work. I took the parts to a friend with a welder and, here it is. Didn't even bother grinding it down. Bottom line, it works.

Attachments

• IMG_0974.JPG
    IMG_0974.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 209

bluwolf

Ah, makes sense now. I kept picturing the bolt passing through the square stock that went in your quick change holder.

Texatdurango

Good grief.......... I looked at the photo before reading your post and thought that's a heck of a way to attach a bearing and bolt to the square shaft with a wad of Blackjack chewing gum!

Must be nice knowing a welder! You know, since making my little tool I find myself using it all the time now and bet you will too!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Good grief.......... I looked at the photo before reading your post and thought that's a heck of a way to attach a bearing and bolt to the square shaft with a wad of Blackjack chewing gum!

Must be nice knowing a welder! You know, since making my little tool I find myself using it all the time now and bet you will too!
LOL... I know, at first sight, it IS ugly:eek: I had your photo in mind when I went shopping for these parts. I'm not sure if you can even say that I got close.:redface: But, yes, it does work and, I have and, will use it religiously.

Top Bottom