Metal Lathe Tool Sharpening DVD

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Little Machine Shop special of the week is a DVD on sharpening HSS tools for the metal lathe. Also includes 10 tool bit blanks. I've ordered the DVD, but I doubt I'll have it in time to give a review before this special ends. If it's like other DVDs sold by LMS, the quality will be good, but that remains to be seen.

I'm particularly interested in the section on "preparing a parting tool for optimum performance". I just can't seem to get parting tools right. It would be nice to not have to use a hacksaw every time I want to part something.

For DVD + 1/4" tools:
Special of the Week - LittleMachineShop.com

For DVD + 5/16" tools:
DVD: Lathe Tool Sharpening and 5/16" Tool Bits - LittleMachineShop.com

For DVD + 3/8" tools:
DVD: Lathe Tool Sharpening and 3/8" Tool Bits - LittleMachineShop.com

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Got the DVD. Watched the DVD.

If you have never ground a tool for your lathe and you have no idea how to do it, this DVD could help you.

If you are able to grind tools that do fairly well on steel, but you struggle with other metals (e.g. brass, aluminum, copper) then you don't need to buy this DVD. Use less rake for brass and more for aluminum. (Use whatever you want for copper because it won't work anyway :biggrin: (at least that's my experience)). The following website would probably be more useful than this DVD to those with tool grinding experience.

Basic Lathe Tool Grinding

If you can't get a parting tool to completely part a piece of metal without a lot of drama, this DVD will not help you.

Bottom Line:

If you have never used a grinder or you have never been able to create a lathe tool that cleanly cuts metal, then this DVD may help you. Everyone else would be better off spending their money on other things.

Ed

plantman

Got the DVD. Watched the DVD.

If you have never ground a tool for your lathe and you have no idea how to do it, this DVD could help you.

If you are able to grind tools that do fairly well on steel, but you struggle with other metals (e.g. brass, aluminum, copper) then you don't need to buy this DVD. Use less rake for brass and more for aluminum. (Use whatever you want for copper because it won't work anyway :biggrin: (at least that's my experience)). The following website would probably be more useful than this DVD to those with tool grinding experience.

Basic Lathe Tool Grinding

If you can't get a parting tool to completely part a piece of metal without a lot of drama, this DVD will not help you.

Bottom Line:

If you have never used a grinder or you have never been able to create a lathe tool that cleanly cuts metal, then this DVD may help you. Everyone else would be better off spending their money on other things.

Ed

Thanks Ed for the web site Basic Lathe Tool Grinding. Even though I make and grind my own tools, you never know enough !!! Jim s

Top Bottom