Opinions on small metal lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

okiebugg

I have a small chinese metal lathe that I bought several years ago. I've been able to use it after several modifications and repairs.

I've been told that the newer Chinese small lathes are more reliable and can be depended upon to give good results. I mainly use it to make bushinges and turn Teflon bushings, but have used it for thread cutting for kitless pens.

The reason I ask, is if you have a coupon, there is a 25% off sale Sunday only at Harbor Freight. Usually costs $500.00 and I can save $150.00 for it and use the tools I've acquired for my older lathe.

Any comments, suggestions, criticisms would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Penultimate

If you are making bushings then your current lathe should be adequate for turning pens. However, $150 off a new lathe sounds like a deal. Who is selling lathes at 25% off. Mine is several years old and works well. I had to repair the SCR's because I didn''t turn off the lathe at the e-stop. Other than that it is problem free.

okiebugg

Harbor freight

Harbor Freight is having a 25% off sale this Sunday the 8th.

They have a small Chinese lathe that I have been drooling over for several months. I've done research on the internet, and some outlets are selling the exact same lathe for as much as $780.00. HF has theirs for 25% off of the $500.00 price tag which IMO is a significant savings for me especially on a newer machine. You will have to have a coupon. If you aren't on their Email list, I don't know how you'll get one other than contacting the store manager.

I called the store manager in Tulsa to verify this price, because they usually have items being restricted. he told me no, that it was fair game and he would sell me one. I'll be there when they open

Last edited:

okiebugg

Quality/quantity

Two old sayings keep popping up in my head.

Quality vs. Quantity
You get what you pay for.

Ya know, I don't use the metal lathe much and as I said above, I am retired and don't have much to do in the daytime ther than my wood working. ( do volunteer work at an inner city hospital here in Tulsa) So, I don't mind shelling out $500.00 for another toy now and then. I have in the past combined wood turning and metal turning into one art form doing small stuff which can be sold for more $$$ to satisfy my craving. I no longer drink alcohol (unless its hot outside) and even though I'm a retired Marine, I no longer chase women, so you understand.....

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Two old sayings keep popping up in my head.

Quality vs. Quantity
You get what you pay for.
Two of the most overworked and inaccurate 'old sayings' in common use.

I look at consumer's reports when thinking about certain kinds of new things. About 5 years ago we were shopping for a Vacuum Cleaner. The highest rated unit was a Kenmore it was also rated "best buy" - it was FAR from the highest priced.

I could go on and name dozens of items that fall into the same catagory. Including a HF sliding mitre saw that I used for 5 years and sold for more than I paid. Few of them were absolutely the cheapest I could have found but NONE of them was the most expensive either.

In my experience working in a Quality Control function for 32 years I learned that a lot of things go into producing high quality goods. Selling price is not one of them. We evaluated thousands of items and we often found that the highest priced vendor was not the best. Occasionally they were but most of the time they were not.

PTsideshow

As you have said the same lathe is sold by numerous other companies under there own brands. Always makes me smile when somebody bad mouths Harbor Freight. But will buy the same thing some place else, and sink the praises.

They have been in business, 35 years have an Iron clad return policy. You can buy the extra warranty, cheap if you are worried. I have the wood lathe, and found it to be worth the money on sale and a 25% off in the past. Haven't turned any pens yet, but have turned some small things and just making chips. To know it was worth it. It is the small import lathe that is sold by all the wood working and machinery suppliers. Including Jet, Rikon, and most other you can name.

They are what they are for the hobbyist, Not for somebody cranking them out 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you get one you will find out if there are any problems if you use it some. If your not happy with it take it back!

I will say that I do have a Sherline lathe and mill, and had had them for years.

And like Smitty said it isn't always the case. But the most over used and in accurate phrase is "Common Sense", It should be "Uncommon Sense" as it seem today that there is less sense then in the past.
:clown:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
That particular one is on sale and the coupon says "Cannot be used with another discount or coupon".
In the past, my local HF would not let me use a % off coupon on an item that was on sale. You might want to call the store manager and check to be sure you can use the coupon since it is already on sale.

JMCU

It's like Smitty and PT said Harbor freight is like any other retailer some things are good some are not. You have to look at the integrity of the item if it will do what you need for the work expectected of it for a price you like then do it. I purchase from them on a reagular basis with all due reservation about expections of the equipment. You do have to be aware of restricted items on coupons although it appears the lathe would be subject to this coupon. I went to buy a plasma cutter on a coupon simular to this and they consider it to be a welder and excepted. Being familiar with welding i was not a happy camper that day and left without my usual 150 dollars worth of their product.

Daniel

You get what you pay for is true. But you can also be getting a lot of name brand and advertising costs you are paying for. I bought one of these lathes years ago. I also did my homework. I didn't just assume it was poor quality of material and I don't see a lot of advertising of these machines at any price. I actually found out why there is such a price difference.
As far as the quality of the material in a $500 machine or a $780 one. It is the same material it is just machined to a higher tolerance in the higher priced machines. In the cheaper ones you can take the machine and finish it to that same high tolerance or higher yourself. The machine comes set up to a better degree out of the box in the higher priced models also. This fine tuning you can also do yourself. The higher priced models also have higher quality longer lasting electronic components in the speed control switches etc. this is one case that you have to spend a bit more money to get the same or even higher quality. I found someone selling a kit for all the parts that needed replacing for $20. Some people do not want to do all that extra work. I actually researched what it woudl take and enjoyed it. I also got to know my lathe inside (literally) and out. I also took the time to know how well my lathe performs. IN the end I have a lathe that runs as accurately or more so and as reliably as the higher priced ones. No I did not get it for $500 if you count all that extra work. I probably got it for more like the $780. I just paid that extra $280 with my D.I.Y. abilities and spare time. They count and it is fair to consider that cost. So yes you get what you pay for. I paid for it my way and now I got what I got at a price that they seem to be sold for.
Now you can run out and pay just the $500 or so and start turning, and I believe you will end up with so so work from it. spend a few hours fine tuning it and you have a top quality machine.

ironman123

Even when buying "higher Quality" machinery you still have to do things to it to fine tune it for your application.

Ray

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
You get what you pay for is true. But you can also be getting a lot of name brand and advertising costs you are paying for. I bought one of these lathes years ago. I also did my homework. I didn't just assume it was poor quality of material and I don't see a lot of advertising of these machines at any price. I actually found out why there is such a price difference.
As far as the quality of the material in a $500 machine or a $780 one. It is the same material it is just machined to a higher tolerance in the higher priced machines. In the cheaper ones you can take the machine and finish it to that same high tolerance or higher yourself. The machine comes set up to a better degree out of the box in the higher priced models also. This fine tuning you can also do yourself. this is one case that you have to spenThe higher priced models also have higher quality longer lasting electronic components in the speed control switches etc.d a bit more money to get the same or even higher quality. I found someone selling a kit for all the parts that needed replacing for $20. Some people do not want to do all that extra work. I actually researched what it woudl take and enjoyed it. I also got to know my lathe inside (literally) and out. I also took the time to know how well my lathe performs. IN the end I have a lathe that runs as accurately or more so and as reliably as the higher priced ones. No I did not get it for $500 if you count all that extra work. I probably got it for more like the $780. I just paid that extra $280 with my D.I.Y. abilities and spare time. They count and it is fair to consider that cost. So yes you get what you pay for. I paid for it my way and now I got what I got at a price that they seem to be sold for.
Now you can run out and pay just the $500 or so and start turning, and I believe you will end up with so so work from it. spend a few hours fine tuning it and you have a top quality machine.
I wouldn't go to the bank on that - they might very well have the same electronic components. Electronics components are cheap and few are made in the USA anymore, nomatter whose name is on them. You also might find identical components with different capabilities.

Just for laughs --- Years ago one Japanese company sold 3 transistor, 4 transistor and 5 transistor radios all at different prices....they all worked on 3 transistors...the other two had the extra transistors but they weren't hooked to anything, just soldered in place. You got what you paid for...if you bought a 4 transistor radio it had 4 transistors......

Last edited:

okiebugg

Response

Even when buying "higher Quality" machinery you still have to do things to it to fine tune it for your application.

Ray

I do appreciate all of the responses to my query.

I read and re-read the store coupon several times and found no exclusions for this type of machinery. I physically called the local store manager and spoke with him for several minutes specifically about the purchase of this machine. He said no problem it is not on the exclusion list and he would sell me one on Sunday. He will be in the store on Sunday.

As far as my DIY skills, I had to repair and modify the one I have before I could use it. Tweaking it for my needs was also a part of the process.

I also went to a few web sites that sell this model and pulled up customer reviews and ALL were positive.

Im agonna buy one

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Ray

I do appreciate all of the responses to my query.

I read and re-read the store coupon several times and found no exclusions for this type of machinery. I physically called the local store manager and spoke with him for several minutes specifically about the purchase of this machine. He said no problem it is not on the exclusion list and he would sell me one on Sunday. He will be in the store on Sunday.

As far as my DIY skills, I had to repair and modify the one I have before I could use it. Tweaking it for my needs was also a part of the process.

I also went to a few web sites that sell this model and pulled up customer reviews and ALL were positive.

Im agonna buy one
jProblem is finding it for $500 .... I went to the HF web site and it's $699.00 and would be $529 after the discount. If anyone wants a Coupon and didn't get one in the mail, I found one on line doing a google on Harbor Freight coupons - be careful though the one for Easter 2011 still comes up as well as the one for 2012.

Haynie

I have found the same issue with Harbor freight as I have with other more reputable companies. If you can physically put your hands on the item you are buying and check it out before you buy then you get a more reliable machine. If you order you get what the underpaid warehouse worker gives you: the box in front.

We have some HF items that have worked flawlessly for 20 something years, and 14 dollar HF grinders that have blown the big boys out of the water.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
You get what you pay for

How many people here read consumer reports or visit their web site and compare prices. I went today and looked at over-the-range micro wave ovens. The highest rated item was less than $300....the most expensive was over $1100. One of the lowest rated items was $1000. I think you will find the same thing for many consumer items.

What that says is this - you are treading on mighty thin ice if you use price as a measure of "quality". Don't ever bet your life that paying more will get you better, whether you are buying refrigeraters, pen components or tools.

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I physically called the local store manager and spoke with him for several minutes specifically about the purchase of this machine. He said no problem it is not on the exclusion list and he would sell me one on Sunday. He will be in the store on Sunday.
If the manager said you could use the coupon, great. That's a fantastic deal.
Let us know how it works out.

okiebugg

I got it

I found out that I'm going to be in Stillwater, OK for a couple of days completing a research project I've been involved in. So, I cant go on sunday. I talked to the store manager and he found a way to let me buy it today. They had 3. The model I listed was wrong. This lathe is a 7"X10" lathe with the same bells and whistles as the 7" X 12", just less money. I got it for $375.00 and bought the replacement warranty for $79.00 it adds 2 years to the HF warranty and is a replacement warranty not a repair warranty.

I got it home and unpacked it and had to remove about 10 lbs of cosmoline grease before I could do anything. Got it put together using the instructions--easy. Turned it on, tweaked it aligned it and turned 16 Delrin tapered type bushings that I use for applying CA and plexi/acetone finish so the CA doesnt get everything balled up.

I'm impressed with lack of vibration, and the machine work of the ways and tailstock.

Mini Lathe - 7" x 10" Precision Mini Lathe

It shows it to be on sale, but it wasn't at this store. I purchased for the $499.00 less the 25% or $375.00 plus the warranty. If the link doesn't work, let me know...

Questions??????

KenV

You have a great learning opportunity --

There are Yahoo groups focused on 7 by 10 lathes and a lot of model makers use them.

Have fun making swarf - and pens!!!

okiebugg

You have a great learning opportunity --

There are Yahoo groups focused on 7 by 10 lathes and a lot of model makers use them.

Have fun making swarf - and pens!!!

Thanks for your kind words and the yahoo information.

I called a friend yesterday (works as a machinist) about this wanting to know what type of steel to buy to make a mandrel, and to make bushings. He replied that he would come to my house for a couple of hours. He brought several 3' pieces of mild steel rods. and hands on instruction.

After an hour or so of instruction, I changed out the gears to cut threads and made two mandreks for pens. After another 30 minutes got some 1/2" steel rod and over an hour made 7 Sierra type bushings that WORK.

He was impressed by the quality of workmanship of the machine and how easy it was to set up.
I'm impressed that he took the time to instruct me in such a way which allows me to use thie great machine with ease........

Last edited:

IPD_Mr

I called a friend yesterday (works as a machinist) about this wanting to know what type of steer to buy to make a mandrel, and to make bushings. He replied thet he would come to my house for a couple of hours. He brought several 3' pieces of mild steel rods. and hands on instruction.

After an hour or so of instruction, I changed out the gears to cut threads and made two mandreks for pens. After another 30 minutes got some 1/2" steel rod and over an hour made 7 Sierra type bushings thaT WORK.

He was impressed by the quality of workmanship of the machine and how easy it was to set up.
I'm impressed that he took the time to instruct me in such a way which allows me to use thie great machine with ease........

Now that is cool! It really helps when you get someone that has the experience to help guide and avoid a few of the pitfalls.

ironman123

Okiebugg, I have a 7x10 HF metal lathe, a HF 9x20 metal lathe, a HF Micro Mill 47158, converted to CNC and a HF Horizontal/Vertical Metal cutting Bandsaw. All machines running since 2005 with no problems. (So far)

Forums and Yahoo Groups on each machine have lots of information on which modifications and/or additions to help make them more efficient.

Enjoy.

ironman123 (Ray)

PTsideshow

I just add that most of the re branded import lathes from China are made by Sieg machine tools.
商å"展示 This is their web page
This is their product pages, you will notice other than the colors they are painted why the imports look alike.
These are their new machines, They also have a division that makes woodworking equipment too.
Little machine shop deal in their lathes and Mills.

I have the Sherline lathe and mill but often think of getting one of the larger midi style lathes.

okiebugg

Prices

I just add that most of the re branded import lathes from China are made by Sieg machine tools.
商å"展示 This is their web page
This is their product pages, you will notice other than the colors they are painted why the imports look alike.
These are their new machines, They also have a division that makes woodworking equipment too.
Little machine shop deal in their lathes and Mills.

I have the Sherline lathe and mill but often think of getting one of the larger midi style lathes.

They have a piece of equipment that interests me and several accessories. How do I find prices?????:biggrin:

PTsideshow

Depending on what it is you want. Like the some of the stuff on the second page is sold by Micro mark.
One place for the machines and accessories for Sieg and other mini and midi lathes LittleMachineShop.com - Machines: Lathes
Is the Little Machine shop.com. If you look in their descriptions of the assorted size lathes, they will tell you that our lathe is Sieg model such and such.
Mirco-Mark has their version also along with some of the other tools and tooling. https://www.micromark.com/

Harbor Freight sell machines and other items like the universal bender.

Wholesale tool locations also sell the equipment. Wholesale Tool | Industrial Machinery + Tool Supply

There are a number of yahoo forums on Sieg lathes, and they probably list what brands are made by them.

Sieg C3 Mini Lathe - YouTube Their are a number of Utbe vids on the brand or the re badged ones. This one is on the Mirco Mark version. I haven't watched any of them, they may be for or against them.

As others have said on this site, The import equipment and supplies is here to stay. They have improved the equipment greatly in recent years. And price is only an indicator or the market they are competing in. On other home shop type forums the guys and gals that by used equipment. All do end up complaining about the problems they have getting the equipment back to spec's. Some of them just end up moving the equipment to some other unsuspecting person.

Google Sieg lathes and you will get a lot of info and some leads on were to buy them.

I will add this disclaimer, I know the guy that owns Little machine shop, and the people from Sherline. They both are vendors at the North American Model Engineering Society Expo that I am a volunteer at every year setting up the air lines etc. I will post detailed information in the general conversation forum .

April 21-22 2012 @ the Yack arena in 3131 3rd street Wyandotte Mi.Lots of machined gas,steam & sterling cycle engines. Operating scale models.

okiebugg

Sideshow

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks for all of the info you provided.

I don't mean to push my luck with you, but I have 2 questions about cutting bits. Do you think I could call you or the reverse? I'm just a plain ole retired SgtMgr and wouldn't end up stalking you J/K.

The best time to reach me is after 9:00 pm which is kind of different, But some of the time I can be found at Removed personal phone numbers from the open forum for safety
If you are not too busy I would certainly appreciate it. ........Billy

Last edited by a moderator:

jdporter99

That particular one is on sale and the coupon says "Cannot be used with another discount or coupon".
In the past, my local HF would not let me use a % off coupon on an item that was on sale. You might want to call the store manager and check to be sure you can use the coupon since it is already on sale.

Far too late now of course, but for future reference, I received the 25% off coupon in email from HF and went in to purchase the belt/disk sander. It was marked regular price $99.99 on sale for $69.99. I asked a worker if I could use the coupon and she said she would check and see if the register would accept it. Of course she came back and said no, that since it was on sale the coupon could not be used. When I got to the register I thought what the heck worst she can do is say no. She scanned the sander scanned the coupon and bam, $52 and change. Took less than 30 seconds and not a blink.

okiebugg

Far too late now of course, but for future reference, I received the 25% off coupon in email from HF and went in to purchase the belt/disk sander. It was marked regular price $99.99 on sale for $69.99. I asked a worker if I could use the coupon and she said she would check and see if the register would accept it. Of course she came back and said no, that since it was on sale the coupon could not be used. When I got to the register I thought what the heck worst she can do is say no. She scanned the sander scanned the coupon and bam, $52 and change. Took less than 30 seconds and not a blink.

The 7 X 10 Lathe wasn't on sale other than the 25% off sale, so I bought the $499.00 lathe for $375.00. The store manager even helped me!!! Thanks

Top Bottom