My Hercus 9 Restoration.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wm460

Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia,0860.
Finally got a nice cool day for a change, only 41°C.

So I thought I would start cleaning up my Hercus 9 and try and keep the missus happy.

I saw this lathe advertise in Alice Springs in a recycling yard ( Alice is the closest town 500 Km away) in March last year, I only wanted the stand for my Hercus 260, but when I picked it up I found out it was an Hercus ARL.

When I bought her home, I had to dismantle her to get her off the trailer and stacked the parts on an obsolete hospital bed, 6 month later I transferred to a different department at work so bought home my bench that I originally took there because it was too big for my shed.

For some reason the missus is keeps whinging about 2 lathes, a hospital bed and a bench on the back veranda, strange woman.

Attachments

• Messaging1520225984481.jpg
    Messaging1520225984481.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 406
  • Messaging1520225991098.jpg
    Messaging1520225991098.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC_2472 (Custom).JPG
    DSC_2472 (Custom).JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 395
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wm460

After I strip it back to bare metal, primed it with a kill rust primer, what further steps do I take before painting?

I am hoping the South Bend owner will be able to help mt with this restoration.

What is the best way to straighten this door?
Approx 3mm thick.

Attachments

• DSC_0140.JPG
    DSC_0140.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 300

Curly

Good scores. As you probably know you'll get the best advice from the Hercus section of the Metalwork forum in your country. For those that don't know the Hercus is the Aussie version of the Southbend and I think Atlas lathe too. They were all used a lot for the WW2 war effort.

There is a book on restoring the Southbend lathe that might be helpful to you.

https://www.amazon.ca/Guide-Renovat...ocphy=9001240&hvtargid=pla-523307802451&psc=1

wm460

A lest some one still does.
The dog has got the shiites with me, I was using a wire on my angle grinder and she was watching about 20' away and she got a couple bits of wire in her backside.

The missus is not happy about me buying a lathe for the lounge room.

Attachments

• devil (1).gif
    devil (1).gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 287

wm460

I was wondering how to cleaned up the corners etc, and the inside, I have been using an angle grinder with wirebrush.

My angle grinder are too big to fit inside the cabinet.

I dont have access to sand blasting equipment.

Attachments

• DSC_0174.JPG
    DSC_0174.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC_0201.JPG
    DSC_0201.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

MrPukaShell

I was wondering how to cleaned up the corners etc, and the inside, I have been using an angle grinder with wirebrush.

My angle grinder are too big to fit inside the cabinet.

I dont have access to sand blasting equipment.

What about paint stripper and rust remover to clean it up.

Curly

"I was wondering how to cleaned up the corners etc, and the inside,"

Uh the same way we all would do it before power tools. Grease your elbows and hand sand. :wink: Anything that isn't coming off easily can stay and get painted over.

wm460

I back didn't realise it is over a year, got side tracked put a new roof on the house, ( I dont recommend falling of roofs).
Kicking dad out of his house, spent a far bit of the time up and down the track to quacks and hospitals, 1000 km and 500 km south.

My new year revolution is to get stuck in to restoring the old girl.
Why is it a girl, the clue is in the name. HERcus.
funny.gif

I am looking for the following bearings, can any one give me a heads up where I can get them from?

FRONT HEADSTOCK TAPER ROLLER BEARING
Timken 18685 with 18620 cone, complete assy
REAR HEADSTOCK TAPER ROLLER BEARING
Timken 14138A with 14276 cone, complete assy

wm460

When I pulled the counter shaft assembly apart both bushed appeared tight until I pulled it apart.
DSC_2192.JPG

There are some parts the repeated soaking in degreaser and the gurney would not remove the baked on dirt and grease.

Sorry about the rust, I had it stored on the veranda, last weekend we had our first rain in over two years.

DSC_2203.jpg

Whats your recommendations for painting preparation?
Unfortunately the photo doesn't show it but after scrubbing with a green scouring pad, the bearings, in degreaser then detergent (the buggered one), it still felt oily and water beaded on like on oily surface.
Was wondering if electrolysis would work?

Curly

I am looking for the following bearings, can any one give me a heads up where I can get them from?

FRONT HEADSTOCK TAPER ROLLER BEARING
Timken 18685 with 18620 cone, complete assy
REAR HEADSTOCK TAPER ROLLER BEARING
Timken 14138A with 14276 cone, complete assy

I would go to one of the bearing suppliers in town and they would set me up but with you being in the boonies likely can't do that. I looked on Amazon and they do have each of the parts individually and they would add up to a couple hundred bucks plus delivery. It does say in the descriptions that they are wheel bearings so you might try an auto parts supplier. If you strike out there you have a number of bearing suppliers in oz when I do a search. They will be able to get them or an equivalent easily enough.

robutacion

Man, good luck with your "old girl" I can't help you with the restoration but I look forward to seeing it all done and working, you may need a much bigger shed/workshop and some AC to prevent you from frying your head...! :oops:

Take care,

Cheers
George

Tripletmom

I live 10 minutes from Timken World Headquarters and the Timken Roller Bearing plant. If you find a distributor/source in or near Canton, Ohio I would be willing to pick up and ship at cost only. Want to support the local economy!! There are several of those bearings listed NIB on eBay as well.
Janice

Top Bottom