mini lathe 7x12

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

graham murfin

Hi
I have been doing a bit taper turning on a colchester bantham a favourite of mine as it has a powered crosslide but still have to turn handles for tapers.
I have a recent mini lathe with variable speed, when i went to do some tapers the machine has the angles marked but it doesnt turn to them, they are just for show and the topslide is fixed 90 degrees - what a cheat :curse:
graham

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Graham, welcome to the forum. I really enjoy making my nibs with the "Etch-a-Scetch" method. It's fun cranking both wheels at the same time while, trying to get it right. However, not everyone likes the shape of them.:crying:

graham murfin

Hi Chuck

i was great at etch a sketch....making houses with wholopping chimneys, i tend to make form tools and move them about and blend them in.
Ive seen an attachement u take out the crosslide leadscrew and its spring loaded onto a form with a rear roller, a bit like the old copying capstans.
graham

bluwolf

Hi
I have been doing a bit taper turning on a colchester bantham a favourite of mine as it has a powered crosslide but still have to turn handles for tapers.
I have a recent mini lathe with variable speed, when i went to do some tapers the machine has the angles marked but it doesnt turn to them, they are just for show and the topslide is fixed 90 degrees - what a cheat :curse:
graham

I read this awhile back but it didn't set in (I can be rather slow sometimes). I don't know if you've checked but the mini's angle adjustment is under the topslide as opposed to on the sides of it. You have to crank the topslide back until you expose two bolts. Crack those loose, adjust your angle and snug them back up.

Mike

bluwolf

what a cheat :curse:
graham

Crack those loose, adjust your angle and snug them back up.

Mike

Then remove the handle from the top slide and put on an extra nut. Use a variable speed electric drill with a socket to provide a power top slide.

Chuckie

Yup, that's the way to do it. Much better surface finish. I've also put one of those cheap flexible extensions in between the socket and the topslide screw. It allows you to hold the drill at a more comfortable angle and doesn't transfer any of yours or the drill's movement into the crosslide.

Mike

graham murfin

Hi
graham

I read this awhile back but it didn't set in (I can be rather slow sometimes). I don't know if you've checked but the mini's angle adjustment is under the topslide as opposed to on the sides of it. You have to crank the topslide back until you expose two bolts. Crack those loose, adjust your angle and snug them back up.

Mike
Hi Mike
and thanks a lot you were right about the angled slide there must be a circular tee slot underneath, I,m never too old to learn.
graham

graham murfin

Hi Chuck
after looking at all the photos, and fancy turning, my pens are rather ordinary, i try to make a good job and use new ideas i think of, but they are not exotic and i suppose boring to fellas who make pens everyday, I am starting to use copper and brass with acrylics but wait a few weeks.:wink:
graham

Top Bottom