MicroMark 7x16 Bearings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knock10090

Hello,

New lathe owner.. I just received a nice Christmas present from my wife.. a new Micromark 7x16 lathe!! Ive been reading over all of the reviews and writeups on different things being done with and to these lathes..

One think I came across was the taper bearing upgrade. Is it worth doing the upgrade fresh out of the box? I have sourced the bearings locally and I am in the middle of putting together this lathe. Or should I run what is in it?

THanks
Matt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

I'd leave the bearings alone. You'll muck up the warranty and if you are only turning pens you will never notice a higher quality bearing in it. I don't think there is enough rigidity or precision built into the little lathe to benefit from the change either. It it makes you sleep better then have at it.

magpens

Hi Matt !! . Welcome to IAP !!

If you write something in the "Introductions" forum, you'll be entered in a newcomers prize drawing.

As for your lathe ... just go ahead and use it as is ... I have been using a 7x12 to make pens and other small things for 8 years and have had absolutely no problems.

Don't forget to make a pen for Santa !!

frank123

I would wait till when, or if, the bearings need attention.

I've always believed that if something is working, leave it alone till it isn't.

Nothing is ever quite as easy as you anticipate, especially the first time you try it.

More4dan

I have the 7" x 10" lathe and will be upgrading the bearings to taper bearings in the next month or so. From what I've read, I should expect less run out and a better surface finish on metal.

I'll let you know the results when completed. I'll also be changing the bed to a 16" length.

Danny

Woodster Will

I'd leave the bearings alone. You'll muck up the warranty and if you are only turning pens you will never notice a higher quality bearing in it. I don't think there is enough rigidity or precision built into the little lathe to benefit from the change either. It it makes you sleep better then have at it.

I'd second that, good advice.

bmachin

If you are going to do the upgrade, you should consider upgrading the spindle to one with a 4 inch flange. LMS has them available for both the Micromark and the Sieg C2 machines. Makes changing chucks a whole lot easier.

Of course if you already have a big investment in chucks and adaptors for the 3 inch flange, adaptors become a consideration.

There are a couple of articles online on both subjects.

That said, I'd leave a new lathe alone for a long time. There is a host of other improvements you can make that would make better use of your time in improving your lathe's performance.

Just FWIW,

Bill

Top Bottom