Micro-Mark Sale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

I received an email today that Micro-mark is having a Memorial Day sale and offering 25% off all on-line orders that expires May 29th. I called and verified that this includes the

This now forces me to seriously think about ordering one. If I do, what supporting accessories should I order? Accessories would also be at the 25% discount, so no better time to order everything. Would I go wrong ordering this lathe?

Thanks for the info. Kitless, here I come. :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timebandit

Theres no link to the lathe?? Also, you can make kitless pens without a metal lathe. No need to invest in this if thats all you are buying it for. You can make them on your wood lathe.

IPD_Mr

The link to the lathe is through Power Tools then machine tools. It makes the lathe $647.36 Not a bad deal. You have to go to their site through the email or the 25% off will not work.

beck3906

Theres no link to the lathe?? Also, you can make kitless pens without a metal lathe. No need to invest in this if thats all you are buying it for. You can make them on your wood lathe.

There will be future needs for the lathe, just getting started with ideas first. I can forward the email to anyone who is interested if you PM me.

Gilrock

I have noticed a big decline in the number of pens posted after someone acquires a metal lathe....including myself. :)

IPD_Mr

I have noticed a big decline in the number of pens posted after someone acquires a metal lathe....including myself. :)

And that makes perfect sense. Seriously how much time does it take to turn a blank round and mount it on some pre-made fittings? With kitless everything has to be made. Personally I would rather spend some time doing it and enjoying it rather than seeing how fast I can turn a blank and ram it on a kit. No offense, I know there are some on here that brag about how fast they can turn a blank, but unless you are into production turning how fun can that be?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Don't worry Gil....sometimes we just have other stuff to do. I just bought a light fixture to put over the lathe. Then, there will be another pen. I'm on Mikes side too.

Gilrock

Spill the beans. Whatcha making?:biggrin:

LOL...that was part of my point. The metal lathe opens up a lot of other doors besides making pens. Here's one project I have in the works...that's why I needed to part 3/4" steel. It sucks to make a part where you turn a 3/4" piece into a 1/4" shaft with a 3/4" disc on the end only to ruin the part trying to part it off after it's done.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3135

I have a stirling engine kit to build after I finish that one.

Plus I was kinda thinking of Timebandit. I know he inspired me to start making kitless and probably several others. I've missed seeing his pens and it seemed like he quit posting them after getting the metal lathe.

InvisibleMan

And that makes perfect sense. Seriously how much time does it take to turn a blank round and mount it on some pre-made fittings? With kitless everything has to be made. Personally I would rather spend some time doing it and enjoying it rather than seeing how fast I can turn a blank and ram it on a kit. No offense, I know there are some on here that brag about how fast they can turn a blank, but unless you are into production turning how fun can that be?

And I think this is where the metal lathe would be an asset for me. I enjoy the kitless process, but I also enjoy making segmented blanks and using burls, etc. With a wood lathe, as far as I know, kits are the way to go with these, as the "bling" factor is there to help the blanks I make pop. With a metal lathe, I could possibly produce bling that I can't with a wood lathe, making even more of the pen "custom", which makes me feel all tingly:biggrin:. Maybe my wood lathe can do more than I know though:confused:.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Rick, I haven't looked at the lathe you're referring to, but having owned one, I think you should jump right on it. Sounds like a good price.

Might consider a Quick Change Tool Post with some tool holders, some indexable carbide cutting tools (if it doesn't come with them) parting tool. Heck, there was a thread posted here that has all the recommended stuff. Do a quick search.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

And I think this is where the metal lathe would be an asset for me. I enjoy the kitless process, but I also enjoy making segmented blanks and using burls, etc. With a wood lathe, as far as I know, kits are the way to go with these, as the "bling" factor is there to help the blanks I make pop. With a metal lathe, I could possibly produce bling that I can't with a wood lathe, making even more of the pen "custom", which makes me feel all tingly:biggrin:. Maybe my wood lathe can do more than I know though:confused:.
Exactly.....a metal lathe can give you a few more options.

IPD_Mr

Don't worry Gil....sometimes we just have other stuff to do. I just bought a light fixture to put over the lathe. Then, there will be another pen. I'm on Mikes side too.

Then there is the nap before and after installing the light. :tongue:

One thing that I have found is the metal lathe makes working with the delicate segments and inlays a breeze.

Justturnin

NOO!!!!!!! WHYYYY!!!! Boy do I want a Metal Lathe to be able to branch out into other projects (pen and non-pen related). I would like to have a ML/Mill combo. Need to start saving the funds. I almost had them recently but then life happened and now I don't have them. From what I see this seems like a great deal. My only concern is the threads it can make are limited to Standard. Can gears be purchased on the side for it to be able to thread Metric?

yort81

I received an email today that Micro-mark is having a Memorial Day sale and offering 25% off all on-line orders that expires May 29th. I called and verified that this includes the

This now forces me to seriously think about ordering one. If I do, what supporting accessories should I order? Accessories would also be at the 25% discount, so no better time to order everything. Would I go wrong ordering this lathe?

Thanks for the info. Kitless, here I come. :biggrin:

How does one go about getting and email just like that....before the expiration date ? :bye::bye:

Top Bottom