Not a Metal lathe, but a Mill!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

So I'm perusing my catalogues while I'm saving up for a mill.

I have my eye on this one, and I was curious if any other members owned one under a different brand name which they would like to give some feedback on.

From what I've read online, these Warco VMC Turret mills seem pretty popular. I'm am unsure if I should gofor an R8 or a MT3. I recall many years ago using R8's on the bridgeport machines I used, but I know very little about if there's any benefit of an R8 over an MT3 or vice versa etc. As I own no pre existing tooling, would it matter?

Warco VMC Turret Mill - High Quality Metal Milling Machine

attachment.php

Attachments

• vmc-turret-mill---vertical-milling-machine.jpg
    vmc-turret-mill---vertical-milling-machine.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 782
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That's one snazzy looking machine !!!! . Sorry I don't have enough experience to advise on R8 vs. MT3. All my equipment is Morse Taper for interchangeability reasons.

frank123

Go R8.

Much more availability of R8 stuff than MT3 stuff and usually cheaper too.

Go the DRO if you can, and the power feeds too if you're willing to spend that much. (They can always be added later if you don't have the free cash now and cheaper options are available that can be adapted to your machine if need be). A DRO makes everything so much easier.

Metric might be more useful in the UK than Imperial, you'll have to think about this a bit.

Curly

R8 is designed for milling machines where Morse tapers came from an earlier time for use in drills and lathes. R8 also comes in many sizes of collets in 1/64" increments from 1/16" to 3/4". I don't know if they come in metric sizes but suspect they do. On this side of the pond they are the most common type of collet for small mills. You and the Aussies have more mills with Morse tapers. You need to look at the collet sizes and decide which is readily available. While you can put an ER32 adapter in both types of spindle, which is a better tool holding system, it eats up height over the table that you don't have a lot of to spare.

randyrls

I'm am unsure if I should gofor an R8 or a MT3. I recall many years ago using R8's on the bridgeport machines I used, but I know very little about if there's any benefit of an R8 over an MT3 or vice versa etc. As I own no pre existing tooling, would it matter?

Brad; The R8 is pretty standard. You may find some things hard to find in MT3. The only reason to get an MT3 is so you can swap tooling between lathe and mill.

As Frank said; Go for the DRO set. This means you can easily switch from Imperial to Metric!

You probably know this already, but make sure you use drawbars as added insurance. Getting chased be a madly spinning end mill isn't any fun!!

Last edited:

BradG

Thanks for the info chaps, il do some googling based on your info and make my mind up from there

I will definitely be getting a DRO installed on it. powerfeeds will come later for sure.

MattTheHat

I have the Grizzly version of that mill with the power cross feed, but without the DRO or power knee. It's a nice mill. I recommend R8.

-Matt

Top Bottom