new toy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I just bought a taper attachment for a 1953 16" south bend for $500.00 and it came with a ...lathe attached to it. This should be able to turn a few pens.

Attachments

• lathe3.jpg
    lathe3.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 548
  • lathe2.jpg
    lathe2.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 531
  • lathe.jpg
    lathe.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 511
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Love the new toy ... turning green with envy ...

Any chance of a Damascus style blank made of copper/brass in the Mokkume (wood grain) appearance? :)

robutacion

Wow, that is what I call a "brute" of a machine, just moving that thing around is a job and a half, better you than me...!

When I saw the pics and before I read the text, I thought to myself that the machine looks older than me, after reading the text, I saw that I was right, same decade just a few short years apart...!:)

As for turning pens on it, its a bit of an overkill isn't it...?

I'm sure you had a very good reason to buy it and that is good enough for me.

Cheers
George

thewishman

You are so going to love dragging the tailstock back and forth drilling your Damascus. I have used almost the same machine drilling metal blanks. After a few hours of that, my wood lathe seems like a child's toy.

Wow, that is what I call a "brute" of a machine, just moving that thing around is a job and a half, better you than me...!

When I saw the pics and before I read the text, I thought to myself that the machine looks older than me, after reading the text, I saw that I was right, same decade just a few short years apart...!:)

As for turning pens on it, its a bit of an overkill isn't it...?

I'm sure you had a very good reason to buy it and that is good enough for me.

Cheers
George

Literaly I bought it for the tapper attachment. My 9" SB and 13" SB both dont have one and to buy one was $800-$1k. this machine works well and had the tapper and was only $500.00. However you are right she weighs in at 3600lbs thank God for my 2tonn bridge crane.

This is some industrial strength stuff. Probably will last another lifetime!!! Nice acquisition :)

Thx. the whole reason I got it was for the tapper attachment, my other 2 lathes dont have one but the plus side is I can almost take 0.200" per cut. that's almost 3/8" off the dia. in one pass. with the collet set up and the depth of cut I can take my damascus blanks to finished size with 2 rough cut passes and one spring cut (finish cut). time to crank out some pens.

keep the chips flying

Top Bottom