New Lathe in the Family

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JPMcConnel

After a seven-month wait I finally received my new PM1340GT metal lathe from Quality Machine Tools. I am hoping to take my kitless pen making to new heights (and support my new little business hobby). Here are some pictures of the new baby. Just to put it in perspective, my Little Machine Shop HiTorque 8.5 X 16 metal lathe weighs in at just under 300 pounds; the PM1340GT weighs in at just over 1200 pounds. It was quite a challenge to get it moved, but it is one beautiful lathe.

Pat McConnel

Attachments

• The Packagev2.jpg
    The Packagev2.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 545
  • SafeLandingv2.jpg
    SafeLandingv2.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 403
  • NewLatheHomev2.jpg
    NewLatheHomev2.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 745
  • PM1340GTCloseupV5.jpg
    PM1340GTCloseupV5.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 1,018
  • NewPM1340GTShopV3.jpg
    NewPM1340GTShopV3.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 762
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timebandit

Very nice Pat!! I have the PM1127VF and i love it. You will love this lathe! That quick change gear box should make changes a breeze, and the DRO is great. I got the DRO on mine as well. I am i little baffled how you got that in there?! That shop looks a little small! Mine weighing in at 660lbs had to be but on the desk with an engine hoist and barely got up high enough to do it.

Enjoy!!

PS: Whats the lever down at the bottom on the carriage on the power feed rod do. Mine doesnt have this. A little curious?

Last edited:

JPMcConnel

Very nice Pat!! I have the PM1127VF and i love it. You will love this lathe! That quick change gear box should make changes a breeze, and the DRO is great. I got the DRO on mine as well. I am i little baffled how you got that in there?! That shop looks a little small! Mine weighing in at 660lbs had to be but on the desk with an engine hoist and barely got up high enough to do it.

Enjoy!!

PS: Whats the lever down at the bottom on the carriage on the power feed rod do. Mine doesnt have this. A little curious?

The lathe weighs over 1200 pounds with the base, the lathe proper weighs close to a 1000 pounds. To get the unit to the shop I hired out the owner of a Troy Dingo with tracks and tree forks to get it up off the driveway and across 175' of yard ($160 for a hour). Getting it into the shop and on the stands required two friends, a one ton and a two ton shop crane, along with a three ton low profile floor jack. As you noted, tight quarters meant different strategies: three hours to accomplish.

The PM1340GT has three rods: lead screw, feed shaft, spindle rotation control shaft; the spindle rotation control lever is what you are seeing. Down for counterclockwise rotation, middle for neutral, and up for clockwise rotation.

I originally looked at the PM1127VF-LB, and still think it is a sweet lathe, but my wife said at the time that it was too big, so being new to the game of lathes (and old to the game of marriage) I said OK and bought a smaller lathe (a LMS Hi Torque 8.5 X 16 lathe: 300 pounds). She should have listened to me in the first place, LOL. The second time around I almost bought your model again, but I thought a little bigger would be better and before you know it I ordered this one because it is reputed to be very high quality. These are not easily come by and I waited 7 months for it because they are shipped sporadically; I heard that some lucky souls only waited a few days for theirs because they hit when the shipment arrived. I may or may not do other things on it, but pens for sure. Like you, I'm not planning on another lathe. I have thought about a mill, but having invested in all the equipment needed to support a lathe, and the lead time to become proficient I have put that on hold. Besides, I am starting up my own little pen business and that is fun, too.

Pat McConnel

JPMcConnel

Nice!

Can you set it on solid concrete for better stability?

Cheers,
Rich

Its is a long story, but here are the gory details. My shop is built above ground because of the slope and a very large tree next to it; it sits on 6"X 6" posts, in cement, with double bolted 2X12" sill plates and jointed by 2X8" joists on joists hangers blocked every 16". The floor is two courses of plywood screwed and glued 1 3/8" thick. I was concerned about the weight of the lathe so I buttressed the floor under the lathe, under the shop with two 3X3' pylons of cement pavers on gravel supporting a double wide course of 6X6" 12 foot oak posts (from a barn I built), two courses of 2X8" oak planks 12 feet long, and finally shimmed to the floor joists. Directly under the lathe you can see two screwed down courses of 3/4" plywood to spread the load across seven joists. Finally, the lathe proper sits on machine leveler pads with metal and hard rubber feet. I also have blocks and shims for added stability. It is very stable, but flexible; it is also level.

Would I have preferred concrete, you bet. 27 years ago, when I built the shop we were only planning to live here at most seven years, now it looks like I may never move from here, LOL. Had I known, I would have added on to the house proper and had all the comforts of home and a cement floor. May still do that...

Thanks for asking,
Pat

ironman123

Good for you on the lathe purchase and getting it set up. Don't forget to show some pens that come from it. Happy turning on your new lathe.

Ray

Top Bottom