Metal Lathe For Sale near Oklahoma City

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Not sure if this is the correct forum. I am reposting this from the 9x20lathe group on YAHOO. This is not me, I am just trying to help out if someone needs a metal lathe.

papaseven@yahoo.com
>>snip
My hobby has grown to the point that I'm gonna have to snag a bigger machine. I have had this lathe for about twelve years and have a few hundred hours on it. It has served me well and I hate to sell it but it has to go to make room for the new 12x36 It has had the following done to it Completely disassembled when I got, all parts deburred and all settings verified cleaned lubed and reassembled before I ever plugged it in Used 70% moly paste to lube anything metal to metal and Spindle bearings replaced last month with class 5 headstock bearings. Ball bearing compound mod. super smooth even with the gibs tight. 5 Inch back plate trued to zero on spindle. 5 inch three jaw chuck with inner and outer jaws. Holds less than a .0005 at 2 inches from chuck. Mounted and leveled on nice homemade heavy steel stand since it came out of the crate. Phase II toolpost that allows 3/16ths to 1/2 inch tools to be used. Comes with 2 holders and knurling tool. New belts Faceplate, steady and follow rest, Dead centers, Live Center, all feed and change gears 4 inch three jaw chuck I have lapped and scraped all the ways Headstock and bed were well aligned so I didn't have to touch the bolts on the headstock 4 Bolt compound clamp made from 1/2 inch steel. 2 inch thick steel plinth for heavy jobs that don't need the compound Clutch mods done to make clutch more reliable. Switch in front panel so you don't have to reach over the chuck to turn it on and off. Drill chuck for tailstock Spare parts included: 1-Feed Rod 1-Worm gear 2- sets of Bronze half nuts 1- tailstock quill 1- tailstock feed screw 2- 80 tooth plastic gears 1- cross slide nut that mounts under plinth 1- cross slide feed screw 1- new motor in box All parts are new and still in package None of these parts on the lathe are worn. I'm a nut about keeping spares on hand when you may have to wait on a slow boat from china to finish a ten minute job. I'll take 1000.00 dollars and I can guarantee you that's half of what I have in it. I'll throw a few tools in and some cutting tools to get you started and spend a couple hours with you if you're new to manual lathes. I live in central oklahoma and can meet someone out to 50 miles but why not come buy and run it yourself if you're close to OKC It's one of the quietest you'll find because the gears are moly coated " have a buddy at HPC coatings" NO rust or bad spots anywhere and it won't need anything except someone to run it. Thanks Gene 405-448-1422 anytime between 8 am and 10 pm central time I will ship it but you would have to make all arrangements to load it. Just had shoulder surgery so can't help load.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

man i would love to buy that! especially since the guy is only around 2 hrs and 15 minutes away! Just dont know that i can afford that bill. I guess i better keep saving. But dangit, all the good deals come around when you just dont have that kind of money, at least for me anyway.:frown:

btboone

Buy it and pay for it with the added capability it will add to your product line. A $50 pen can easily become a $200 pen with the right touches. It can also be written off as a business expense.

You would have to check out the machine, but with scraped ways, replaced bearings, a QCTP and the other modifications and tooling it is a compelling deal.

seamus7227

pictures of the lathe. I would really like to know from you metal lathe guru's whether or not this is a good deal. Also, here is part of the email sent from the guy describing the details.

"On the ones with the dial indicator I used a know true bar about 14 in long and chucked it up without any special care. As you can see from one end to the other it is almost dead nut.
The parts on the right of the one picture are all new spare parts that I bought when I bought the lathe. I have never had to replace anything but the Half nuts as the original ones were pot metal. I thought the replacements would be too so I ordered three sets but I bought them from Jet and they were bronze. Haven't had to replace them again but they are there if you would ever need them.
HF sent me a new motor as the one that came with it growled when I first turned it on. When I went to install it I found a loose wire on the start cap and it ran fine after I crimped it back on and has ever since but there again it's there if you would ever need it.
The bench is homemade but very sturdy. "

Attachments

• Dial indicator runout.JPG
    Dial indicator runout.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 706
  • Dial indicator runout near headstock.JPG
    Dial indicator runout near headstock.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 739
  • extra motor.JPG
    extra motor.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 370
  • front of lathe.JPG
    front of lathe.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 570
  • full shot of lathe.JPG
    full shot of lathe.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 635
  • Gearbox.JPG
    Gearbox.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 934
  • lathe 2.JPG
    lathe 2.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,765
  • lathe accessories.JPG
    lathe accessories.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,418
  • lathe accessories2.JPG
    lathe accessories2.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 404
  • overall lathe accessories.JPG
    overall lathe accessories.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 507
  • quick change tool post.JPG
    quick change tool post.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,137

randyrls

I will add to the discussion that these lathes from HF, Grizzly, need some touch-ups and enhancements to improve the rigidity, accuracy, and quality of the lathe. The scraping normally needs to be done. This is the difference between a lathe under $1000, and a lathe that sells for $10,000. The Quick Change Tool Post makes it a breeze to adjust the tool height. He has added a four screw mounting plate for the compound. This makes the compound more rigid and is a must-do for 9x20 lathes.

bitshird

Seamus, I have the Jet version SAME lathe, mine was used when I got it 10 years ago and was about 5 or 6 years old and you can not believe what I put that thing through I replaced the headstock bearings 2 years ago.
Hard to believe the stress that turning Square Stainless Steel does to stuff, I've used Harbor Freight parts to replace stuff like gibs, cross slide screws, and lead screw . trust me the Harbor freight 9x20 is same machine as the 1800.00 Jet BN 920. The stand for either one is a piece of crap though , Build a Strong bench, the only weak thing on it is threading, it's a pain in the bum. Really if the guy has done the work he says, it's a heck of a buy. also the Phase II QCTP is way stronger than the one from A2Z, I know Tim Goldstein and his stuff for Sherline equipment is first rate, but his piston driven tool post is just a little bit weak.

Heh Heh I only paid 350.00 for mine and just turned down 750.00 for it.

Last edited:

seamus7227

My bigest problem is, if i'm gonna make this kind of investment in a lathe, i dont want to find out down the road that i should have gone with something different, or worst, learn that i should have spent an extra hundred dollar bill and bought "x" lathe instead

Rich L

Here are a few things that strike me about this whole thing:

1) Overpriced for a 12 year-old lathe with moderate use.
2) Unless you know the sellers machine repair capability just hearing he scraped the ways means nothing. That really takes some skill and the right equipment. I don't care what you do to this machine - you will not get a Hardinge HLV out of it.
3) his runout "demonstration" with a 14 inch bar stuck in a three jaw scroll chuck with built-in factory spindle runout probably greater that what he's "demonstrating" is ridiculous. Since you can't improve runout what's important is parallelism of the spindle axis to the saddle bed ways and he did not demonstrate that.
4) He seems to have spent a lot of time on babying this lathe and he's probably very proud of it but I don't think it commands that price.

Perhaps if he wanted $500 for it ... then again, if you buy it, it just might be the cat's meow for you.

bitshird and randyrls made related comments about what the guy said he did and how well he did it. I'd visit the guy and take your own prüfdorn and dial indicator showing tenths and check it out. It may purr at you.

My cent.

Cheers,
Rich

seamus7227

Here are a few things that strike me about this whole thing:

1) Overpriced for a 12 year-old lathe with moderate use.
2) Unless you know the sellers machine repair capability just hearing he scraped the ways means nothing. That really takes some skill and the right equipment. I don't care what you do to this machine - you will not get a Hardinge HLV out of it.
3) his runout "demonstration" with a 14 inch bar stuck in a three jaw scroll chuck with built-in factory spindle runout probably greater that what he's "demonstrating" is ridiculous. Since you can't improve runout what's important is parallelism of the spindle axis to the saddle bed ways and he did not demonstrate that.
4) He seems to have spent a lot of time on babying this lathe and he's probably very proud of it but I don't think it commands that price.

Perhaps if he wanted $500 for it ... then again, if you buy it, it just might be the cat's meow for you.

bitshird and randyrls made related comments about what the guy said he did and how well he did it. I'd visit the guy and take your own prüfdorn and dial indicator showing tenths and check it out. It may purr at you.

My cent.

Cheers,
Rich

to be quite honest about it, i really know nothing about metal lathes, I would really need someone who knows what they are talking about to be with me to tell me whether or not its a P.O.S.

IPD_Mr

Not saying that others are not as knowledgeable, but I would take to heart a lot of what Rich says. If you have ever seen some of the manchines that he has restore, he knows what he is talking about.

OKLAHOMAN

Seamus, perhaps you can talk Paul Huffman (Paul in OKC) here in the city to go with you on a Saturday if he has the time. He's an old (not in years but experience) time machinist with loads of knowledge. Just a thought...

Rich L

Great suggestion!

Yes, there's got to be some machinist you can take with you - buy 'em lunch, case of beer. What you discover whether or not you buy will be well worth the price. If you buy it, you can use the help to unload! I don't know what industry you're in but a good probability that any number of those machinist folks you can find or get introduced to would love to help you inspect it if they have time.

Also, if you haven't already, I suggest you join the yahoo group where this ad came from, join CNCzone and read the 9x20 lathe posts in the "benchtop" forum and take a shot at Practical Machinist. A lot might be way over your head to start but you'll catch on.

Cheers,
Rich

Paul in OKC

Now on Craigslist for $1100. Wha tmakes the price is most likely the extras, and the coating on the parts, yadayadayada. Nice lathe though. As far as practical machinist site ( a great site, but...), they tend to think of these as chinese hobby lathes and will suggest you go elsewhere. (like cnczone, or the yahoo group)

Top Bottom