A novice lathe for unsteady hands?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RJNPT

Hi. My hands shake a bit at times and I wish to get a lathe to make fountain pens on. My biggest concern is I never made a pen but I want to make a smart decision. There are two different lathes i am currently looking at,

Benchtop Wood Lathe - 8" x 12"

and

7" x 12" Mini Metal Lathe

Would it be wise to to start with a less expensive machine and see if pen making is really something I can handle or will this less expensive machine only cause frustration that may lead me to not want to turn pens?

If I purchase the more expensive machine it might give me more control and a happier time with my pen turning hobby. If this does not help with my enthusiasm to create pens then I will just have another place to hang my coat and to store my magazines and mail on.

A big part of making the wise choice is saving money. If I start with the small machine will I be wanting to purchase a bigger machine in the near future? If I buy the more expensive lathe I could just save that money that I did not spend on the cheaper lathe.

I am also with unsteady hands (they tend to shake) due to a past spine surgery. There are times when they are more of a problem but they can often be calm and in control. With this information, do you know of a machine that is no more than $600.00 that does not require a lot of hand tools to create the pen? I have seen this lathe on youtube.com and wish to get the model of that lathe or understand what kind of lathe is being used there- - it gives me hope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9AfZK9Hy8E

Thank you in advance, any information will be much appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
IF your considering a small metal lathe The Taig may be an Option.
Taig Tools - Desktop Milling Machines and Lathes.. I used one to start with. They have an accessory tool rest for turning wood. You can buy an ER32 collet chuck later for advanced work. Accessories are cheap and available. Its made in the USA.

RJNPT

Hi, I would suggest that you go along to a chapter or club close to you, so that you can meet people that are willing to impart their knowledge and guide you, as self learning can be a very frustrating thing.
Kryn

It is unfortunate, I live 60 - 100 miles away from any person who could give an honest answer. This is why these forums are valuable to me. I hope there are persons who are on here who are willing to give tips that will lead me to the ideal lathe. I hope that is what these forums are all about?

Marnat3

"I hope there are persons who are on here who are willing to give tips that will lead me to the ideal lathe. I hope that is what these forums are all about?"

There are more people here willing to help than I have ever encountered any where.

wyone

I wish I knew more so I could offer assistance. I am actually thinking a small metal turning lathe might be your best bet as it can have a fixed cutter than you can move with a screw thread type of action. I am not certain exactly how it works as I have never owned one, but one day I might. :)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I think Mike Redburn has offered you some great information. You should check into it. Unless your PMs have a sweeter fruit :biggrin: Good luck!

magpens

Over the last 5 years I have turned about 700 pens on a 7" x 12" mini metal lathe. I really like it. I can do all sorts of little jobs other than pens. I find it very versatile even for wood. Learning was very easy for me. I am in my 70's and starting to have a little unsteadiness but have no problem turning beautiful pens on this lathe.

I have tried to make pens on a bench-top wood lathe and find it much harder to achieve satisfactory results. The learning curve seems very steep to me.

Last edited:

Dale Allen

I would think that the assist from a steady tool post and consistent movement from the way a metal lathe works would be a great advantage. It has me thinking ahead in my own case.

RJNPT....I can relate, I'm 90 % paralyzed in 1 arm so I know how difficult turning anything can be..I have a jet wood lathe and purchased a grizzly mini metal lathe..they are discounted to $495, regular $625.....good days I use the jet with carbide........not so good days I use the grizzly....you are more than welcome to pm me if needed.GOOD LUCK

Last edited:

RJNPT

What is the beter 7" x 12" lathe?

The HF or Grizzley?

2 lathes.jpg

sbwertz

My husband has essential tremor and bought a set of fingerless, weighted gloves. They put a weight across the back of the hand to dampen the tremors. It helps a lot.

KenV

Unless you have a Harbor Freight store very close at hand and purchase the tool warranty, Grizzly is probably your better choice.

Both were probably made in the same factory -- but with different specifications and quality control. The Grizzly parts and service out of Bellingham WA will give you better odds when you have a mechanical challenge.

And I see in the pictures that there is a price advantage to Grizzly

robutacion

Yes, I also believe, the small metal lathe would be a much better option for you..!

There is one particular aspect of your spine injury and the shaking of you hands that, will give all sorts of troubles, on a normal wood lathe, why...?? because, you may not always control, if ever (not sure in your case) the "jump" like an electric shock and the subsequent shaking, if you are holding a cutting gouge on the final stages of the pen barrel shaping, the odds are, you hand will move forwards and you will provoke a catch and that my friend, will more often than not, be the end of that barrel.

Even holding a normal cutting gouge against the turning blank,regardless of what shape and size, when your hands are trembling, would be an almost impossible task or at least, a very difficult one...!

With that said, it all depends of the severity and frequency of the shaking, I know of a bloke on YouTube that uses a wood lathe and his hands shake a lot but he seems to manage quite well.

I went to look for his name or his YouTube channel but, for the life of me, I can't find him. I know that he had an accident last year I believe and, he couldn't turn for some time but, I saw a couple of his clips after that accident so, one of you folks may know who I'm talking about and share is channel here, sorry...!

Either wood or metal lathes, will require and investment on tools and accessories, with Internet in our days, there is no shortage of info, if you know where to look, YouTube is and will always be, a great place to see and learn...!

Best of luck...!

Cheers
George

chartle

I have the same small HF wood lathe and now that I think about it shaking hands. Had it for years.

I'm fine though and can do very fine work because of the tool rest.

Rockytime

Hi. My hands shake a bit at times and I wish to get a lathe to make fountain pens on. My biggest concern is I never made a pen but I want to make a smart decision. There are two different lathes i am currently looking at,<SNIP>

Forgive me if I am beating a dead horse. You have received lots of good advice. I have a similar problem so I'm wading in. I have neuropathy because of diabetes. I halve very poor balance and sometimes use a cane. I have had a midi lathe for about a year and a half. When I began turning my lathe was mounted on a bench with the spindle about elbow height. It soon became obviousness to me that it would not work out. I would flinch and get a catch, ruining the blank. I watch videos of turners using body language to control the tool. I cannot do that. I have to use my arms and hands. I turn sitting down with my lathe mounted elbow high. I keep my elbows against my side to control my hand movements. It works well for me. I have several metal lathes and use each of them. Problem with turning pens on a metal lathe is everything is a straight line. Controlling shapes with a cross slide does not work except for Slimlines. Suggestions using a metal lathe are good and will work. Learning to adapt to a mini or midi lathe will give you such a sense of accomplishment. I certainly wish you all the success in the world. Welcome to the wonderful world of pen making.

Regards, Les

magpens

How About a Little Machine Shop Lathe

RJNPT:

If I were buying another small metal-working lathe, I would seriously considering buying the Hi Torque lathe from Little Machine Shop. I have bought accessories from them, but never an actual machine. Their customer support seems to be excellent and I believe their lathe is superior to the ones you mentioned.

Last edited:

RJNPT

Thank you for all the help and great advice. I am setting up a work area and readying myself for a 7 x12 metal lathe. I really appreciate all the information!

Top Bottom