My Pm1236 Christmas Present to me

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Ever since I met Mike Roux.(Bluwolf) and got to use his PM1236 lathe I have considered, (ok lusted after) buying one. I finally tripped the trigger the first of this month and it was delivered today. I got the call that it would be delivered between noon and 6pm. Of course my daughter calls and needs me to pick up her daughter from day care because she is running late. No sooner do I leave than they show up to deliver the lathe. My wife had to sign for it and finally got to see the price tag. :biggrin:
MY 5 year old granddaughter standing next to it.
attachment.php

I used a floor jack to transfer the lathe crate off the shipping pallet and onto 3 furniture dollies and levered it into the garage. The one under the headstock area was twice the size of the small ones on the tailstock end.
The blue pieces are the base collumns for it.

attachment.php

sitting in place in my garage. It will take a couple of days for me to get it assembled and up on the bases. I still need to run electric for it. I will put a 220 twist receptacle in the ceiling and run a locking pigtail from the machine to it. I have to get my work done before I can get started on this and I need to get a lift to put it up on the bases when they are assembled.

attachment.php

Shipping weight is around 1200 lbs and it will use 8 of those adj feet to hold it up and level it. the orange and black pieces on the top of the head stock, 4 per base.

Attachments

• 1236 lathe b.NEF.jpg
    1236 lathe b.NEF.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,406
  • 1236 lathe C.NEF.jpg
    1236 lathe C.NEF.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 1,445
  • 1236 lathe A.NEF.jpg
    1236 lathe A.NEF.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 1,690
Last edited:

Curly

Congrats to the new toy adoption. My Grizzly of about the same size had an 8 point on 2 pedestal system too. A bear to level to say the least. Once done you will have a good time playing.

MarkD

I'm soooo jealous! If you see Santa please let him know that I want one just like that!!! :biggrin:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Thanks guys I will post more pictures as i go. That hole in the garage it is going in is where My Atlas th42 sat. I have so much stuffed into the garage I have to step outside to change my mind.:biggrin: I used to have a "U" Shaped walkway now its more of a "J" Like all children my granddaughter loves to be involved in what ever we do.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Thanks Marshall I may need some help. Not sure when I will be trying to lift it on the base and I may need something (or someone) soft and squishy to cushion the lathe should it drop. :biggrin: Normally I would use Chuck but he moved away.:frown:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Some more pics, I managed to sneak enough time to put the feet on the base. I used the calipers to get the 4 feet on each close enough to start. There is a slight slope to my floor so one group is 1/4 shorter than the other sets.

attachment.php

Next is a picture of the misc stuff that comes with the lathe. I couldnt find any bolts to assemble it, looked high and low for the box only to realize that there was a little tool box that came with it that had all this stuff in it, included the bolts.

attachment.php

With the bases up and hooked together I have picked the final location it will sit at. I will have to remove the bolts in the pan before I set the lathe. I will level it as close as I can with a carpenters level to .005 accuracy. I will then have to use a machinists level once the lathe is set to get it as close to "0" as I can.

attachment.php

Attachments

• lathe feet.NEF.jpg
    lathe feet.NEF.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 988
  • lathe misc 2.NEF.jpg
    lathe misc 2.NEF.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 761
  • lathe stand.NEF.jpg
    lathe stand.NEF.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 793

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Today was the day, I swung by Mike Roux's house and picked up the motor hoist from his neighbor he borrowed it from.
Marshall came over just as we were ready to start in. I had to vacate almost 1/2 my shop to be able to have the room to get the lift in position. yesterday I ran the wires through the attic and put a 22o twist lock plug in the ceiling above where the lathe will go.
We marked the floor around the feet with a sharpie and moved the base out of the way.

Pictures of Mike Roux and Marshall as the get ready and then are wrapping the strap around the lathe getting ready to lift it.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

We moved the lathe and lift over to where the lathe would rest before lifting it to far off the floor. The lathe was so balanced where they picked it up that we just moved the tailstock slightly until it was perfect and then picked the lathe up and slid the base back under it.

First one is Marshall steading the lathe from swinging.

attachment.php
attachment.php

setting it down on the base.

attachment.php
attachment.php

bolting it on

attachment.php

attachment.php

in place, leveled and hooked up.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• lathe day 5.NEF.jpg
    lathe day 5.NEF.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 728
  • lathe day 4.NEF.jpg
    lathe day 4.NEF.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 801
  • Lathe day 3.NEF.jpg
    Lathe day 3.NEF.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 823
  • lathe day 1.NEF.jpg
    lathe day 1.NEF.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 797
  • lathe day 6.NEF.jpg
    lathe day 6.NEF.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 692
  • Lathe day 7.NEF.jpg
    Lathe day 7.NEF.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 679
  • lathe day 8.NEF.jpg
    lathe day 8.NEF.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 753
  • lathe day 10.NEF.jpg
    lathe day 10.NEF.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 770
  • lathe day 13.NEF.jpg
    lathe day 13.NEF.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 782
  • lathe day 17.NEF.jpg
    lathe day 17.NEF.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,370
  • lathe day 18.NEF.jpg
    lathe day 18.NEF.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 791
Last edited:

TonyL

Use it in good health and make that little cutie some pens (or whatever is safe to make her).

bluwolf

I'm happy to say, the install went a good bit smoother and faster than mine. The bad news is, now Mike has no excuse to come over and visit. It was nice to get to see Marshall, and it was definitely nice to have a third set of hands. It would have been great to have Chuck there to supervise but somehow we managed without him:eek: BTW Mike, in case you didn't know, that's not really a coffee cup stand.

Mike

stonepecker

Looks like a great time was had by everyone involved.
Even the guys who weren't there.......the BS is something we all can enjoy.
Enjoy the lathe and when you have the time, post a few more pictures or even a Vid of you using it.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I anticipate great things to be born from this fantastic lathe and, skilled operator. I have seen first hand, what they CAN do.:wink: Have fun Mike!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I would reply but Im out in the shop playing on my new lathe, no I mean working hard on my new lathe................:wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I anticipate great things to be born from this fantastic lathe and, skilled operator. I have seen first hand, what they CAN do.:wink: Have fun Mike!

Wait....What? Who did Mike find to operate it?:tongue:
Those two guys who put it together. :biggrin: Although, I'm sure Mike put the camera down and, helped. They are all experienced with this lathe. :wink:

JPMcConnel

Congratulations on the new lathe; I know the excitement of jumping UP to a much bigger metal lathe. I received (finally after 7 months wait) my PM1340GT in July and it was so much larger than my old HiTorque 8.5 X 16 metal lathe that I wondered if I might have been over confident. Instead, it has made kitless pens more fun to make and given me a chance to try things I couldn't do on the other lathe. And it is rigid. Haven't looked back. Thanks for the idea of the Youtube videos on technique. As a relative newcomer I never know how hard to push such things. I'm also glad that more IAP members are at least trying metal lathes.

Dalepenkala

Congrats Mike! Hey when I come down for spring break I will be stopping in to see ya and check it out! :biggrin:
See ya in a couple of months! :wink:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I made my first pen on it for this years Christmas pen Pith, I cant post pictures until my Partner gets it. The rest of the time Im running it cant take pictures and run it at the same time.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
One of the slickest things I have learned that was a concern for me was threading my parts on it. I cut .75mm pitch threads sometimes only 4mm long (about .150) I found that with the lathe brake foot pedal I can cut at about 230 rpm and stop it on a half a dime. The foot brake is a true drum break set up not a motor brake. Step on it and it cuts the power and stops the spindle. Thats a huge bonus.

Top Bottom