Not exactly a pen but definitely metal lathe project - WOW

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mapster

Extremely cool! I still don't understand all of it, don't know how he controls the rpm, and does it really use combustion? Nonetheless it is awesome. The cam shaft is very impressive, definitely my favorite part

BradG

perhaps you chaps would enjoy browsing this site :)
http://ridders.nu/index.htm

Jan Ridders is a model engine machinist with some fantastic designs. he will even email you the schematics of how to make these engines for free as he has done for me in the past.

I particularly like the flame eaters

LeeR

Extremely cool! I still don't understand all of it, don't know how he controls the rpm, and does it really use combustion? Nonetheless it is awesome. The cam shaft is very impressive, definitely my favorite part

I think he is using compressed air to drive it, based on the tubing going into the intake near the end of the video. Simply amazing workmanship! At DIA (Denver International Airport) a few years ago, they had a monster display of model aircraft engines along a long walkway between terminals. I am not sure if any worked, but they were the most perfectly downscaled models I had ever seen. Thee machining skills of these metal turners is just unbelievable.

bitshird

There is a fellow that does some Demos for Sherline Co.Jerry Kieffer, He built a working Harley Davidson engine powered by some type of liquid fuel, my guess would be model airplane fuel, he even made the Spark/ Glow plugs, the motor was just over 1.5 inches from the bottom of the crank case to the top of the heads, and it ran.
I love watching guys like him, he has more work than he can handle, besides the advertising Sherline toys, and was getting 2 bills an hour, it's amazing what some of these Miniature machinists get, and the demand in large metropolitan areas, PLUS there is a bunch of money for prizes at shows like N.A.M.E.S. The V12 engine is pretty darned cool. I can't imagine how long the different setups took. or how many hours it took to machine it.

bitshird

1220 hours to complete, WOW!!! at normal shop rates around here 75.00 an hour to 120 per hour $91,500.00 and this is a cheap area I think I could buy a real Ferrari engine, and put it in my 70 bug. I have hammers a milling machine torches and pry bars plus a lathe. I'll make it fit!!!

Top Bottom