Newbie needs help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ajk251

I have a fairly new lathe - a HF 7x12 (purchased new), but recently started having trouble with it. When I go to change gears, the D shaft in particular does not turn easily - it requires more force to turn it than the other gears. I have taken the lead-screw off and lubricated it with lithium grease (and I regularly spray lithium grease on the gears and into the transmission gears) but it hasn't seemed to work. Am I doing something wrong?

Your thoughts, suggestions, and comments are appreciated.

rherrell

Are your half nuts disengaged? Does it do it with the "C" gear disengaged?

If the answer is YES to both questions then the only other thing it could be is the pillow blocks, they could be in a bind. You say you removed them so MAYBE they moved a little. Loosen them up a little and try it. If that doesn't work you can remove one and drill out the mounting holes a hair bigger, that might give it some room to releive the binding. I say MIGHT because I've never encountered this problem so PLEASE check everything before you go drilling on it.:wink:

Last edited:

randyrls

When I go to change gears, the D shaft in particular does not turn easily - it requires more force to turn it than the other gears. I have taken the lead-screw off and lubricated it with lithium grease (and I regularly spray lithium grease on the gears and into the transmission gears) but it hasn't seemed to work. Am I doing something wrong?

Your thoughts, suggestions, and comments are appreciated.

Aaron; There is a very active 7x group on YAHOO Groups. Create a YAHOO account and search for "7x12lathe". This group is very active and always willing to help.

Unfortunately, I do not have a 7x lathe.
Hope this helps......

ajk251

The half-nut will engage and disengage. The compound rest needs some tightening though. And A and B/C gears rotate just fine. I have trouble putting the D gear on, so something might be wedged or jammed.

Somehow I think I have just offended the pen gods and have to go find a Bic to sacrifice...

And I think I will go join that Yahoo Group... Thanks for the suggestions!

Top Bottom