New lathe being considered for next year

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

Im aiming on picking up a new lathe around june, and have my eye on this one. Wouldn't mind peoples thoughts on it if anyones familiar with it? Mike the supplier which had your model no longer seem to be offering it, though this one looks similar, i cant say if its the same one under a different brand etc without comparing all the specs..

My budget in an ideal world is around £2500.00, and this is being offered by chester machine tools. if anyone can recommend a UK lathe dealer id be happy to take a look at theirs too :cool:

crusader-deluxe.jpg

Centre Height150mm
Maximum Swing300mm
Swing over Cross Slide178mm
Swing in Gap430mm
Length of Gap220mm
Distance between Centres810mm
Width of Bed185mm
Spindle Bore38mm
Spindle TaperMT5
Spindle NoseCamlock D1-4
Tailstock Quill Travel100mm
Tailstock TaperMT3
Cross Slide Travel160mm
Compound Slide Travel85mm
Saddle Travel600mm (with leadscrew guard)
Number of Speeds18
Metric Threads0.4 - 7mm in 26 Steps
Imperial Threads4-56 TPI in 34 Steps
Saddle Feed Range0.052 1.392mm/rev, in 32 Steps
Cross Feed Range0.014 0.386mm/rev, in 32 StepsMax.
Tool Size16mm
Motor1.5 hp
Power240 or 415volt
Net Weight450kgs
Dimensions (LxWxH)1780x650x1160mm

FEATURES:

• D1-4 Camlock Spindle
  • Hardened & Ground Bedways
  • Independent Leadscrew and Feed Rod
  • Gap Bed
  • Taper Roller Bearings
  • Cast Iron Bed
STANDARD ACCESSORIES:
  • 3 Jaw Chuck
  • 4 Jaw Chuck
  • Fixed Steady
  • Travelling Steady
  • Splash Guard
  • Machine Stand
  • Leadscrew Guard
  • MT5-MT3 Sleeve
  • Quick Change Toolpost
  • Toolholders
  • 2 x Steel Centres MT3
  • Manual And Parts List
  • Machine Lamp
  • Foot Switch
  • 2-Axis Digital Read Out
  • Coolant System

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Brad, that's a really wonderful machine and if you have the bucks, then go for it.
I have it's little brother, the DB10VS also from Chester lathes.
They are only about two miles from my house.

Please let me tell you a little about the company and it's tools.

First, I'm sure you are aware that they are all Chinese imports and are sold under various names.
To me, that's not a problem at all. EVERY machine from them comes with a test cert with it unique serial number on it, but there 'may' be some doubt as to the authenticity, if you know what I mean.

Chester primarily deal with institutions like schools and businesses and individuals don't always get attention unless you shout a bit.

I had a few issues with my machine that I had to shout REAL loud about before being taken seriously. The first time it was with inadequate earthing and I got thrown across my garage when I used my coolant system on my poorly earthed lathe !!:eek:

I have blown two VS drive cards. The first one they replaced and the second was my stupid mistake. After a little research I was able to fix my first one so now have a spare.

Dealing with Chester was 'hard work' and there never seems to be any customer satisfaction.
I have been to their showroom several times and each time come away dissapointed and my money still in my pocket.

Log onto Chester's forum and you can judge for yourself.

For some strange reason, I'd still buy from them, but probably only because they are so close and places like Axminster are so much more expensive.

They are open to the public during the week, but find out when their 'open days' are and pay them a visit. These days are great as there are some real machinist pros that demo the machines and as they don't work for Chester's, then they give answers to questions you never even thought of.!!:biggrin:

If you do pay them a visit, then please give me a shout and I'll come with you and get you lunch.:biggrin:

walshjp17

Looks like a beauty. With an almost 12" swing and 31 " bed that could yield some mighty huge pens ; >) I assume with specs like this lathe has, you'll be doing more than "penmanship".

BradG

Steve, thats good to hear you have dealt with them.. i usually use axminster but like you mentioned the prices are a bit spank worthy.. great service though cant fault them there. Other than that have you seen their range on the website lately? theres nothing in the middle, jumping from the mini lathe SC4 (great machine by the way) up to a £4K beast which would have SWMBO chasing me so not going there.. If i end up doing the showroom trip then il be sure to get in touch, sounds like a plan :)

Bellringer I agree the originals like the colchesters and bridgeport mills and very hard to beat, though you really have to go travel to see them to check out the bedways and everything else as you know... and thats something i just dont have time to do going all over the place. based on that i buy new. I couldnt even imagine the hassle of having to return a lathe of that size.

walsh, yes all sorts ;)

Haynie, concrete garage floor lol.

BradG

If you Are buying new look wt this one Chester UK LATHES - CRUSADER LATHE CHESTER 2 40V MT3 D1-4 SPINDLE NOSE 206-001 this were I buy loads and alls a lot of people I know use them also if you need any drills try drill service Metal Cutting Tools - Reamers, Small Hole Drilling, Drill Bits - Drill Service UK

Thanks i had a little dig around those links and have ordered a catalogue from them, so will study them well when they arrive. always good to learn of a new supplier!

bluwolf

Brad, I'm going to assume the Mike you were talking about is me since we've discussed my lathe before. That one looks to be very similar. The one odd thing that sticks out is that all the controls on the carriage (feed engage lever, thread engage lever, and longitudinal handwheel) are the reverse of my lathe. This is not a judgement just an observation. I'm just curious why the rest of the lathe looks identical but they would make this change.

Like the smaller lathes that get talked about a lot, like the 7xs and the 9x20s, these 12x36s probably all come out of the same factories with slightly different QC standards and different paint and names. It just seems like it would be an additional cost to change the carriage like that. But what do I know.

One of the features I like about it is that the feed and threading gears at the bottom also run in a separate oil bath. To the best of my knowledge, all the ones with levers for these changes are all dry and you have to keep them lubed manually. I also like the leadscrew cover on yours and the fact that it has carriage stop included. The halogen light looks nicer on yours too.

I was going to ask you if you were planning to get a DRO, then I saw the small print that says it includes one, something else I wouldn't want to do without now that I've had one. So, in shopping around, don't forget to take this into consideration also. They're at least $450 to $700 US to add after the fact, and that's for a cheaper one. And you still have to install it yourself. Not the end of the world, but why if you don't have to.

I'd say you got some seriously good insight from Steve about the company itself. Definitely something to think about. Then there's the one that Bellringer pointed out. Looks to be the exact same lathe as the one you pictured for an additional $350 UK. But it says nothing about a DRO. It also says that it's drop shipped from another vendor. So if you have problems, who do you deal with, MSC or the vendor? And what are the shipping costs from the two different companies? Just stuff to consider when trying to compare apples to apples, cost-wise.

The only thing I can add to Steve's great advice is to start picking up some of the other stuff you're going to need when the lathe arrives. I know you're thinking about tooling. But you're going to need gear lube and way oil to get you started. I think they ship them dry, or at least they're supposed to. You're also going to need leveling feet if they don't come with them. None of the ones I know of, come with them.

Oh, and if you go to Chester, I would definitely take Steve along, but you knew that already.

Mike

BradG

You assume correctly Mike i was referring to yourself. Yes a DRO is a requirement for me.. I guess its one of those things that once you have had one you wouldn't want to go back.

Thanks for the reminder to pick up the peripherals before hand, and i can see a field trip taking place early summer with Steve

Top Bottom