New Family Member(PM1127VF LB)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

A couple of years ago I inquired about two metal lathes and received some great feedback on both. Here is the thread on that. I ordered it right after I got back from my Vegas trip the end of April and it is finally on the FEDEX freight truck headed to Wichita Falls! Should be here tomorrow, i hope. I might have to take the next day off just from all of the anticipation and excitement of finally getting it!:eek::biggrin:
So as soon as this baby arrives on my docks, I will post pictures of the first time we lay eyes on each other and the challenges ahead (getting it to its resting place!-HOME)

PM-1127VF-Large-371x347.jpg
Minus the stand though

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

I'm seriously thinking about unfriending your right now! On the bright side though, there's no way you can get away with only making one or two pens a year now! Congrats on the new family member. I'll be watching the mail for my cigar.:biggrin:

Last edited:

seamus7227

I'm seriously thinking about unfriending your right now! On the bright side though, there's no way you can get away with only making one or two pens a year now! Congrats on the new family member. I'll be watching the mail for my cigar.:biggrin:

I will do my best to bump up my production now! Hoping to be able to thin some quarters out a little faster now!!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Great choice Seamus, I wavered between it and its bigger brother the 1236. THink I finally decided on the 1236 when I "trip the trigger" although it will be after the first of the year. Lots of good potential with that lathe.

MarkD

Awesome! I'm jealous! I have had my eye on those for awhile now.
I may have to try to keep up with the Seamus's :)

I have been looking at these also, they are better equipped than a lot of similar lathes and I really like the extra warranty. I did notice that in the manual they have online it says a three year warranty but their website says two years so I need to clarify before I buy. I look forward to your review of the machine.
Congratulatons

As a wise man once said be close with the lathe but do not forget the wonderful women who bought the stand. Divorces can be tough on lathes. It is a common reason for others to get one cheap. Just kidding

Congratulations and enjoy

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Congrats on the new 'family member' Seamus :biggrin: I'm sure you will enjoy it and I'm glad you decided to go for a proper sized one too!!!:tongue:

I just have one issue.........:mad:

Between you and Chuck, you are letting the male species down badly !!!! :rolleyes:
You take nearly two years to make up your mind which one you want and Chuck takes about twenty years to build his posh shed !!

Just kidding......:wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Congratulations Seamus! Great choice. I have made things with Mike Roux's PM Big x Gigantic. It is sweet.

BTW, pay no attention to the rodent in Wales. :biggrin: I think he's developed a streak of envy lately. Posh shed.....:rolleyes: :biggrin:

seamus7227

So here is my latest dilemma, the 5C chuck doesn't come with a back plate for mounting. Apparently it's something that has to be turned from scratch. And who wants to jack with that when you first get a new toy. Ugh

ForumRunner_20141005_015431.png

ForumRunner_20141005_015431.png

ForumRunner_20141005_015631.png

ForumRunner_20141005_015657.png

ForumRunner_20141005_015725.png

ForumRunner_20141005_015755.png

Curly

It's something you have to contend with on most every chuck that doesn't mount to one of the "D-" series spindle mounts. Mainly because there are so many types of lathe spindles out there. I had to do it for my collet chuck too as Grizzly didn't have the right D-5 plate for the chuck I bought and I didn't want to wait for one to come in. A more experience machinist familiar with that lathe should be able to tell you exactly what to do.

Basically you will need to.
>Bolt the plate to the headstock and I would put a mark on it and the shaft for future remounting. A small centre punch will do.

>Face off the adaptor until it is flat. The spigot in not needed with that chuck.

>Now you want to turn away enough material to make the reverse shape like the back of the 5C chuck. You do not need to make it fit full depth of the recess in the chuck, just create a locating shoulder. Half depth will be enough but you can go deeper if you want, but that will cut down on the number of chance to correct an opps. You also want it to be just a tiny bit bigger in diameter, 0.001 or 0.002 for a slight interference fit. A small chamfer will help with the assembly later.

>If you made it too small :eek: face it off and do it again, creeping up on the fit ever so slowly.

Assemble by.
>Putting the back plate in a plastic bag (make sure the surfaces a very clean) and put it in the freezer for a while to get good and cold. That will shrink it.

>Optional. Warming the 5C chuck will make it expand. Make sure the mating surfaces are very clean too. 100F to 150F is plenty.

>Get your bolts, wrenches and the 5C chuck ready.

>Take the frozen adapter plate and remove if from the bag and mate it to the chuck quickly and put in the bolts, tightening them evenly in rotation so it doesn't go on cockeyed. I use a torque wrench for final tightening but that's my aircraft mechanic background. :)

>Once the temperature equalizes, you're done. At least until you get another chuck. :wink:

JPMcConnel

Great choice of lathe Seamus! It was the lathe I really wanted to buy when I finally got serious about making pens. The Bank at my house was having none of it because it was "too heavy and too big." So I bought a Jet 1221 wood lathe, and sold it; bought a LMS HiTorque 8.5 X 16' and kept it; and then bought a PM1340GT, and kept it (1200 pounds). Think of all the money I would have saved if I had gotten my first choice, LOL. I would still like to have that PM1127VFLB lathe...

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
im thinking I may add one to my collection later next year. How has it been working out for you, any Problems?

seamus7227

No problems to report as of yet. However, I will say, it is advisable to take the apron/ carriage apart, clean all the goop off, and give everything a good tightening. There was some obvious slop until I did that. But it's still so new that I have yet to really get the chance to break it in well

Top Bottom