Oil Holes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

So on my metal lathe there are lots of points to add oil (little brass insterts with ball bearings in the middle) and the question is what type of oil can does one use for this.?? I have used a couple of different ones and they all seem to block the hole when you push on the steel ball.

Lin.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Not Grease Nipples.

You need to find an oil can something like this one from Grizzly.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/High-Pressure-Oil-Can-5-Oz-With-Steel-Nozzle/H7615

The metal tip presses the ball down so the oil can squirt around it. Doesn't take much at each oiler. There usually some oil that leaks out from around the fitting/nozzle when squirting.

My lathe came with a metal tipped squeeze bottle to do the same.

manatee

Be careful and not press too hard or you will damage the insert. I oiled one this morning and it won't come back up so I will have to replace it if I can get it out.

workinforwood

It's not grease nipples, it's oil points. You get an oil can with a small round steel tip. The tip pushes the ball down and you then pump in some oil. I use Way oil in mine, #5 mobil if I remember right. Squirt it in the holes every few times the machine is used and also squirt it along the ways and run the tailstock and cross slide along the ways to spread it out and soak it in. Then I spray the the machine <unpainted surfaces of course> with motorkote, synthetic penetrating oil, comes in an aerosol type can. you can't have too much oil protection, just not enough.

those grizzly pics are exactly right. If you can find an all metal one with no plastic parts, even better. Those plastic ones tend to fall apart real fast. i got an old vintage aluminum one at a garage sale, it's dinged up but it works excellent and no doubt has pumped many gallons over the years.

Last edited:

bluwolf

So now for the $64 question................. How does one remove and replace a damaged port, (one where the ball will not pop back up)?

By screwing into the hole and using the screw for a handle gently prying it out. They're a press fit. If you rock them a little with the screw, sometimes in a slight circular motion it should come out. Then just press in a new one.

Texatdurango

So now for the $64 question................. How does one remove and replace a damaged port, (one where the ball will not pop back up)?

By screwing into the hole and using the screw for a handle gently prying it out. They're a press fit. If you rock them a little with the screw, sometimes in a slight circular motion it should come out. Then just press in a new one.
Ah......... I knew someone would know! Thanks. I've got a couple that in my first weeks of use I got a little aggessive and knocked a few loose.

lorbay

So are these a standard size??? where would you get them from.??? I asked a few places here and got the deer in the head lights look.

Lin.

Top Bottom