My lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I thought I would put up some pics of my lathe as sort of a contribution to this new forum.:rolleyes: As you can see, it is a MicroMark Microlux Tru-inch 7x14 I really like this lathe as a starter for making pens. Purchased from an ad on Craigslist and, it was a used lathe. I had the good fortune of having Mike Roux check it out for me. He did some cleaning and, lubing as well as making adjustments. Gave me some valuable tips and how to's and how NOT to's. Thanks Mike! It IS my first metal lathe and, since I know very little about metal lathes, I can only comment on this one. I like the variable speed feature with the rpm display. The 14" bed gives me enough room for drilling even a 7" blank. I also like the cam lock on the tail stock. The run out registered at .003 I don't know if this is the best lathe of its type but, I do know I like it and, am having fun with it.

I will be adding the DRO features soon. That should be a big improvement. I want to also take this opportunity to thank these friends for their contributions to the forum. The info we receive from these guys is priceless. THANK YOU!

Attachments

• IMG_1002.JPG
    IMG_1002.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 720
  • IMG_1003.JPG
    IMG_1003.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_1005.JPG
    IMG_1005.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_1001.JPG
    IMG_1001.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_1000.JPG
    IMG_1000.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 507
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Chuck run out of under .003 is very difficult to achieve with out some serious tweaking. IN fact .003 is great and except for those anal :rolleyes: people whos intitials happen to be MR its not worth worring about.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck run out of under .003 is very difficult to achieve with out some serious tweaking. IN fact .003 is great and except for those anal :rolleyes: people whos intitials happen to be MR its not worth worring about.
:biggrin: It's those anals that, help us get things right. :biggrin: Yes, I meant that .003 was GOOD

BKelley

Chuck,

I'm sure you will like the lathe. I have a Grizzly 7x14 and from what I read and hear the MicroMark is a shade better than the Grizzly. What goodies did you get with it?
Let us see some of the pens off the new lathe.

Ben

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck,

I'm sure you will like the lathe. I have a Grizzly 7x14 and from what I read and hear the MicroMark is a shade better than the Grizzly. What goodies did you get with it?
Let us see some of the pens off the new lathe.

Ben
Ben, I didn't get anything worth a photo. Several broken HSS tools and a set of gears for threading and some quick change tool holders. Apparently the guy lost concentration MANY times.:confused:But, here are some pens I've made so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0889.JPG
    IMG_0889.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_0894.JPG
    IMG_0894.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_0906.JPG
    IMG_0906.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_0982.JPG
    IMG_0982.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 390

rej19

Chuck, I can see a metal lathe in my future....maybe. There was a Smithy 1220 at an auction here last week with a ton of accessories. I didn't know enough about them to risk bidding. I need to do some research.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck, I can see a metal lathe in my future....maybe. There was a Smithy 1220 at an auction here last week with a ton of accessories. I didn't know enough about them to risk bidding. I need to do some research.
Get busy. I have no knowledge of the Smithy. Accessories is a plus. They are lots of fun Ron. Might try minilathe.com for info. Best of luck, I hope it works out.

bluwolf

Chuck, all I did was point you in the general direction. You've been running away ever since:biggrin:

TomW

Mine looked like that when it came out of the box. Last time I saw it, it was disappearing under about 2 feet of alumilite ribbons and various shavings. I really need to clean up...

Tom

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Mine looked like that when it came out of the box. Last time I saw it, it was disappearing under about 2 feet of alumilite ribbons and various shavings. I really need to clean up...

Tom
Tom, it seems a shame that, you have one and, not using it. Just a feeling that came over me when I read this. Dig it out and, post a pen pic.:wink:

Very cool! I assume that most of the metal I see on your pens is aluminum?
Yes, it's aluminum 6061T Thanks!

cnirenberg

Looking good Chuck. I'm still laughing at Mike Redburn's comments on runout. I was lucky, I got MR's when he upgraded.....

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Looking good Chuck. I'm still laughing at Mike Redburn's comments on runout. I was lucky, I got MR's when he upgraded.....
Cris, you could not have gone wrong when you bought that lathe. Although I've never seen it, I'm sure it was in good condition being used by Mike.

Top Bottom