New toy on way! Now I need advice on accessories please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dansills

Saw a post about the HF 7x12 last week that was on sale with the coupon plus $7 shipping. I couldn't pass it.... $462 shipped to my door.

So here is my questions and I thank everyone in advance for any input you can give:

1). Which accessories and or upgrades from LMS are a must in your opinion?

2). Should I just go ahead and get one of LMS's mini lathe tooling value packs and if so which one?

3). Where/How do I find a chuck to hold my ER32 collets? (LMS seems high)

4). I have read about cleaning the packing grease off the lathe first thing. Necessary? And if so best way to do it?

5). Is a 4 jaw chuck needed if I only intend on turning round stock?

6). Any known alignment issues? Fixes, tricks or tips?

6). Any other suggestions, pointers or comments?

Hopefully we can keep this thread going for anyone considering a metal lathe but are also like me and just simply have never been around one. Again, thank you to all who respond with answers or suggestions on the above questions.

In case you can't tell I'm super excited for it to get here :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Dan; There are two styles of collet chucks. The first has an MT taper that fits in the headstock. You must use a draw-bar with this style chuck. Also the MT taper doesn't allow you to put stock thru the headstock.

The second kind mounts to the mounting flange and allows stock to be fed thru the headstock. It doesn't need a draw-bar.

Chronos.ltd.uk has collet chucks but you might find it hard to match to your lathe.

KBs Pensnmore

Saw a post about the HF 7x12 last week that was on sale with the coupon plus $7 shipping. I couldn't pass it.... $462 shipped to my door.

So here is my questions and I thank everyone in advance for any input you can give:

1). Which accessories and or upgrades from LMS are a must in your opinion?
Dial indicator, good quality cutting tips, measuring tools, micrometer vernier etc

2). Should I just go ahead and get one of LMS's mini lathe tooling value packs and if so which one?
It would be difficult to say as Don't know your intentions

ER32 Collet Chuck Fixture B143 | eBay is a good buy, killer for me is postage.

4). I have read about cleaning the packing grease off the lathe first thing. Necessary? And if so best way to do it?
Most definitely, as it will collect, dust, swarf, shavings, etc. Strip it down and wash the parts in I think you guys over there call it "Paraffin" a petroleum based cleaner. As someone suggested get the book on it and upon reassembly, put it within tolerance, you will also understand what doe's what

5). Is a 4 jaw chuck needed if I only intend on turning round stock?
Yes, as sometimes the bar is NOT round and you will be able to "dial it in",
particularly if returning it to the chuck after you realise that you didn't take off enough.

6). Any known alignment issues? Fixes, tricks or tips?
Check that it not turning a taper, other threads here will explain how to check for this.

7). Any other suggestions, pointers or comments?
There are several books that are written on using and setting up a small lathe, also items to make that will be useful, ie, a stop clamp to prevent the saddle connecting with the chuck. Also mentioned in another thread here.

Hopefully we can keep this thread going for anyone considering a metal lathe but are also like me and just simply have never been around one. Again, thank you to all who respond with answers or suggestions on the above questions.

In case you can't tell I'm super excited for it to get here :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Dan

Above all enjoy and Regards
Kryn

Last edited:

ChrisN

I am particularly interested in this thread, now that HF has a 25% off coupon! One important accessory I am going to need is a collet chuck. I have found a few sites in the UK that sell ER32 collet chucks, also. ArcEuroTrade is one place, along with Chronos, who sells a set including the chuck. Unfortunately, ER32 chucks seem to be rare. :mad:

dansills

Thanks for starting this thread, I just bought the Micro Mark on their Cyber Monday sale and am in the same boat as you are!

Good deal... Perhaps some of the people that know will start posting some answers maybe.

I am particularly interested in this thread, now that HF has a 25% off coupon! One important accessory I am going to need is a collet chuck. I have found a few sites in the UK that sell ER32 collet chucks, also. ArcEuroTrade is one place, along with Chronos, who sells a set including the chuck. Unfortunately, ER32 chucks seem to be rare. :mad:

Yeah, I'm having the same issue. I was kinda hoping there would be way more responses with help by now. Perhaps I'm just being impatient though.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
With 275 views currently its more likely no one has a different answer. If you dont need to push turning stock into the spindle than the one like this can work.
New ER32 MT2 3 8" Collet Chuck Holder CNC Millling US | eBay
You can always make one, I made one for my 6 inch Atlas since there was no supplier for them at the time I wanted one.

it has its limitations but it may work for what you want to do.
They make scroll 4 jaw and 4 jaw independent chucks. The square one makes it easy to turn a square blank round. How much do you want to invest in it. Like all things the cost of the lathe is only the begining.

KBs Pensnmore

You can end up with a small fortune, owning a lathe. How you might ask?
Start with a big one:biggrin:
I've invested over $15,000 in hobby metal working gear, it is not a job anymore, done it for 45+ years.
Kryn

Paul in OKC

I would recommend just getting the lathe and a few cutters first. The three jaw chuck, while not perfect, will do fine if you are turning and drilling or what ever inside work at the same time. If you are holding a piece that is finished size and doing inside work, it will be iffy. But again, get basics first and learn how to use it before going whole hog on stuff would be my suggestion.

dansills

Here's what I got for my collets. It works great, and I think it will work for yours too. But measure 1st. It may give the dimensions in the specs on your lathe. If not, just take off the chuck & measure the recess where the chuck mounts to the spindle.

ER32 Collet Chuck Fixture B143 | eBay

Thanks!! Ordered it this morning.

With 275 views currently its more likely no one has a different answer. If you dont need to push turning stock into the spindle than the one like this can work.
New ER32 MT2 3 8" Collet Chuck Holder CNC Millling US | eBay
You can always make one, I made one for my 6 inch Atlas since there was no supplier for them at the time I wanted one.

it has its limitations but it may work for what you want to do.
They make scroll 4 jaw and 4 jaw independent chucks. The square one makes it easy to turn a square blank round. How much do you want to invest in it. Like all things the cost of the lathe is only the begining.

Thank you very much Mike for giving your thoughts. Your expertise is greatly appreciated.

You can end up with a small fortune, owning a lathe. How you might ask?
Start with a big one:biggrin:
I've invested over $15,000 in hobby metal working gear, it is not a job anymore, done it for 45+ years.
Kryn

I am starting to see that... My wife already thinks it's a 2nd job and not a hobby :eek:

ChrisN

Well, I've got my HF 7x12 ordered, but it's on back order.:frown: I did see on the description page, that shipping may take up to 13 weeks, but I hope it gets here sooner than that, like, a LOT sooner!:biggrin:

I've done a ton of research on getting started, fixes, and upgrades for the lathe. A good place to start is mini-lathe.com home page. I especially found the Adjustments and the Modifications pages to be interesting. The modifications page links to several other sites with mods on them, and quite a bit of time can be spent looking, thinking, and researching these modifications. DAMHIKT!:rolleyes: Also, I think I have a severe case of TES!:eek::wink:

ChrisN

I have used a 7 x 12 since 2002. Best and most used upgrade would be a cam lock for the tail stock. Something like this one:

Tailstock Cam Lock Kit 2018 - LittleMachineShop.com

John

Yeah, that upgrade is definitely on my list. I did find a tutorial on how to make your own, entirely on the lathe. I think I'm going to do that to save $$ and gain skills. I'll have to find a link when I get home.

dansills

Well, I've got my HF 7x12 ordered, but it's on back order.:frown: I did see on the description page, that shipping may take up to 13 weeks, but I hope it gets here sooner than that, like, a LOT sooner!:biggrin:

I've done a ton of research on getting started, fixes, and upgrades for the lathe. A good place to start is mini-lathe.com home page. I especially found the Adjustments and the Modifications pages to be interesting. The modifications page links to several other sites with mods on them, and quite a bit of time can be spent looking, thinking, and researching these modifications. DAMHIKT!:rolleyes: Also, I think I have a severe case of TES!:eek::wink:

Mine said that too..... BUT I HAD A CRATE SITTING ON MY DOORSTEP WHEN I GOT HOME TODAY,!!!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

I have used a 7 x 12 since 2002. Best and most used upgrade would be a cam lock for the tail stock. Something like this one:

John

Thanks Chuck.... Added to my list for LMS. I think I'm going to go with their lathe tooling package as well.

ChrisN

BUT I HAD A CRATE SITTING ON MY DOORSTEP WHEN I GOT HOME TODAY,!!!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

What a nice surprise!:good::good:I hope mine comes as fast as yours!

John

Thanks Chuck.... Added to my list for LMS. I think I'm going to go with their lathe tooling package as well.

Here is the link to the DIY cam lock. He says it is similar to the one LMS sells. Build a MiniLathe Tailstock Camlock

Edit: Oh, and here's another resource I found: LMS's guide to the mini-lathe

Last edited:

seamus7227

Don't know if this is against the rules, but slide on over to the Hobby Machinist forum (The Hobby-Machinist.com - The Friendly Machinist Forum®) and check the Asian machinery section. Better yet, ask your question there. TONS of folks own them and spend half their time modding them. :)

Everyone on here knows that I will want to chime in on this one.:biggrin: So I will speak on my own behalf and not on the behalf of everyone else on here, but the admin of that group is not very nice. So while your comments are appreciated on the IAP, rest assured you wont be banned for simply making a comment or posting your suggestion to check out that group. I dont recommend anyone looking to better themselves to go to that forum unless they plan to only lurk.

Paul in OKC

Sorry for your bad experience there, Seamus. I lurk there occasionally, but it is rare. In some of these hobby groups there is some good info for folks to learn. My struggle with them is the few opinionated ones who ruin it for those that just want to have fun with the hobby. I have been a machinist now for 37 years, knowledgeable, yes. Yoda, not! But all that really does is make me impatient with these little machines as I am used to running lathes that you could chuck these little ones into :). It is amazing what some do with them.

dansills

Here's what I got for my collets. It works great, and I think it will work for yours too. But measure 1st. It may give the dimensions in the specs on your lathe. If not, just take off the chuck & measure the recess where the chuck mounts to the spindle.

Okay so I ghought I measured correctly but didn't. This one is 4" and the faceplate on the HF 7x12 is 3". Will the chuck fit the lathe if I order this from LMS:

Backplate Lathe Chuck Adapter 4" to 3" 4769 - LittleMachineShop.com

:confused::confused:

ChrisN

Okay so I ghought I measured correctly but didn't. This one is 4" and the faceplate on the HF 7x12 is 3". Will the chuck fit the lathe if I order this from LMS:

Backplate Lathe Chuck Adapter 4" to 3" 4769 - LittleMachineShop.com

:confused::confused:

I did see in the description that you will have to machine the front of the adapter to make it fit your chuck. So if you are OK with that, it may be what you're looking for. For future reference, I did find a US supplier of ER32 chucks - H&H Industrial Products. Here is the link to the chuck I am planning on ordering. They are on ebay with good reviews, so I don't think it's some fly-by-night operation.

designer

For the cleaning as you disassemble, use simple green. Works fast, non toxic and non flammable. I use "Awesome" cleaner a lot, but never tried it on equipment. Simple green will even take off true creosote and keep it emulsified for clean up. Always oil after use of course.

ChrisN

Well, my er32 chuck came today, and it fits. I ended up purchasing it from Amazon so I could get 3% back in points with my Amazon credit card. Here is a link to the product, and the review I posted:

This is the only outfit I found that was selling ER32 chucks in this configuration for a reasonable price. It fits perfectly on the Harbor Freight 7x12 mini-lathe. Just a note - you will need a spanner (also available from this seller) and some M6 screws and nuts to mount and use this chuck properly. I just wish it would have flats machined on the body to allow using a wrench to tighten the collets easier. Overall, a good chuck, and a good price.

I didn't realize that the spanner was needed (a little more research would have shown that), so I ended up purchasing it from LMS, along with their studs and nuts kit and a few other miscellaneous things.

Top Bottom