optimum height

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

My Father-in-Law was around 6 foot 7 and always stood to work on the metal lathe so he built the stand the lathe is attached to at a comfortable height for him. I am not nearly that tall and this is not comfortable to work with. I have been looking at the pics people are posting and I have noticed that people's lathes seem to be at a height where the operator can sit on a stool, which sounds a lot more comfortable.

So two questions:
1-At what height is your machine mounted?
2-Are you able to perch on a stool while you work?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Mine is mounted at 30" with the spindle at about 38".
I'm disabled and need crutches to walk so yes, I use an adjustable stool to sit and work. I use the kind your doctor uses for exams, it has wheels and it allows me to SCOOT around the shop, I can't work without it.:biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
No.

I don't - personally I don't feel like I have the proper control of the tool when sitting. I try to turn with my elbows tight against my body for tool stability. I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting with my arms extended. The foot of my lathe is probably about 32 inches from the floor making the cutting area around 38 - 40 or so.

Chthulhu

My Father-in-Law was around 6 foot 7 and always stood to work on the metal lathe so he built the stand the lathe is attached to at a comfortable height for him. I am not nearly that tall and this is not comfortable to work with. I have been looking at the pics people are posting and I have noticed that people's lathes seem to be at a height where the operator can sit on a stool, which sounds a lot more comfortable.

So two questions:
1-At what height is your machine mounted?
2-Are you able to perch on a stool while you work?

My Little Machine Shop 7x12 is mounted to a bench whose top is 42 inches above the floor. This puts the carriage handwheel and power feed lever at hand height with my elbows at 90 degrees while standing (I'm six feet tall). The cross slide and compound cranks are just a little higher, and the centerline is high enough that I can see what I'm doing clearly without magnification, and I don't need to stoop.

I don't use a stool; anyone physically capable of standing to work should do so in order to be able to move quickly away from the lathe if something goes wrong, rather than falling off a stool.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I don't - personally I don't feel like I have the proper control of the tool when sitting. I try to turn with my elbows tight against my body for tool stability. I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting with my arms extended. The foot of my lathe is probably about 32 inches from the floor making the cutting area around 38 - 40 or so.
I think we're talking METAL LATHE here. I'd like to see somebody tuck one of those under his arm. He'd be one bad Jose!

D.Oliver

I think we're talking METAL LATHE here. I'd like to see somebody tuck one of those under his arm. He'd be one bad Jose!

His name wasn't Jose. It was Chuck Norris.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Sorry

I try to turn with my elbows tight against my body for tool stability.

On a metal lathe where the tool is held mighty secure in the tool holder? I never thought about using my wood lathe tools with my metal lathe.
I missed the metal lathe part - don't have a clue with them, never used one.

Texatdurango

Haynie, I'm 6'3 and have my metal lathe sitting on a 33 1/2" sears workbench that is sitting on 4x4 blocks so the bench is 37" high and my spindle is right at 48" from the floor.

I actually wish it were a bit higher and if I ever get unlazy I'll make some higher riser blocks.

I sit on my tall shop stool about as much as I stand

Curly

My Grizzly G4003G spindle comes about 47" from the floor. I have some levellers under it that put it at 48". The cross slide hand wheel is at my beltline. I'm about 6"1 these days. I got wet since I was a teen and shrunk an inch. :frown:

I stand while turning but sometimes wish I had the room for a stool to sit on for a few minutes while the lathe is taking a slow pass.

Most factory size lathes are setup to have the controls at a comfortable hight while standing and there isn't much you can do about it.

Bench top machines are set up to the preferences of the owner or are plopped on whatever and wherever it is handy.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Pretty young

You must be fairly young -- I've shrunk 2 and I was only 5'10" to start with.
My Grizzly G4003G spindle comes about 47" from the floor. I have some levellers under it that put it at 48". The cross slide hand wheel is at my beltline. I'm about 6"1 these days. I got wet since I was a teen and shrunk an inch. :frown:

I stand while turning but sometimes wish I had the room for a stool to sit on for a few minutes while the lathe is taking a slow pass.

Most factory size lathes are setup to have the controls at a comfortable hight while standing and there isn't much you can do about it.

Bench top machines are set up to the preferences of the owner or are plopped on whatever and wherever it is handy.

Top Bottom