Mini Mills?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

Looking to add a mini mill to my shop.
i have been looking at the mini mills from little machine shop and Harbor Freight.

Between the prices of the Hi torq package and making a package to equal the same with the harbor freight i still would save a few hundred dollars.

Which would you do?

I am leaning towards little machine Shop do to being able to talk to someone that is experience with the mill if problems happen.

i would eventually would like to convert it to cnc and both seem to have a lot of info online with the conversion.

If you have any experience with either let me know what you think of the mill.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BKelley

I have the LMS hi-torque mill and love it The people at LMS are most helpful and willing to be of service. I have added an auto-feed and also the rotary table to my mill. I don't thank you can go wrong with LMS.

Ben

ironman123

I have the discontinued Seig X1 Micro Mill from HF. Don't expect any helpful answers from HF about them. They just sell them.

I cnc'd mine on my own about 2005, and when anything needs to be replaced, if LMS doesn't have it I have to make it myself.

Ray

hanau

i think I am going to go with the LMS setup mainly since being pretty new to metal working the customer support I think will be very helpful.

rherrell

Why do you want to turn it into a CNC machine, that takes all the "fun" out of it!?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Unless of course you're into programming...then your idea of "fun" is ENTIRELY different than mine!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

hanau

Ended up getting the little Machine shop mill.

Electronics to go with the cnc conversion.

motors all wired up to the drivers and computer.

Geckodrive g540 - YouTube

Don't really have a plan yet with what I am going to make with it, but got a itch about a year ago to put one together and learn something new.

Last edited:

hanau

That is on my list to get.
Figured it would be best to get the first part of it figured out before trying a rotary axis.

I think learning software will be the hardest part.

BradG

Why do you want to turn it into a CNC machine, that takes all the "fun" out of it!?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Unless of course you're into programming...then your idea of "fun" is ENTIRELY different than mine!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

AnsiString fun;

if(rherrell->Personality->BoatFloater==TurningManually)
{
fun="be Hands on";
}
else
{
fun="Let it do it for me!";
}
ShowMessage("I like to"+fun.c_str());

:biggrin: :cool:

hanau

Got it together, had some issues with the mounts but have a couple temporary fixes. waiting for a reply from cncfusion on them.

I'll take a video tomorrow, think i got a little confused on the + and - direction of the x and y axis.
Then my keyboard keeps disconnecting and was being a pain in the ass. It went flying across the shop into the trash can.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Huh?

AnsiString fun;

if(rherrell->Personality->BoatFloater==TurningManually)
{
fun="be Hands on";
}
else
{
fun="Let it do it for me!";
}
ShowMessage("I like to"+fun.c_str());

:biggrin: :cool:

HUH ??? :) :)

vanngo5d

Wow nice setup you didn't waste any time, You went from wanting a mill to maybe a CNC convert to 1 month pass it's done full CNC.
I just wish I could get enough time to complete the laser I'm building.

hanau

A little update.

When I was trying to hook up the limit switches, i must of shorted something in the drive.
Had to send it back and get it repaired.
I ended up buying a refurbished drive to get me up and working.
The next day after ordering it, work said we had to work 2 weeks with no days off.
Wouldn't you now it, the repaired drive showed up Saturday my first day off in 2 weeks.

Now I have a backup or the beginning of another larger wood cnc table.

This is the first completed carve on my mini mill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom