New Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

George417

I broke my piggy bank and found I had enough pennies and dimes for a new lathe. So, I ordered a new lathe from Little Machine Shop. It's a Deluxe 7 x 12
mini lathe with digital read outs on the cutters.

Attachments

• Little Machine Shop 7x12 Deluxe .jpg
    Little Machine Shop 7x12 Deluxe .jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 538
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

That's a nice looking lathe. I'm betting you are going to have some serious fun with that. The only thing I see wrong with it is somebody left the chuck key in the chuck . :wink:

Just judging from the pictures, it looks like it might have machined parts where a lot of similar lathes have cast parts (handles and such).

Ed

George417

That is not a mistake, I haven't chucked up anything yet. I will REMOVE the chuck Key.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

ctubbs

That is not a mistake, I haven't chucked up anything yet. I will REMOVE the chuck Key.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

No need to remove that key, George, the last time I checked, they are self-removable.:eek:

Charles

PS; Just remember when using the self-removing 'feature', DUCK! DAMHIKT:rolleyes::redface:

robutacion

Well, seriously...! one of these machines is a great addition to any work-shop, regardless. I can't count the number of times that I needed one of these or, stuffed around with the wood lathe to try getting something done that, was intended to be made with a metal lathe so, congrats George...!

The most expensive part is not the lathe but all the accessories that are made for them, like the beginning of wood-turning, all over again, huh...??:redface:

Good luck with it...!

Cheers
George

ugrad

The most expensive part is not the lathe but all the accessories that are made for them, like the beginning of wood-turning, all over again, huh...??:redface:

Good luck with it...!

Cheers
George

The cutters are are far cheaper than for wood turning, fortunately for me the tailstock of my metal lathe is the same as the wood turning lathe so most accessories I already have.

Regards
Peter

wortmanb

I've been thinking of getting something like this so I can (relatively) quickly do the threading & rough-turning of my pens on it, then do the final shaping on my Delta midi lathe by hand. Do you think this unit, now that you've had it a while, would be suitable for something like that, if I were working in batches?

cwolfs69

love mine as well

recently got my own little metal lathe having wanted one for wuite a while and making do with the wood lathe. hard to even describe how much easier many tasks are with the different type of machine. went ahead and ordered my mini mill last night.

as for the chuck wrench in the lathe. if you have ever seen what happens when the lathe starts you would not be taking that so lightly. i have fired people just for that mistake. it is obviously not self extracting or it wouldn't be there in the picture.

im not sayin jus sayin.

Dan Hintz

it is obviously not self extracting or it wouldn't be there in the picture.

im not sayin jus sayin.
Absolutely they are self-extracting... the moment you turn that sucker on it will extract itself! Now, you may not like the escape vector or the kinetic energy of the key, but it will extract itself quite quickly. :bulgy-eyes:

I made that boneheaded move when I first looked at one during an auction. During pre-show, I asked the guy if he could plug it in so I could see if it worked... it worked. Can't remember if I found the key, but the guy was NOT happy. I decided it was safer to have a new one delivered to my home than dealing with him again.

hard hat

The key that comes with this lathe has a spring on it to force the ejection. Also, the chuck guard has an interlock such that the motor cannot start unless it is down, and the chuck key gets in the way of that. I removed the spring from mine day one. Fear and respect are the greatest safety devices in the shop

Top Bottom